Driving Tips, Part 3 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
glb

Driving Tips, Part 3

CHAPTER THREE:

Vision, Continued: I can’t believe I left out one of the most important rules. Yes, it’s so important, it’s a rule.

It is the natural human tendency to spend more time looking at what is nearest to us. This is fine when checking out “babes,” or whatever you young people call it these days. But, it is very, extremely bad when driving.

Look up the road as far as you can. This allows you to anticipate what might befall you: Car changing lanes, accidents happened or about to, emergency vehicles, lane closures, radar traps, broken vehicles not in the breakdown lane, etc.

This habit (and it surely should become one) will not inhibit your noticing what is happening closer to you. Trust me. What you want to do is lengthen your field of vision, so it encompasses what’s near and what’s far.

Try this: walk onto a long, straight street with cars parked on both sides. Stand there (not in traffic, mind you) and look up the road as far as you can. If any car right near you moves even a little, you will see it. You will see everything. You will become one with the world. No, strike that last part. That’s for my next religious treatise.

It is a known fact, known by me anyway, that most drivers scan only about 30’ to 40’ ahead. This is bad news when it takes the average car 130’ to stop from 60 mph.

My Lotus Elan once broke down on a road with no shoulder. I set up my safety triangles well before the car and turned on my flashers. (Of course, some flashers are more easily turned on than others. But, that’s another topic.) This was a 40 mph straight road. Cars almost hit my furthest triangle about every 2 minutes. These drivers were looking only at the car ahead of them and when that car moved out of the lane, those drivers were nonplussed. (No one is ever plussed, except for pregnant women and people with worms.)

This brings us to….

What You Should Carry in Your Car:

• A good, big flashlight, with fresh (not sassy) batteries.
• Latex gloves for changing a flat without getting dirty.
• A set of 3 Safety Triangles, avail at any auto parts store. Set them very far down the road ahead of you. It doesn’t help to put them so close to your car that another driver crashes into your triangles and you simultaneously. BTW, flares are no good; they don’t last very long and give other cars flat tires.
• A pack of Kents, in case you ever drive me somewhere.
• Tranquilizers, also in case you ever drive me anywhere. We’ll both be taking them; I am the world’s worst passenger. You have no idea. Really.
• One or two cans of Fix-a-Flat. Sometimes it’s safer to use this than change a tire.
• First aid kit
• Blanket, for victims of your poor driving and to keep warm when you break down in the winter.
• A spare tire actually inflated to proper specs.
• A “head light,’ which is another flashlight that straps onto your head so you can see what you’re doing when you need two hands. Can also be good for that fumbling, furtive sex you’re about to start having. This is optional (both the sex and the headlight).
• Spare fuses.
• Duct tape. Trust me.
• In old cars: Spare radiator hoses and fan belts.
• I actually carry 100’ of rope. I could use it for towing someone out of trouble, but I really decided to carry it after watching a horror movie. Don’t ask.

I’m sure I’ll think of other stuff for your trunk later. Perhaps I’ll even check my trunk.

Learn How to Change a Flat: Even if you have AAA, AA, whatever, you need to know this. Your car manual, which I’m sure you read, will tell you what to do. Here’s what it won’t tell you. If you’ve loosened the lug nuts and the wheel is stuck to the axle, lower the car and kick the tire. If that doesn’t work, put the nuts back on a tad loosely. Drive the car two feet. This will loosen the wheel. (It’s stuck because dissimilar metals tend to oxidize together. I use Anti-Seize to avoid this. You can ask me about it.)

Why do you need to know this? Sometimes you can’t wait around for help. Also, no one looks more like a pussy than a guy with a flat waiting for AAA. And, you might have to help some lovely young thing change her tire. Note: Do NOT puncture the tires of lyts to try to meet them. It’s just not fair.

Part Whatever continued:

Vision: Yes, THAT again. It’s important and why they don’t let blind people drive. Although, Ray Charles did a bit. But, probably not well.

This is another rule (i.e. vital). DO NOT outdrive your vision or lights. If it’s foggy and you can see only 30’ ahead, you must drive slowly enough to be able to stop in under 30’.

Otherwise, when you finally see something, you won’t be able to stop in time. You will hit that something. Probably hard.

Same deal with headlights. They go up the road only a finite distance. You must be able to stop in time when they illuminate something with which you’d prefer not to merge. Probably hard.

Common sense is, of course, a misnomer. It’s not common at all. Evidence abounds.

Do you know the difference between genius and stupidity? Genius has its limits.

Merging: Not the above kind, the highway kind. Don’t enter a highway too slowly. After all, you’re trying to merge with cars doing 60. It’s an obvious, but little known, fact that your brakes are more efficient than your engine. You can stop from 60 in about 130 feet, but you can’t accelerate from 0 – 60 in 130 feet. NOTE that this doesn’t mean you should enter the highway at 90; that causes other problems. Remember, no surprises.

Parking Brake: Use it all the time. Well, when you’re stopped anyway. I have a neat pb trick for when and if you ever drive a stick and find yourself on a steep hill (in a car).

To relieve stress on the parking pawl of your automatic transmission, especially on hills, put the parking brake on. When the car settles against it, only then put the car in Park.

Picking the Lane that Will Move the Fastest: Some methods for this are obvious, like getting behind the sports car and not the garbage truck. But, there are other techniques. Don’t get behind old people, especially old men wearing hats. Especially when it’s warm out. Also, don’t pick any lane on any road in Florida.

Want to know the best way to pick the best tollbooth lane? That’s easy: Just get into the lane next to the one I’m in. Actually, all toll collection areas have their own patterns and it pays to learn them if you find yourself there a lot. Usually, it’s the extreme right, but that can be dangerous and I know plenty of toll areas where it’s the extreme left.

Whatever you do, get EZ Pass – or its equivalent in whatever god-forsaken state you inhabit. But, remember to cover it in the foil bag if you are committing a crime and don’t want to be traced.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 02:12 PM

One thing I learned when i used to ride motorcycles on the street is too look at (or notice), the head movement of driver in front of you, usually in the lane next to you. most poeple will attempt to check their side view mirrors before changing lanes. Since most people do not have these mirrors adjusted properly, and since the Lotus is so small,frequntly you will not be seen or recognized as being in the lane.
you can use this cue as a way to see that someone is (thinking about) going to change lanes before they signal, or even start the process.
just a tip that has saved my arse more than once

1977 Crossle 32F
1999 Spec Miata
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 02:23 PM

Thank you for a very entertaining, multi part read.

I must say, you remind me of my father when I was 15 and driving his car. Only difference was the manual driving. I learned how to rev match downshift before I had my license, and taught myself how to heel and toe soon there after.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
glb

Fishguy -

Good tip, thanks. Will edit it in.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-15-2007, 06:03 PM

Fantastic read! Thanks for putting it together. You have a talent for humorous writing.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy View Post
One thing I learned when i used to ride motorcycles on the street is too look at (or notice), the head movement of driver in front of you, usually in the lane next to you. most poeple will attempt to check their side view mirrors before changing lanes. Since most people do not have these mirrors adjusted properly, and since the Lotus is so small,frequntly you will not be seen or recognized as being in the lane.
you can use this cue as a way to see that someone is (thinking about) going to change lanes before they signal, or even start the process.
just a tip that has saved my arse more than once
I do this a lot. If you do it often enough, it seems to tie into your sense of intuition.
It has saved me countless times. People at the wheel usually exhibit an unconscious physical movement of the head and/or shoulders in preparation for a change of their vehicles direction. You'll notice a drop of the shoulder as they reach for the turn signals, maybe check the nearside mirror for following cars.

I avoid following minivans and SUV because you cannot see the driver except in the driver's side mirror. These vehicle usually contain inattentive/distracted drivers, in my opinion.
I don't hang around large commercial vehicles due to the massive blind spots, and the propensity for them to shed large parts of vehicle or cargo.

m
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegit View Post
I do this a lot. If you do it often enough, it seems to tie into your sense of intuition.
It has saved me countless times. People at the wheel usually exhibit an unconscious physical movement of the head and/or shoulders in preparation for a change of their vehicles direction. You'll notice a drop of the shoulder as they reach for the turn signals, maybe check the nearside mirror for following cars.

I avoid following minivans and SUV because you cannot see the driver except in the driver's side mirror. These vehicle usually contain inattentive/distracted drivers, in my opinion.
I don't hang around large commercial vehicles due to the massive blind spots, and the propensity for them to shed large parts of vehicle or cargo.

m
Absolutely. I'm often amazed that I can tell someone is turning or changing lanes before they do. Head and vehicle movements are excellent clues, given that I am not a pyschic (but may be psycho..)

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 10:13 AM

Thank you for the tips! I have been driving since I was 16 and people still say I'm a bad driver!!! But I try to drive well..... (and I did take driver's ed in high school)!!!

Women who behave rarely make history!!!

Katherine
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 10:44 AM
xtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exigest View Post
Fantastic read! Thanks for putting it together. You have a talent for humorous writing.
He didn't write it. At least not all of it. Or at least not recently.

I know I've read at least certain chunks of it, verbatim, in the past.

xtn

2006 McLareghini Bugatterrari, Storm Titanium... installed: air horn, Scroth 4-point ASM harnesses, Sector111 halon extinguisher and mounting bracket, Von Hep exhaust and rear panel delete, Pagid brake pads, red Volks CE28n wheels, Toyo RA-1 tires, Nitron SA coilovers, Sector111 (WorksBell) quick-disconnect steering wheel kit. awaiting installation: Scroth "pull-up" lap belts, Sector111 RTD Brace, Tony's heater bypass mod, and dropped steering rack mounting plates.

Last edited by xtn; 12-17-2007 at 05:44 AM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtn View Post
He didn't write it. At least not all of it. Or at least not recently.

I know I've read at least certain chunks of it, verbatim, in the past.

xtn
I don't know what you mean here. Every word was written by me. If you've read certain statements before, it was on Ltalk, posted by me.

I certainly hope you are not accusing me of plagiarism. Are you?

(Transio once did that, about a political thread I wrote: How Bush brought Iraq & US closer together [but in unexpected ways]. Eg: Too many assault weapons, womens' rights being diminished, religion having too big a role...etc. He did apologize.)

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
Thank you for the tips! I have been driving since I was 16 and people still say I'm a bad driver!!! But I try to drive well..... (and I did take driver's ed in high school)!!!
TW-

I think anyone (assuming no pyschological impairment) can improve his/her driving. It requires only self-examination and a bit of work.

Why are you termed a bad driver? That's the 1st question. Lots of accidents, near misses, lack of awareness...what?

My friend's wife wrecks a car every 3-4 yrs, w/plenty of accidents in between. She has psychological issues, however. I suggested fastening old tires all around her car, sorta like a pier.

While her car was in the body shop, she rented a car. She is not legally allowed to drive her husband's car and pays many thousands for insurance.

Did she take the collision damage waiver? NO. Did she get in an accident w/the rental car? Of course.

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
TW-

I think anyone (assuming no pyschological impairment) can improve his/her driving. It requires only self-examination and a bit of work.

Why are you termed a bad driver? That's the 1st question. Lots of accidents, near misses, lack of awareness...what?

My friend's wife wrecks a car every 3-4 yrs, w/plenty of accidents in between. She has psychological issues, however. I suggested fastening old tires all around her car, sorta like a pier.

While her car was in the body shop, she rented a car. She is not legally allowed to drive her husband's car and pays many thousands for insurance.

Did she take the collision damage waiver? NO. Did she get in an accident w/the rental car? Of course.
No- I'm not that bad a driver! One accident almost 3 years ago- I was looking at my pay check stub and was not paying attention(stupid).I got a ticket for runnning a red light . The other guy got a ticket for no insurance. I've been accused of not driving aggressively enough! No one was hurt thank God. It was basically a fender bender to his huge truck. My car looked much worse with front end damage. So, your tips are greatly appreciated!

Women who behave rarely make history!!!

Katherine

Last edited by Trainwreck; 12-16-2007 at 05:05 PM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck View Post
No- I'm not that bad a driver! One accident almost 3 years ago- I was looking at my pay check stub and was not paying attention(stupid).I got a ticket for runnning a red light . The other guy got a ticket for no insurance. I've been accused of not driving aggressively enough! No one was hurt thank God. It was basically a fender bender to his huge truck. My car looked much worse with front end damamge. So, your tips are greatly appreciated!
No, no one is quite as bad as she.

I posted something a few wks ago about how most accidents are caused by drivers inattention (tuning radio, smoking, cell phone, pay stubs, etc.) for 3 seconds. At 30 mph, your car travels 44'/second, so 3 seconds is 132'.

Here, I mentioned how certain areas require > attention, e.g. intersections.

I doubt that it's often where driving > aggressively improves safety. I have been in situations where the gas pedal was > appopriate than the brake, but not often.

Note, tho, that cars stop much more quickly than they accelerate...which is why on hwy merges I always do 120 mph...

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 08:03 PM
xtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
I don't know what you mean here. Every word was written by me. If you've read certain statements before, it was on Ltalk, posted by me.

I certainly hope you are not accusing me of plagiarism. Are you?
I am EITHER:

1. accusing you of plagiarism, OR
2. accusing you of having written at least some of it in the past.

...because as I said I've read bits of it before. So if number 2 is true, then number 1 doesn't apply.

xtn

2006 McLareghini Bugatterrari, Storm Titanium... installed: air horn, Scroth 4-point ASM harnesses, Sector111 halon extinguisher and mounting bracket, Von Hep exhaust and rear panel delete, Pagid brake pads, red Volks CE28n wheels, Toyo RA-1 tires, Nitron SA coilovers, Sector111 (WorksBell) quick-disconnect steering wheel kit. awaiting installation: Scroth "pull-up" lap belts, Sector111 RTD Brace, Tony's heater bypass mod, and dropped steering rack mounting plates.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
glb

Quote:
I am EITHER:

1. accusing you of plagiarism, OR
2. accusing you of having written at least some of it in the past.

...because as I said I've read bits of it before. So if number 2 is true, then number 1 doesn't apply.

xtn
Then why the f*ck would you begin with "He didn't write it", if you don't know?

There are plenty of alternative openings that are less objectionable and inflammatory. You could have even asked me.

Rash and wrong are not good in combination. Makes one look a bit silly.

Also a bad combo when driving.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 05:45 AM
xtn

So sorry to have offended. Let me turn it around so it doesn't begin with "He didn't write it."

He did not write it recently. At least not all of it. Or he didn't write it.

Better? It's the same logical "this OR that" series of statements. It does not accuse you of plagiarism. Since I don't know, I made it a series of three possibilities. The order sequence of them is not important. Don't get your panties in a wad.

You're jumping on me harder, with the F word, AFTER I clarified, then you did before I clarified when you thought I was accusing you of plagiarism?

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-17-2007, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
glb

Quote:
So sorry to have offended. Let me turn it around so it doesn't begin with "He didn't write it."

He did not write it recently. At least not all of it. Or he didn't write it.

Better? It's the same logical "this OR that" series of statements. It does not accuse you of plagiarism. Since I don't know, I made it a series of three possibilities. The order sequence of them is not important. Don't get your panties in a wad.

You're jumping on me harder, with the F word, AFTER I clarified, then you did before I clarified when you thought I was accusing you of plagiarism?

Why would you be concerned with when I wrote it? My opening stated that I had written it for some friends' kids. Obviously, it was written in the past.

Moreover, I cannot understand why, simply because you might remember some passages, you would posit that I hadn't written it (when other explanations were much more likely).

Your fantasies aside, I don't wear panties.

Yes, I gave you a chance to apologize and explain yourself. Alll you did was restate your offensive remark in different terms.

So, yes: you pissed me off. Do you know many people who react kindly to being accused of cheating, stealing, etc?

Your "apology" is lame and indicative of your mean-spirited attitude. I wrote something to help people and apparently this somehow bothered you. Your motivation escapes me.

You owe me an actual apology.

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
glb

NYT - April 19, 2011, 7:06 pm
New Lessons to Pave a Road to Safety

By TARA PARKER-POPE

Teenagers are notoriously bad drivers, accounting for 10 times as many crashes as middle-aged ones. But short of keeping them off the road entirely, is there a way to make their driving safer — for them and for the rest of us?

New research suggests that there is. A nationally representative sample of more than 800 crashes involving teenage drivers shows that almost two-thirds were due not to reckless behavior like speeding or joyriding but to three novice driving mistakes: failing to scan the road, misjudging driving conditions and becoming distracted.

Focusing on these three common mistakes could go a long way in improving teenage driving and reducing fatalities, said an author of the report, Dr. Dennis Durbin, co-director of the Center for Injury Research and Prevention at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia. (The findings, from the children’s hospital and State Farm Insurance, were published in the journal Accident Analysis and Prevention.)

“The question is, What should we be doing with teens during that learning phase that can produce a better driver?” Dr. Durbin said in an interview. “We want to create programs that can help parents more intentionally teach these kinds of skills.”

Since the mid-1990s most states have adopted tougher teenage driving laws, with graduated permit programs that delay full licensing until new drivers are older and have more supervised experience. Studies of traffic fatalities and teenage driving accidents show that the most effective restrictions include delaying learning permits until age 16 and requiring at least six months of instruction before a driver’s test. (Many states still issue permits as young as 14 or 15.)

Other rules include requiring 40 to 50 hours of parent-supervised instruction before a license is given, and delaying full licensure until age 18, which means no driving after 10 p.m. and no teenage passengers. One state, New Jersey, requires novice drivers under 21 to display a new-driver decal until they obtain a full-privilege license.

Over all, the tougher laws are credited with a 30 percent drop in teenage highway fatalities. Even so, teenagers have the highest crash risk of any age group and account for four times as many traffic fatalities as adults. Dr. Durbin says it’s important to use the extended permitting period to help teenagers improve their driving skills.

Twenty-one percent of teenagers’ crashes, the new study shows, are due to scanning mistakes — failing to scan the road ahead and to check mirrors regularly to look for potential risks behind and to the sides. Other mistakes in this category include misjudging the speed of an oncoming car while making a left turn, and failing to anticipate that a parked truck can block the view of an intersection.

“Teenagers keep a tunnel vision right off the hood of the car,” Dr. Durbin said. “They think all they need to do is look straight ahead, but they don’t realize the need to be scanning back and forth so they always know where their car is in space.”

Most experienced drivers do this automatically, so as parents they may not focus on it when instructing their young drivers. To help build scanning skills and help learners expand their vision beyond the hood, Dr. Durbin suggests quizzing them about the surroundings. Ask questions like “What color is the car three cars ahead of you?” or “What color jacket is the person on the sidewalk wearing?”

Another 21 percent of the crashes arise from misjudging road conditions. The young driver may not be speeding, but fails to slow down at a curve or in slippery conditions.

The problem is that many parents don’t let teenagers drive when road conditions are poor. Instead, they should use poor weather as an opportunity to supervise, giving their new driver experience on wet or icy roads or during a nighttime rainstorm.

Another 20 percent of crashes are due to driver distraction — not necessarily from a cellphone, but usually from another passenger in the car.

One way to address all of these issues is “narrative driving,” in which the adult drives while giving a teenage passenger a play by play. Point out examples of unsafe driving, explain why you are changing lanes or slowing down, announce when you are checking the mirrors, and explain how you are reacting to information. Show the prospective driver how you deal with distractions like a disruptive child in the back seat without taking your eyes off the road.

“It’s helpful to talk out loud about what you’re seeing and doing,” Dr. Durbin said. “It sensitizes your teen to the fact that there is a lot more going on up here in the front seat than he thought there was.”

Other new research suggests that parents need to be aware whether their teenagers are getting enough sleep. Just last week, The Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine reported that those who started school earlier in the morning had higher crash rates.

The findings come from a comparison of crash data from Virginia Beach, where high school classes began around 7:20 a.m., and the neighboring town of Chesapeake, where they started around 8:30. The weekday crash rate for 16-to-18-year-olds was about 41 percent higher in Virginia Beach. Although more study is needed to explain the reasons for the difference, the data do suggest that sleep deficits may be playing a role.

“If a parent knows that a son or daughter has been up to 12:30 and has to be up at 6 in the morning, maybe that’s a morning that they don’t drive to school,” said the lead author, Dr. Robert D. Vorona, an associate professor of sleep medicine at Eastern Virginia Medical School. “Teens are not good drivers, and anything we can do to hopefully make things safer for them and for us is worthwhile. We’re all sharing the road with them.”

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 05:04 PM

Interesting article. I think one reason the staged certification is showing some result, besides simply providing more training, is that the very existence of the stages illustrates to students how serious an undertaking this is. Many of them will then pay more attention.

In theory, there is no difference between Theory and Practice. In practice, there is. - Y. Berra
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 09:16 PM

Good stuff

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

DIY 2007 Exige S K20A2 C38 Rotrex

Www.onetonracing.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Track and Technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in