My NASA TT1 Build - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Update...

Still fine tuning suspension, but can't really complain since we're winning and setting records

Expecting to get beat up pretty bad this weekend at Hallatt though. I'm still a greenhorn at this track and it has a blind corner that baffled me two years ago when I was there last, which left me "parked" waiting for the apex to show itself. Argh. 150 cars entered... hope it's not too embarrassing!

Figured it's better to look pretty if you're not going to win than not, so tidied up the exterior

-Phil
Attached Images

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 09:02 PM
...call me a space cowboy

Diggin the new paint scheme Phil!

Liking the nightfall blue in the background too

2005 Elise (Build #65) - Nightfall Blue| BOE QS!!| BOE Clamhinge| REV400TVS | JCR Race Prepped Cylinder Head | ACT HDSS | BOE Wet Sump v1.1 | Oil Pump Gear | BOE Surge Tank | BOE Catch Can | RLS Wide Scoops w/NCI-BOE Conversion Kit | MP Custom Carpet Kit
2002 Dodge Dak 4x4
1992 HD Fxstc
1967 Sunbeam Alpine or Triumph Tr4 (Future purchase)
post #63 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-18-2014, 09:15 PM

Looks good Phil. I like that Difflow diffuser in the background.

post #64 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Ha, good eye there guys.

Glenn never misses his diffusers

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #65 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 08:36 AM
Tire abuser

Garage
Love the new graphics!

10 cars signed up for TT1.... wow!
7 = Corvette
1 = Viper
1 = GTR
1 = Very cool Lotus

Looks like all the "Goliath" cars have something to worry about. I had planned on being there in TT3 but have been too lazy to buy a trailer and get my act together. Good Luck Phil !!!

'06 Arctic Silver Elise | Touring |Traction Control |Supercharged | ST exhaust | Nitron singles | BWR anti-sway bar | RTD brace | V2 Arms | SS brake lines | Harness bar and Schroth harnesses | sys.6.pack |shifter reinforced | Ultralite lines | cup air box | Sport inserts | DBW Pedals | TALLrails | Team Dynamics 1.2's | TOC Oil Pan | ProRad | FW Torque tune | BOE surge tank and catch can | Radium Clam Kit
post #66 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Thanks!

Ya, it's nuts!

I was there two years ago last and it was a big dual region event then too. Track record was set by an unrestricted C6R with a 1:18.9 as I recall (you TX boys and all your oil money showing up to am racing with a C6R. What's up with that! ))... I just never figured out the blind right/left combo at the top of the hill which cost me a lot of time so best I managed was a 1:21.0. The car is faster now and hopefully I can get enough seat time in to sort that hill out to find the needed 2+ seconds...

I'll let ya know

-Phil

post #67 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

June 22 Update- Hallett Track Record

Just back from a two day race at Hallett.

Huge dual region turnout with over 150 cars on the race grid!

This was Texas and Central Region combined. The texas guys are brutally fast and come in vast numbers. My hat is off to Texas region for not only knowing how to run a well organized event with 150+ but also for some brutal quick cars

For those that don't know, Hallett is a memory track and one that takes PRACTICE. Unlike the other tracks in our region where looking ahead is all you need to do, Hallett is rough, full of blind corners, off camber, and LAAAAAAATE apexes. Looking ahead means nothing here. You just have to memorize exactly how to execute every turn, where the visual markers are, etc... Suffice to say, I had low expectations for myself going into this event. The track record was 2 years old and set in a C6R (yes, a factory C6R minus the restrictors) by a driver much more familiar than me with this blind cornered beast!

I qualified for p1 Saturday morning with a 1:22, but mainly because I lucked into a clean lap. Everyone else got jammed into traffic. I knew this time wasn't anywhere close to pace, as the record was 1:18.7. By the end of Saturday, I was in 4th place in my class and 5th or 6th fastest car of the entire event. The cool thing is that all 4 of us were in the 1:19s---- granted I was at 1:19.8, but still 1:19! So things were close but still more than a second off the record...

Saturday night was margaritas and time to reflect. Sunday morning was going to be the time to win this deal, set a record if possible, and get my free set of hoosiers

Sunday morning, I slapped on some A6 stickers and went after it from P4.

I left a massive gap before the green flag dropped and hit it--- still never using the same line twice and feeling like I was all thumbs with this complicated track. Somehow or another if I was able to string 10 corners together with enough ham-fisted brute force that I saw a 1:18.6 show up on my dash. At the conclusion of my session, I was forced directly to impound for scrutineering. Our regional director came over and went through the times while I waited..... Bam! We did it. New track record and fastest lap of the 150 car weekend. I was stoked.

Short of running over an original front fender liner from when I purchased my car new in 2005, the car never missed a beat.

That's my little weekend story.

-Phil

PS- A couple pics from the event...
Attached Images

post #68 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 11:49 PM
cph

Garage
Great result Phil .. I think you might be selling your driving skills and the car a bit short !!
I bet there were a few surprised locals when the little Elise clocked up that time ...
Congrats
post #69 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 03:32 AM

A big round of applause for you By the way, your car looks like it was summoned straight from hell. Just plain sick Phil.
post #70 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 03:49 AM
Tire abuser

Garage
Congrats Phil !!! Awesome results and great story. I monitored the times Sat. and was a little worried about you.... but wow! That is crazy fast.

'06 Arctic Silver Elise | Touring |Traction Control |Supercharged | ST exhaust | Nitron singles | BWR anti-sway bar | RTD brace | V2 Arms | SS brake lines | Harness bar and Schroth harnesses | sys.6.pack |shifter reinforced | Ultralite lines | cup air box | Sport inserts | DBW Pedals | TALLrails | Team Dynamics 1.2's | TOC Oil Pan | ProRad | FW Torque tune | BOE surge tank and catch can | Radium Clam Kit
post #71 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Thanks guys! This was a tough fight for sure.

I forgot to mention that Greg Vannucci rocked TT2 and ST1 in his Lotus Exige as well. It wasn't quite the Lotus Sweep of the last race, but not far off

Better yet, at the Saturday morning driver's meeting, there was a lot of talk about "the lotuses from Central Region may be a problem"

Greg was hitting it hard right out the gates, but I was a late bloomer for sure.

Jeff- Awesome that you were following along online Glad I redeemed myself before the weekend was over

Cheers,

Phil

post #72 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 09:36 AM
Tire abuser

Garage
It would be cool to get a competitive Lotus in TT3....but then we do have Terry Fair in the Vorshlag Mustang. I saw he put down a 1:21:75! I mean, c'mon, it's a Mustang That car is set up very well and he can really drive it.

post #73 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-23-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Jim just needed more time to learn Hallett, but still a good bit of Lotus where they should be
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Sunday TT Merge.pdf (230.5 KB, 242 views)

post #74 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 06:35 PM

Congrats on everything Phil. It was nice to meet you @ Hallett. Sorry I couldn't spent more time chatting - I had lots of questions for you

As for the track - it's a hell of a lot of fun (and rewarding when done right) knowing that you can't just cheat your way around. Love Hallett.
post #75 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

likewise, Plack. I was busy as a bee. I did do a check out ride for Matt, so he'll be able to compete in TT going forward. That guy can wheel a car around those esses like a pro! With hoo-hoos in TTC, he will be a real contender!

You guys need to make it up to HPT in October for the last race of the year. Broaden your horizons!

Take care,

Phil

post #76 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-25-2014, 07:32 PM

I am expanding my track's as fast as I can lol.

Lets talk 2gr-fe some time...
post #77 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-26-2014, 07:30 PM

This car is absolutely incredible! Attention to detail is great, just everything about it is amazing! Has the results to prove it too! I love seeing a quality build. Gonna be watching this thread!
post #78 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 01:33 AM

Fantastic results Phil. Great to see your Lotus give the big block guys a run for their money. Excellent driving, even if you were hanging on for dear life ;-)

65 Elan S2 - Restored & For Sale
72 Europa- Restoration under way
69 Elan S4 - Restored & Sold
64 Elan S1 - Restored & Not for sale
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart - Sold
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car - Sold
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car - Wrecked at track
06 Elise - Track pack - Sold
post #79 of 188 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Thanks!!!

post #80 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-01-2014, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

A few more pics for fun....
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Track and Technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in