My NASA TT1 Build - Page 7 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 188 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyshane View Post
What exactly is your "new" setup?
Building the prototype motors for testing over the course of this month. Hope to have them on the dyno and etc in February. Will have one in a "beefed up stock trannied" race car and the other in my sequential trans race car and both running race prepped REV400 kits for induction. Good or bad, will post the details with the results. Will either be a colossal waste of time and money or a home run---either way, educational

-Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 188 (permalink) Old 01-10-2015, 08:33 PM

If you do tuning deal. I will sign up. I have 2x efi setup. I know dyno that rents time.
Track day is going to be at PPIR
post #123 of 188 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

2015 TT1 Build Coming Together

Few updates...
  • Prototype motor is officially together and on the rollers. From the initial run-in pulls (no recording of power or tuning yet), I can tell she's breathing very well. Could be interesting!
  • Replumbed the Dry Sump and Fuel system. Used Hard SS line where ever it made sense and BMRS SS line everywhere else. All unions are crimped, welded, or compression. Gone are those [email protected] socketed (DIY AN stuff) fittings and braided rubber hose!
  • Twisted the Quaife input shaft in twain on the final race last season. Still won the champ-een-ship on points. This year she's back together with a sturdier part-- or it's supposed to be. Will see if we can break it!

Currently having a complete wide body rear "exige" clam being laid up. She's got a OE look to the widening and it's 3" wider per side. Assuming that project comes to fruition, the "DTM" look on the rear will be departing... If the quality and delivery comes through, I'll see if I can work out some copies to be made if interested. (No need to hassle me about it yet though! I've seen pics. Looks good, but I have no parts in hand. I'll post elsewhere as things progress!)

Some pics of the plumbing and dyno prep...

Cheers,

Phil
Attached Images

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable

post #124 of 188 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 10:43 PM
The Enforcer

Sexy Beootch.

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #125 of 188 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 11:30 AM
Me!
6.94915254 lbs/hp

Looks good! Can't wait to see more!

2007 Storm Titanium Exige S w/ sunvisor delete
post #126 of 188 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

OK- Here's more

So here's the new motor in action... I'll post about it on another thread...

In short, we set out to redesign the combustion event for a forced inducted 2ZZ-GE. We increased rod ratio and were able to significantly increase power across the band while running less ignition advance and few detonation events.

Note: This is not a "stroker motor". The displacement and stroke of the motor are stock.

Dyno plot at the end of the vid is before and after... this is the "low boost" pulley....

post #127 of 188 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 06:58 PM
Tire abuser

Garage
Was hoping to see this beast at the Lotus Cup event at COTA today, handing out the smack down. It would have given the Evora GT4's something to chase

'06 Arctic Silver Elise | Touring |Traction Control |Supercharged | ST exhaust | Nitron singles | BWR anti-sway bar | RTD brace | V2 Arms | SS brake lines | Harness bar and Schroth harnesses | sys.6.pack |shifter reinforced | Ultralite lines | cup air box | Sport inserts | DBW Pedals | TALLrails | Team Dynamics 1.2's | TOC Oil Pan | ProRad | FW Torque tune | BOE surge tank and catch can | Radium Clam Kit
post #128 of 188 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefrac View Post
Was hoping to see this beast at the Lotus Cup event at COTA today, handing out the smack down. It would have given the Evora GT4's something to chase
Wish I could have, man!

That said, the "fast" cars would have to be running to compete for me to lay that smack down on I hear they're all broken....

I was looking at some times the other day. The car 2 classes below me was a good 2 seconds faster than the fastest Lotus cup car ever at infinion last year (Time set at NASA Nationals). I'm typically 2-5 seconds faster (depending on the track) than that exact car and driver... I mean... just say'n...

-Phil

post #129 of 188 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Had a great weekend at the races; won a few Hoosiers, and put a hurt'n on a factory Comp Coupe Viper, and enjoy some margaritas

Here's a little vid from the cabin of a single lap and a shot of that BA Viper:

-Phil

post #130 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Just a quick update.

We've been working hard to get a new project off the ground...

Fitting the car with new carbon clams and sills. The rear is widebody by almost 6 inches...

Gone are the reverie flares.

The rear is also exige style rather than elise. It weighs 14lbs.

The front is 2010 exige with carbon infills for the oil cooler holes since we don't use those. It also has 05/06 headlight buckets so that we could carry over the 05 lgihts from original...The front clam weighs 11lbs.

Parts are off at paint this week. Couple pics...
Attached Images

post #131 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 07:54 AM

Are you planning on also making body access panels for the new front clam? What about the door sill covers that are also unique for the Exige?

I'm getting ahead of myself, but am just exited to see a U.S. venture dedicated to making performance oriented clams.
post #132 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Sure...

To be complete:

Also made front access panels and hinge covers/filler panels (the bit between the rockers and front clam)... The OE filler panels weigh like 3.Xlbs, ours weigh 1lb

Rockers are different because of the wide body in my case...

Everything made right here in US of A...

Doing the mold for an Elise front and rear next due to @darkSol 's badgering

You can literally lift either clam with a single finger and your arm extended full.

The clams are made with carbon and honeycomb to add loads of rigidity and be lightweight at the same time.

I'll have the race car at LOG with the new clams on it, etc...

-Phil

post #133 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 08:32 AM
Vroom vroom

Jeez, making your own clams? You're a beast!

What's with the giant rim all around the rear clam? does that get cut off?

Are you getting rid of the hatch? Brilliant idea if you're only going to use the clam hinge

2005 CO Elise: stage II CLF exhaust, B&M shifter, 5.25"/6.5" speakers, footwell lighting, RLS side mirrors, and 2 Dartholders (caffeine injection improves performance)
Uncage your garage queen and quit being a pansy. Daily drive it!
post #134 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-22-2015, 08:43 AM
purveyor of lightness

Garage
Ok I have to admit I was skeptical (because Phil has been known to pull my chain before for $hits and grins) but OMFG these things are LIGHT!

You CAN literally pick them up with one hand and they are RIGID as hell. Small animals better look out because they are going to bounce up in the air when hit at speed with the front clam. Seriously strong.

Considering that the (Elise) front clam is 33 lbs. and the rear is around 54 lbs. the savings will be enormous.

11 lbs. for front + 2 lbs. for paint = 13 lbs. = 20 lbs savings

14 lbs + 7 lbs for trunk = 21 lbs. + 3 lbs. for paint = 24 lbs. = 30 lbs. savings.

Let's lose 50 lbs. weight off the top of the car!

AMAZING!!

Wait... Badgering?
Attached Images

d.a..v...i....d

David Thomas Stewart - [email protected]
2005 Midnight Silver Lotus Elise (www.darksol.com)
388hp (342whp) BOE RevX 1736lbs.

Last edited by darkSol; 07-22-2015 at 08:51 AM.
post #135 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 08:45 AM

I've lurked here off and on for a long time. I track BMW's, but I love the way these cars look in track clothing. Your thread was a great read, thanks for sharing.

I found a PDF that perhaps you've read, but might be interesting to you related to low speed aerodynamics. They did a fair bit of data gathering on the S1223 airfoil you are using.

http://m-selig.ae.illinois.edu/uiuc_...il-Data-V5.pdf

Just a little light reading.
post #136 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Thanks! Yes, I used that same paper as part of the profile selection process...

There's a lot on the car I haven't had time to document fully. The fun stuff lately is all the carbon bodywork

Hopefully will find some time to do so soon.

Cheers,

Phil

post #137 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swic View Post
Jeez, making your own clams? You're a beast!

What's with the giant rim all around the rear clam? does that get cut off?

Are you getting rid of the hatch? Brilliant idea if you're only going to use the clam hinge
Those are the outside of the molds. So the bodywork is made inside of those...

-Phil

Last edited by turbophil; 07-23-2015 at 03:42 PM.
post #138 of 188 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 03:38 PM

Impressive Phil!

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #139 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Getting closer...

Carbon widebody clams back from paint. Rockers, front and rear clam, side filler/hinge covers, rear hatch (notice no holes for better areo), and hardtop are all carbon..... Needless to say, they don't weigh much!

Little bit of fitment work due to many custom features of this particular car

-Phil
Attached Images

post #140 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Wing is of course dry carbon as are the wing uprights. The whole wing and uprights weighs 10lbs... not bad considering how big and strong the wing is on my car... Those are carried over from before...

Front splitter is carbon too and is full length...

...Rear clam is almost 6" wider than stock....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Track and Technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in