My NASA TT1 Build - Page 8 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 08:30 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

PS- Doors are OE.. not doing those anytime soon! lol

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
Getting closer...

Carbon widebody clams back from paint. Rockers, front and rear clam, side filler/hinge covers, rear hatch (notice no holes for better areo), and hardtop are all carbon..... Needless to say, they don't weigh much!

Little bit of fitment work due to many custom features of this particular car

-Phil
I've been wanting to tie some strings to a friend's Exige to see what kind of airflow that mesh allows for. I have a feeling that the standard Exige is much less "fastback" than we'd think, so it is cool to see a real fastback design!

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #143 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
I've been wanting to tie some strings to a friend's Exige to see what kind of airflow that mesh allows for. I have a feeling that the standard Exige is much less "fastback" than we'd think, so it is cool to see a real fastback design!
I'm quite certain that it is near impossible to keep air attached very well to the mesh on the hatch... So I would agree with you! Turbulance City.

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable

post #144 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 08:36 AM

My NASA TT1 Build

Crazy aerodynamics. Car has enough Down force to sit upside down.

That's impressive phil.

Or my smartphone isn't so smart.
post #145 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 08:52 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
As a past life in Hydro/aerodynamics the mesh hatch would have no flow attachment. If flow happened to follow that profile it would have been from sugnificant flow modeling by lotus placing the mesh at the point of natural vortex turbulence line as if the hatch wasn't even there. The mesh along with flow bleed out the bottom is equal to just truncating the car as flow pressure differentials common between upper and lower surfaces have been cut off with bleed through connector. Now some trick aero could be done to create a suction down on the grill by energizing suction out bottom vents and the diffuser, this would bend the top surface air down better to flow into the air dam but as designed the grill is much to large to gain this flow messaging benefit. Phil did right to fair the rear hatch in.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #146 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian73 View Post
As a past life in Hydro/aerodynamics the mesh hatch would have no flow attachment. If flow happened to follow that profile it would have been from sugnificant flow modeling by lotus placing the mesh at the point of natural vortex turbulence line as if the hatch wasn't even there. The mesh along with flow bleed out the bottom is equal to just truncating the car as flow pressure differentials common between upper and lower surfaces have been cut off with bleed through connector. Now some trick aero could be done to create a suction down on the grill by energizing suction out bottom vents and the diffuser, this would bend the top surface air down better to flow into the air dam but as designed the grill is much to large to gain this flow messaging benefit. Phil did right to fair the rear hatch in.
This is exactly why I'd want the string test: see if the airflow follows parallel or normal to the mesh. And, if normal, in or out. Given the pressure gradients you mentioned, I'd bet the airflow follows a very similar pattern as the Elise, yet people mount the wings in entirely different places. I doubt Lotus' modelling would be accurate enough anyways for the mesh to happily coincide with the airflow. but enough conjecture, I'd say Phil's design does what Lotus alluded to but did not achieve.

post #147 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 09:08 AM
Illegal Alien

Garage
String test is the most practical test method. I would suspect flow is not singularly tangential or perpendicular, but rather a vortex eddy shedding showing flow moving both in and out as it rolls to the back.

'17 Evora Sport 410 GP (No. 1 of 9) LMS alloy pan, BOE headers, SSC harness bar
'12 Evora S GP (No. 1 of 14) BOE Prototype Stage 2 - 420+bHp **SOLD**
post #148 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 09:14 AM

Great work Phil
post #149 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
String test is the most practical test method. I would suspect flow is not singularly tangential or perpendicular, but rather a vortex eddy shedding showing flow moving both in and out as it rolls to the back.
The mass of the string serves to dampen out some of that, so it can give you a picture of the time-average flow in the case of vortex shedding. Also, if it is really dancing, then it may tell you nothing about the airflow except not to place a wing anywhere near it, haha

post #150 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 09:22 AM
because racecar

Maybe I missed it but how much downforce does that wing actually make, or is anticipated to make? For 12k$ yowza.

I am within a week or so on completion on a dual element swan neck wing that is coming out to much less than that and I can't imagine it making less downforce

2005 Lotus Elise turbo k20a2 757whp 536wtq 31psi [email protected]
2005 Lotus Elise 2zz supercharged 'streetable' race car
2007 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder
2010 Ford F350
2004 Mazda RX8
2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I passed my license test in a 3cyl 70hp Geo Metro
I learned to drive a manual on a Lotus Elise
post #151 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasreed View Post
Maybe I missed it but how much downforce does that wing actually make, or is anticipated to make? For 12k$ yowza.

I am within a week or so on completion on a dual element swan neck wing that is coming out to much less than that and I can't imagine it making less downforce
lol. $12K, if/when I said that, was a joking. My wing is realistically about a 3500-4,000 setup all in.... hard to say exactly with mounting, etc...

As for downforce, I bent the frame with it... Straightened and fish plated to prevent in future. Prior to that I bent the aluminum uprights I made for it... Switched to 14 ply CF with 1/2" honeycomb core and no problems with those after a couple seasons... weigh like nothing too I've had 3 guys standing on the wing to "stress test" the mounting setup and lateral stength... It's a HUGE wing, but very efficient... Had to switch to 1100lb rear springs to keep the rear end from squatting too much at "speed".... The car regularly sees 140-150mph (actual not indicated) on the straights...

-Phil

post #152 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 09:59 AM

Is the car going to be running the LOG track day? It would be nice to see it running on the track
post #153 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus90 View Post
Is the car going to be running the track day? It would be nice to see it running on the track
Maybe! I'll have to see how the schedule pans out, energy, etc. Will bring it up there (for LOG)... If I can swing the time and etc, It would be fun... An exibition run on a speedway roval at a club event like that is kind of a tricky thing to do for both me and that car...

post #154 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 10:13 AM
because racecar

Quote:
realistically about a 3500-4,000 setup all in....
Sounds about right
I am in the same ball park.

2005 Lotus Elise turbo k20a2 757whp 536wtq 31psi [email protected]
2005 Lotus Elise 2zz supercharged 'streetable' race car
2007 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder
2010 Ford F350
2004 Mazda RX8
2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I passed my license test in a 3cyl 70hp Geo Metro
I learned to drive a manual on a Lotus Elise
post #155 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Thanks, Julian. I don't have the past life, but from what I've seen, the air back there is a wreck.

Would be nice if I will be able to run less wing angle and achieve similar DF with cleaner air over the whole foil now that I have a cleaner body line... My car makes copious amounts of DF, but now it's time to reduce the drag... A bit less drag and I'll have more flexibility to change classes by changing the tune on the car and still have something that can be pushed through the air. The goal is to be able to class down or up depending on the entry list (more cars pay more tires for the W). To class down, the car has to be slippery due to loss of power...

-Phil

post #156 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Race this weekend...

... making progress with many, many, many 18 hour days...

Someone mentioned pulling out all the stops. I believe we can check that box...

Our widebody carbon clams are fitting well. New splitter is "hella durable".

Gone is the red. I knew red was temporary since it really has nothing to do with BOE livery. THe blue was a big gamble, as I got like no support from... well, anyone... I think it turned out OK! Matches the cage well and really has some pop...
Attached Images

post #157 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 08:28 PM

Looks great. Nice job.

05 Arctic Silver UK:
12 Wrangler JKU
post #158 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 01:52 AM
cph

Garage
Great work ... And the colour looks great , can't believe you didn't get any support !!
Look forward to hearing how it goes ...

2-11 : BOE Built Engine / Rev 400 SC / Quaife Sequential / Dry Sump / Fastworks Tune SOLD
https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...roject-339234/

ELISE : K20 / TVS 1320 / EP sequential / Dry Sumped / Motec M1

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f16...ealand-439105/

JUNO SSE K20 NA
post #159 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 02:46 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Straightened and fish plated to prevent in future.
If I were a "fish plate", what would I be?
post #160 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 04:28 AM
...call me a space cowboy

Quote:
Gone is the red. I knew red was temporary since it really has nothing to do with BOE livery. THe blue was a big gamble, as I got like no support from... well, anyone... I think it turned out OK! Matches the cage well and really has some pop...
Blue looks good! Of course I'm slightly biased

Can't wait to see it and HEAR it!!

2005 Elise (Build #65) - Nightfall Blue| BOE QS!!| BOE Clamhinge| REV400TVS | JCR Race Prepped Cylinder Head | ACT HDSS | BOE Wet Sump v1.1 | Oil Pump Gear | BOE Surge Tank | BOE Catch Can | RLS Wide Scoops w/NCI-BOE Conversion Kit | MP Custom Carpet Kit
2002 Dodge Dak 4x4
1992 HD Fxstc
1967 Sunbeam Alpine or Triumph Tr4 (Future purchase)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Track and Technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in