Driving instruction in Atlanta - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Driving instruction in Atlanta

Can anyone recommend a good intro class or instructor in or around Atlanta? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 06:09 AM

There is the Porsche Driving experience located in Atlanta. You also have the Porsche Driving school at Barber Motorsports in Alabama. There is Road Atlanta and Atlanta Motorsports Park north of the city. They both run several track days. There is also the BMW driving experience in South Carolina.

It would be more helpful if you would state, in more detail, what you are looking for and what kind of budget you have.

Later,
Eldon
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

I'm looking for intro instruction to track driving at the price it takes. Not looking for the branded experience like the BMW or Porsche events unless that's the best deal on good instruction.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_86 View Post
I'm looking for intro instruction to track driving at the price it takes. Not looking for the branded experience like the BMW or Porsche events unless that's the best deal on good instruction.
I put my wife through the Porsche Driving school at Barber and I would say that it is worth the money, not inexpensive. They are there to provide you a good experience but they have several drills and on-track experience to make sure that you learn if that is what you want. The majority of the instructors are current or former pro-drivers.

My wife took the 2 Day driving experience followed up with the 2 day Masters course. I took the 2 day Masters course because I was not going to stand around for another 2 days doing nothing but watching. I had to get a waiver to skip the first class but I have considerable racing experience. I enjoyed the class and recommend it to many friends. It is a fantastic way to get track experience in cars that are capable of letting you push your limits.

Later,
Eldon
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_86 View Post
Do you want to drive your car, or someone elses car? Do you want in car or just post session instruction? Do you want to just do HPDE as your end goal or get a racing licence? Do you have any experience? Even driving in the snow?

This question is kind of like asking what car should I buy with no back story. Depending on your anwers the best bet might be to fly to one of the "schools" or it might be to just take your car out to a chin track day at RA.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 10:59 AM

Garage
Porsche Club events are great to start out with. Rules are tight, a lot of focus on getting your car (and you!) home ok.

Several others visit Road Atlanta. NASA, CHIN, Iím sure there are others. NASA steers you towards racing more, CHIN delivers a lot of track time. In early groups passing is quite regulated, a good thing. Later on can pass anywhere, lotsa fun.

Thatís a great track, pretty fast though. Not the kindest on mistakes though.

Carolina Motorsport Park up near Camden SC ic very good for beginners.

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 11:41 AM

Road Atlanta Driving school

Google Road Atlanta Driving School and you will get several schools that run there.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 12:44 PM

Garage
Atlanta Motorsports Park has a couple programs. One is an intro with an instructor in your car. The other is in a race car with several options.

If you are looking at tracking your own car for fun, there are two local groups, Just Track It and Jzilla, that run what is called High Performance Driving Experience, which basically is driving with others on the track but not racing them. You start out in the novice class with an instructor who will make sure you learn to drive on the track safely first, then work on the correct line, braking, and passing. Both clubs run many local events at Road Atlanta (JTI was just there last Friday) and Atlanta Motorsports Park, as well as some other tracks within a few hours driving distance. I have been running with Just Track It for a couple years now and they are great with getting you on the track safely. I know several of their instructors (including one who has a Lotus), so message me if you want more info.

Stan
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 01:06 PM

. My best advice for driving in Atlanta is to avoid rush hour traffic!

"It always seems to be something!"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 03:03 PM

Mark Hicks at Chin does the best program I have been fortunate enough to be a part of his coaching team:
Road Atlanta | Chin Track Days

You just missed a weekend at Road Atlanta...

2006 Elise with BOE 400 supercharger and some aero mods, CRF floating oversized rotors, MCS single adjust coil overs, CRF exhaust, CRF sway bar w/adjustable link, mono-ball pivots, machined steer arms, baffled oil pan, CRF titanium toe link brace, hardened motor mounts, Ethos wheels w/Yoko slicks
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 04:42 PM

For private coaches, there are several. Seth Thomas, Andrew Davis, David Murry are all local.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Track and Technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in