How many people do track days with their Ad07's - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 03:47 PM
Long-term Lotus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefft
The 48's are much more predictable than 07, I think everyone would agree? Like I said, R compound is better in every way they just dont last for near as long.
I don't know about "more predictable"... I think the AD07s are pretty predictable -

After a bunch of track days in varying conditions I pretty much know what the AD07s are going to do when they're going to do it. I can tell when they're at their limit of adhesion - I can induce oversteer with a little lift - deal with understeer - no surprises. I guess I'm not sure what you're talking about.

On the other hand, playing the devil's advocate (edit - having driven the AO48s on track only once)... Is it true what I've heard (edit - and experienced) about the AO48s? Yes they do have a much higher level of grip. But when you finally exceed that point -do they let go with a vengeance?

Ok - probably not, again if you know what you're doing, and are used to the tires (edit - I wasn't), they probably let you know what's happening well before catastrophe strikes.

So predictable, in reality, comes with experience.

(Note - my edits - I forgot about the Elise Driving Experience I took in 2005, where I lost it in a big way by slightly lifting at the edge of adhesion in an Elise - not mine - with AO48s. Luckily no damage...)

Erv S. - 2005 Elise

LotusCorp - The Chicago Region's Lotus Club
Website - Facebook Page

Last edited by ervsch; 02-21-2007 at 04:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Long-term Lotus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgm100
Thanks for the info elise_storm. To this day, I've only seen 1 Elise w the Ad07's in the advanced run group, and I think the next event they upgraded.
FWIW - I'm running in the advanced group - usually instructing - with my AD07s.

Erv S. - 2005 Elise

Website - Facebook Page
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 04:19 PM

This is an interesting topic. I'm trying to find a daily driver tire. It looks like AD07's are a good choice. Anyone try the Khumo Ecsta MX?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ervsch
I don't know about "more predictable"... I think the AD07s are pretty predictable -

After a bunch of track days in varying conditions I pretty much know what the AD07s are going to do when they're going to do it. I can tell when they're at their limit of adhesion - I can induce understeer with a little lift - deal with oversteer - no surprises. I guess I'm not sure what you're talking about.
If you lift mid corner doesn't that usually induce over-steer? I would think that's the case, especially with mid-engine rear wheel drive cars.

2007 Chrome Orange Lotus Exige S | 2007 Birel M31 IAME Leopard 125cc TAG | 2006 CRG DarkRider Rotax DD2 | http://www.chicagoracers.com

Last edited by kartvader; 02-21-2007 at 04:25 PM.

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 04:24 PM
Long-term Lotus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartvader
This is an interesting topic. I'm trying to find a daily driver tire. It looks like AD07's are a good choice.

If you lift mid corner doesn't that usually induce over-steer? I would think that's the case, especially with mid-engine rear wheel drive cars.
Sorry - you're correct - I've got my overs and unders mis-placed. Fixed now.

Erv S. - 2005 Elise

Website - Facebook Page
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 04:37 PM

[QUOTE=JonOrangeElise]I'm still on AD07s... There's nothing wrong with street tires, save that they have a lower maximum grip level. But they last longer, and are typically more progressive in their breakaway, and telegraph that breakaway better (more squeal). QUOTE]

Well said. This is exactly why I still have the stock AD07 tires.

Dean
2006 Pontiac GTO
2006 Infiniti G35
2008 M-B C63 AMG
2002 Honda S2000
1997 BMW 318 iC
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
This is an interesting topic. I'm trying to find a daily driver tire. It looks like AD07's are a good choice. Anyone try the Khumo Ecsta MX?
The Ad07's are fine for street use; my Elise is a daily driver. They aren't cheap, so if you were going with a set of tires for the street, and another for the track, there might be better, and less expensive alternatives available for street use.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRoberts44
I have done two track days. I love the AD07s. Replaced the rears at 11,000 miles. Still plenty of tread on the fronts.
I'm amazed at the life some of you guys have got.

I replaced my first set at 5k miles, and the second and third at 4k each...

B Team Driver driver.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 05:10 PM

6000 miles, 4 track days, and 1 autocross and the rears were down to the wear bars. I have become comfortable with the 07s at the limit in an autocross setting, but I don't push them to their limits on the track. Not enough personal experience for that yet. I also think the softer stock spring rates that come on the cars with the 07s help in telegraphing the limit of adhesion in the 07s. There is a lot more body roll with the stock springs and I think that when cornering in a F/R balanced situation where you are close to the tire's adhesion limit, the car is easier to slide and catch with the 07s.

I will continue to learn how to drive this car with 07s. When I can consistantly and accurately predict when they will let go, I will change over to Ohlins and 48s and start the learning process all over again.

MS
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRoberts44
I have done two track days. I love the AD07s. Replaced the rears at 11,000 miles. Still plenty of tread on the fronts.

I'm amazed at the life some of you guys have got.

I replaced my first set at 5k miles, and the second and third at 4k each...
My experience echo's that of Mike....I had plenty of tread left after 11,000...then the Elise and myself discovered a thing called a track...after that 2 months and 2 events later my rears were shot
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 05:25 PM

Which track are you guys running with the 07s that you get so many miles out of them? My 07s were really out of shape after running at Willow Spring's big track. The higher speeds really worked the tires--by the end of the day, the tires were like goo, with big strips of melted rubber beads stuck on the edges.
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 05:43 PM

3 days Buttonwillow, 1 at Laguna Seca.
post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 06:24 PM

beads of goo?

I like the 07s. Changed the rears at 11,000 and ran the s#!+ out of the car at Sebring--no sticky goo. Well.... not on the tires, anyway .

-Michael
'05 Nightfall Blue
post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 06:56 PM
www.theapexinn.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgm100
The Ad07's are fine for street use; my Elise is a daily driver. They aren't cheap, so if you were going with a set of tires for the street, and another for the track, there might be better, and less expensive alternatives available for street use.
Tires and Brakes are like gas and oil..... just something else you're going to be replacing all the time.......it's a given..... a small price to pay for this much fun.

Elise #2292 (SOLD) / CO / Starshield / Nitron Sport SA / RTDbrace / Uprights machined / Down Low rails / DBA 4000 Wiper Slot Rotors/ V1 / SS lines w/Pagid Black / G-Pan / Odyssey PC680 with RLS Bracket / Difflow 5 Element diffuser / Stebel Nautilus horn
www.theapexinn.com
" I started flying when Sex was safe and Hang Gliding was dangerous "
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-21-2007, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Ya but he was looking for a daily driver tire for an Exige...S. If I was just going to drive the Elise on the street I might consider something other than the Ad07's
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 03-07-2007, 07:52 PM

AO48s in the dry
AD07s in the wet

Life, Liberty and the Happiness of Pursuit

I can help you move TO anywhere in the USA FROM anywhere in the USA - ask me how...
post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
I'm still a relative newbie to track days, running in one of novice,intermediate groups. I have the base suspension with the Ad07's. The event coordinators don't really want anyone to go out side of the OE setup until they get in the advanced run groups. So I was just curious how many here still do their track days on the Ad07's...Jeff.
Resurrecting a 10 year old thread. Same question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Track and Technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in