My NASA TT1 Build - Page 10 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowar View Post
Enjoying watching your build and getting ideas for my car, 2008 S240 which I run in TT3. Like you, I use AIM data which I like very much. My question is this: I added an oil pressure sensor using a T fitting with the stock oil pressure switch. MXL2 dash reads 0 engine off and 1-2 psi engine running. Sent the sensor and the dash back to Josh at AIM, both check out. Had my local AIM dealer check the install, we can't figure out why this won't work. Any ideas?
I suppose it's possible that you only have 1-2PSI oil pressure!

Are you finding that the pressure comes up with RPM?

Have you verified the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge?

Additionally, are you mounting the sensor right on the block or from a hose? The sensor should not be mounted right on the motor, but rather remote mounted on the firewall. The vibration from the motor can cause them to give odd readings and/or fail early....

Hope that helps,

Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 05:53 AM

No, pressure does not change with rpm. I mounted sensor on the head with the stock pressure switch. I'll try mounting on firewall. Thanks for your help.
John
post #183 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-22-2015, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Ah. Well, there's your problem. The sensor on the head is just a VVL verification sensor. It only receives pressure when the "big cam" is engaged. The proper location is just above the oil filter on the block. You'll find another pressure switch there. You can tee off it. The thread is 1/8 BSP taper.

-Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable

post #184 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 05:26 AM

Phil,
Thanks for putting me on the right track, got the oil pressure display working now. Next I want to install MAP sensor. Where should I tap into manifold pressure?
John
post #185 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 12:49 AM

BOE Oil Cooling - Tried and Tested Tricks?

Hi Phil - been loving following your build and driving.

You've inspired the next step in my build. You might see me next time I am in the USA.

Scratching my head how you are making rear oil cooler work with that kind of horsepower. I'm seeing 280+ oil temps after 2 laps on an NA 2ZZ!

Last edited by ExigeTT; 12-08-2015 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Moved to another thread to avoid HiJack of Phil's epic thread
post #186 of 188 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 11:27 AM

Garage
Sheesh, that widebody clam is slick...might have to add that to my BOE order....
post #187 of 188 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

So I sold my precious race car a couple weeks ago... Kids, family, etc, etc... Time for a change... and then there are the Evoras too!

The new owner posted up his comments after getting it to the track for the first time.... His most precise comment to describe my old car, "This car was insanely fast, requires 100% concentration and the harder your push the more it asks for."

...Going to miss that chapter!...

Buddy Boyter is with Phil
9 hrs
So as some of you may know, I have owned and raced my 2005 Lotus Elise since 2012 and just built it to competitive @ SSM level (FYI it is for sale if anyone is interested). While the engine was being built by Phil and team at BoE, Phil decided to sell his full race Elise and unbelievably I won the auction and picked it up Labor day weekend. Since then I have been working on selling mine and getting my tow rig repaired so Sunday was my first day actually starting it up and running it. Keep in mind this is Florida and it was 100 degrees outside and sunny so temps are hard to keep down so I only was getting 5 flying laps per session.

I went into this event with the mind set that this is a new car to me, double the HP from the old build of mine, mechanical brake bias system with no ABS, sequential transmission with no LSD and all kinds of aero, so my wish was just to drive 7/10th, learn the car, have fun, don't blow it up and don't wreck it. Phil has owned this car from new, built it from the ground up to be the beast it is today and it performed exactly as advertised. This car was insanely fast, requires 100% concentration and the harder your push the more it asks for.

I ran at The FIRM, which is semi local 1.6 mile road course, that in my old Lotus on the Rev400 setup, my personal best was 1:18.2. This is after hundreds of laps on this course and hundreds of hours in my car. Yesterday in the new to me Lotus from Phil, this car ran a 1:15.492 out of the gate (although apparently my video feed had issues the entire session). This was not only almost 3 second faster but I wasn't even touching the limits of what this car can do. I could easily see 1:13s in it on cooler days with more seat time. I was also informed later from the guys at the track this could be the fastest non open wheel lap set at this track.

Just wanted to share the experience that I had yesterday grinning from ear to ear, and also say what many of us know that there is no substitute for experience and dedication to a chassis like Phil and BoE have to get the most out of your car. This video is from my second fastest lap that the video recorded at 1:16.206. Enjoy the glorious sounds from this Lotus I now call "End Game".

Phil don't beat me up to much on driving this monster, I know I could be braking much later and using every inch of the track

post #188 of 188 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 04:26 AM

No video attached....?

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Track and Technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in