LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/)
-   Track and Technique (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100/)
-   -   Driving instruction in Atlanta (https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100/driving-instruction-atlanta-464524/)

Agent_86 12-02-2018 04:55 AM

Driving instruction in Atlanta

Can anyone recommend a good intro class or instructor in or around Atlanta? Thanks in advance.

eldonz 12-02-2018 06:09 AM

There is the Porsche Driving experience located in Atlanta. You also have the Porsche Driving school at Barber Motorsports in Alabama. There is Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motorsports Park north of the city. They both run several track days. There is also the BMW driving experience in South Carolina.

It would be more helpful if you would state, in more detail, what you are looking for and what kind of budget you have.

Later,
Eldon

Agent_86 12-02-2018 09:44 AM

I'm looking for intro instruction to track driving at the price it takes. Not looking for the branded experience like the BMW or Porsche events unless that's the best deal on good instruction.

eldonz 12-02-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent_86 (Post 5907554)
I'm looking for intro instruction to track driving at the price it takes. Not looking for the branded experience like the BMW or Porsche events unless that's the best deal on good instruction.

I put my wife through the Porsche Driving school at Barber and I would say that it is worth the money, not inexpensive. They are there to provide you a good experience but they have several drills and on-track experience to make sure that you learn if that is what you want. The majority of the instructors are current or former pro-drivers.

My wife took the 2 Day driving experience followed up with the 2 day Masters course. I took the 2 day Masters course because I was not going to stand around for another 2 days doing nothing but watching. I had to get a waiver to skip the first class but I have considerable racing experience. I enjoyed the class and recommend it to many friends. It is a fantastic way to get track experience in cars that are capable of letting you push your limits.

Later,
Eldon

kfennell 12-02-2018 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent_86 (Post 5907554)

Do you want to drive your car, or someone elses car? Do you want in car or just post session instruction? Do you want to just do HPDE as your end goal or get a racing licence? Do you have any experience? Even driving in the snow?

This question is kind of like asking what car should I buy with no back story. Depending on your anwers the best bet might be to fly to one of the "schools" or it might be to just take your car out to a chin track day at RA.

XHILR8N! 12-02-2018 10:59 AM

Porsche Club events are great to start out with. Rules are tight, a lot of focus on getting your car (and you!) home ok.

Several others visit Road Atlanta. NASA, CHIN, Iím sure there are others. NASA steers you towards racing more, CHIN delivers a lot of track time. In early groups passing is quite regulated, a good thing. Later on can pass anywhere, lotsa fun.

Thatís a great track, pretty fast though. Not the kindest on mistakes though.

Carolina Motorsport Park up near Camden SC ic very good for beginners.

jmcwpb 12-02-2018 11:41 AM

Road Atlanta Driving school

Google Road Atlanta Driving School and you will get several schools that run there.

SS Lotus Elise 12-02-2018 12:44 PM

Atlanta Motorsports Park has a couple programs. One is an intro with an instructor in your car. The other is in a race car with several options.

If you are looking at tracking your own car for fun, there are two local groups, Just Track It and Jzilla, that run what is called High Performance Driving Experience, which basically is driving with others on the track but not racing them. You start out in the novice class with an instructor who will make sure you learn to drive on the track safely first, then work on the correct line, braking, and passing. Both clubs run many local events at Road Atlanta (JTI was just there last Friday) and Atlanta Motorsports Park, as well as some other tracks within a few hours driving distance. I have been running with Just Track It for a couple years now and they are great with getting you on the track safely. I know several of their instructors (including one who has a Lotus), so message me if you want more info.

Stan

lotus72Eur 12-02-2018 01:06 PM

:facepalm. My best advice for driving in Atlanta is to avoid rush hour traffic!

titaniumdave 12-02-2018 03:03 PM

Mark Hicks at Chin does the best program I have been fortunate enough to be a part of his coaching team:
Road Atlanta | Chin Track Days

You just missed a weekend at Road Atlanta...

ProCoach 01-01-2019 04:42 PM

For private coaches, there are several. Seth Thomas, Andrew Davis, David Murry are all local.