My NASA TT1 Build - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Other Stuff

Some things were carried over...

Shocks, springs, etc were all carried over from previous. Just Nitron "GT3s" with my own springs and valving. No idea where I'll end up with these. Suspension is always something I'm changing anyway, so there's not really a final resting spot in my future here...

Car sits pretty low. Need right at 17 feet of ramp to get on my low slung trailer.

The Diffuser is something we make and is carried over from the past several years. It's fully sealed off with no wheel openings. The fences extend in front of the rear wheels to help keep the high pressure out.

The aero package is not "done" by any means... I'll still do something with side sills and need to seal off the splitter, block off the oil cooler holes in the front clam, etc...

The top is very modified and cut up version of the Blackwatch Racing's carbon top. It's a wonderful part that every track rat with an elise should have.

Interestingly, PRIOR to corner balancing, I snapped this shot of the scales with no driver ballast. Obviously with me in the car, everything changes, I just thought it was interesting how balanced the chassis happened to turn out after moving so many heavy parts around the car. I was reasonably happy with ~1914lbs. I can still cut a little weight out of the car and be legal, but not much. Easiest place is the windscreen. Just so happens, I have a "plastic" Speed Glass screen from Percy awaiting installation Not a lot of easy places to find substantial weight savings beyond that--- not that I can afford to shave much more off and stay legal anyway...

The trailer is from Montrose. The box is 20 feet and the whole thing weighs 2,200lbs. The front "clams" open for super easy access to front attachment points.
Attached Images

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

At the track...

I used the last NASA race (regional run-offs) of the season to shake the car down. I have not been on the race track since October of 12. I was rusty. Real rusty.

Had some wonderfully quick cars there including the ST2 national champion who happens to have a V6 powered Exige Cup car (V6 conversion). He's obviously very fast. Also present was the TT3 National Champion. Fair to assume that my car is classed higher than these guys and it should be faster, but we all know a driver makes up for car deficiencies!

Typically, at the national level, you'll see 1-2 seconds separating class 1, from 2, from 3. I have no illusions to the reality that my driving is no where near to the level that these two champion drivers are. Those two are pro-level drivers with various championships under their belts in both SCCA and NASA. They obviously beat plenty of cars in faster classes on a regular basis, set track records, etc... They're also super helpful and nice guys in case you ever run into them

My Mad Max car made me look smart despite my all thumbs driving. It also performed without incident, so I couldn't have been happier with that! It was so fast and balanced that I managed to set fast lap of the weekend among all classes and set new track records. Was about a second faster than the ST2 champion and 2.5 seconds faster than the TT3 champion... I'm really looking forward to rediscovering my driving skills and improving upon them to see just how far I can take the little lotus in 2014.

Some pics...
Attached Images

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #23 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 02:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
Interestingly, PRIOR to corner balancing, I snapped this shot of the scales with no driver ballast. Obviously with me in the car, everything changes, I just thought it was interesting how balanced the chassis happened to turn out after moving so many heavy parts around the car. I was reasonably happy with ~1914lbs. I can still cut a little weight out of the car and be legal, but not much. Easiest place is the windscreen. Just so happens, I have a "plastic" Speed Glass screen from Percy awaiting installation Not a lot of easy places to find substantial weight savings beyond that--- not that I can afford to shave much more off and stay legal anyway...
The 1914 is without the wheels...right?

post #24 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by <@@> View Post
The 1914 is without the wheels...right?
Ha. Ya pretty sure the wheels were on
post #25 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 07:18 AM
BANNED

The reason I ask, it looks like you are using setup wheels (stands) as in your first photo of post 21...
post #26 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
The reason I ask, it looks like you are using setup wheels (stands) as in your first photo of post 21...
Ya, that weight was just so I had a number to fill out my classing sheet. Following that, the car was lifted, wheels replaced with stands, lowered, and setup began... If I could drive with stands instead of wheels, the car would be many pounds lighter though
post #27 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 09:15 AM

Pls give us more awesome eye candy!!! Also a great promotion as to why your BOE parts work so well.

2007 Exige-All Black and Mean, Factory TouringPak/TrackPak/StarShield/LSD/TractionControl/iPodDock. All stock but not for long.
v = square root ((2 * e) / m)
2008 BMW 335i White/Beige-Awesome power
2006 Mitsubishi EVO IX MR-Only all-stock one left in the country!!
2010 BMW K1300S-Faster than a Hayabusa!
post #28 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JungleJim View Post
Pls give us more awesome eye candy!!! Also a great promotion as to why your BOE parts work so well.
THANKS!

Working on a vid. Will try to have it up here tonight or tomorrow

All these track cars are a work in progress and are never "done". I still have a list of things to complete over the winter and there will be a new list next winter, I'm sure.

Hopefully we can get more cars out on the track competing and maybe some of these pics will get some wheels spinning.

"It's OK to cut"

post #29 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-18-2013, 06:32 PM

phil that's looking pretty mean! I can only imagine what a ride in it is like

2016 AMG GT-S
2012 Caterham R400 (sold)
2010 Chrome Orange Evora (Sold )
2005 ST Elise (sold)
2002 MB G500 lifted etc.
2003 Cooper S (track)
we'll see what Lotus comes up with next...
post #30 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by invictusmaneo View Post
phil that's looking pretty mean! I can only imagine what a ride in it is like
Thanks. It's a fun one!

Here's a video from the other day. I was darn rusty not having been on the track in a year, but the car did great!

post #31 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 03:48 PM

Listen to that music. Nicely done.
post #32 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

In other news, I switched my TT car back to the stock ECU this weekend (2005 T4). It was running an EFI plug 'n play standalone. That is one of the more modified cars that I've done on the T4 (2005 ECU, specifically). Really came together quite easily since I've done similar builds on the t4e and the two ECUs work quite similar from a tuning standpoint. With stage 3 cams, compression, porting, boost, fuel, sequential, and etc there were plenty of things that could make tuning interesting. I took her up to 392whp at 8200rpm and called it more than enough, as I now need to back it back down to 350 or so to be class legal. Few ways to do this. Less RPM, less boost, or less timing...

Also revising the diffuser, wing mounts, and going to town cutting the rear clam. In my shakedown run in October, I found that I stretched my wing mounts which I tested with nearly 500lbs of static mass prior to the shakedown. Hard telling how much DF the wings makes at 140mph (my terminal speed during the shakedown at HPT in October with a relatively moderate straight), but I'd venture to say it's easily 500+lbs.... We'll be at tracks with much longer straights and 155+mph terminal speeds (actual GPS speed), so will be making significant improvements there....

Need to get some more DF up front. Looking to lower the front another inch and block the unused oil-cooler openings to help energize the splitter better.

Now that the stock ECU is driving the motor, working on making the ECU friendly with "flat shifting" the sequential. Have the parts, now just need to get some free time to sort it out...

-Phil

post #33 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-15-2013, 10:44 PM

Phil,

Do you have any more detailed pics of where your front splitter is mounted to? And how is your rear wing mounted, does it go straight to the rear subframe? I'm looking to mount mine in a similar way and wanted to see where exactly you mounted yours to give it such strength.
post #34 of 188 (permalink) Old 12-16-2013, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstryker View Post
Phil,

Do you have any more detailed pics of where your front splitter is mounted to? And how is your rear wing mounted, does it go straight to the rear subframe? I'm looking to mount mine in a similar way and wanted to see where exactly you mounted yours to give it such strength.
Sure. I'm redoing all this at the moment but can describe what I had that was decent but not decent enough

I added 1/4" 2x2 angle to the top of sub frame. Slotted the boot so that the angle could protrude through the boot floor. There were two holes in each angle's vertical leg. The wing mount went thought the clam where there was a 5" wide by 3/16" thick "drop plates" with nutcerts at spacing that corresponded with the 2 holes in the angle on the frame. This way I could retain the clamhinge operation after simply removing 4 bolts that attached the drop plates to the angle. This wasn't the prettiest, but it was effective at holding vertical load well. It wasn't as strong as needed to be with lateral load in combination with vertical load, however... I felt that it was worth a try to retain the ease of service in retaining the clamhinge with this strategy. Fail. lol

I'll end up having a more substantial structure back there for the real season that won't bend, but it will be at the expense of losing my clamhinge on this car But that's the point of a shakedown run Will miss my clamgine though...

-Phil

post #35 of 188 (permalink) Old 01-02-2014, 11:28 AM

Nice Buildup. Nice trailer too. Are you considering a rear diffuser for that trailer?
post #36 of 188 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Finally found some time to dial her in reasonably well and on the stock 2005 T4 ECU... Nice cool run here... Once I account for 190-110F ambients and roasting on the track for several laps, she'll be legal again in the power department...

I'll still need to bake her on the dyno while holding load to get things ultra toasty so I can dial in my temp compensations for engine safety and then it's on to sorting our the flat shift for the stock ECU

Fun fun!

-Phil
Attached Images

post #37 of 188 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 01:50 PM
BANNED

My dyno run will look that good too...right? After you get done with it... BTW, what date can we pencil in to bring it over to you?
post #38 of 188 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
My dyno run will look that good too...right? After you get done with it... BTW, what date can we pencil in to bring it over to you?
Sure--- for your car, just change the left and right scales down by a factor of 100 or so

Can't commit to a timeline for you right now. Shop is jamming at the moment and not tuning black dash cars at the moment either... want to switch over to an AIM dash? If so, can get you booked for late Feb tuning (next opening)...

-Phil

post #39 of 188 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 02:44 PM
BANNED

I was actually looking good and hard at the AiM GT 320 wheel
AiM GT Steering Wheel
But I don't have a sequential box yet and don't have enough quarters in the piggybank go pick one up yet...
post #40 of 188 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

certainly don't need a sequential to run that wheel...... the paddles are an option, FWIW.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Track and Technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in