My NASA TT1 Build - Page 9 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
I've been wanting to tie some strings to a friend's Exige to see what kind of airflow that mesh allows for. I have a feeling that the standard Exige is much less "fastback" than we'd think, so it is cool to see a real fastback design!

I did a string test on the hatch last year. There is a significant amount of air going INTO the engine bay through all of the screens at speed. I also put strings on the plastic scoops which are under the 2 bottom meshes closest to the wing, and that air was moving into and toward the front of the car!

A fastback design as @turbophil fabricated should prove to make a nice increase in volume over the wing...

Looks awesome Phil!

@turbophil what has the fastback done to your temps? That was the only issue I was concerned with when looking at covering the meshes on mine.....

Last edited by da40flyer; 08-11-2015 at 04:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-11-2015, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by da40flyer View Post
I did a string test on the hatch last year. There is a significant amount of air going INTO the engine bay through all of the screens at speed. I also put strings on the plastic scoops which are under the 2 bottom meshes closest to the wing, and that air was moving into and toward the front of the car!

A fastback design as @turbophil fabricated should prove to make a nice increase in volume over the wing...

Looks awesome Phil!

@turbophil what has the fastback done to your temps? That was the only issue I was concerned with when looking at covering the meshes on mine.....

Good info, David! I had seen and suspected similar on the airflow. Good to see that various other Exige configurations are seeing similar...

Not only more DF, but also looking for a more slippery body as well

Regarding heat management, I'm all but certain you would have to have rear venting of some-sort. We made the CF boot. It weighs 7 pounds and as we know makes service tough. I elected to not bond in the boot so now the rear clam is truly just a big shell. That really makes the engine bay a much more open area and I believe will allow adequate air exchange via the scoops and out above the diffuser and wheel opening areas. If I need more airflow, I can relieve the bodywork between the tail lights, but I don't think that will be the case.

I've changed so much on this car, again, that data will be fun to sift through after the race this weekend!

-Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable
post #163 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Been off the track for a couple months and I could really feel how rusty I was. It was real hard to get back in the mental game, dealing with braking zones, etc.

There were 120 cars entered across the various classes. Greg Vannucci, National Champion, in his 2GR (v6) powered exige, was there as usual. He's such a fantastic driver, it's always fun to share the track with him.

Day one had me .003 behind him at a high 1:29...

I hold the overall and class NASA record at this track at 1:28.0. Nobody was making new records this weekend, as the track just wasn't particularly fast... However, I was off due to the mental game-- not the track... Too much braking and not asking the car for much.

After spending time on the embarrassing data, it was enough to force me to let things hang out a bit more on Day 2. Day 2 was fruitful. Heat 1 didn't come together, but heat 2 things were starting to make sense again---- and it felt great!

The car has so much more in it, and I never executed a flawless lap by any means, but we certainly got back in the game with a 1:28.2, which was more than 1.5 seconds ahead of Greg and the rest of the field.

Here's a short vid of a nearly 2 laps of a lot of shifting and bouncing off the rev limiter....

Also some updated pics...

Attached Images

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable

post #164 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 06:57 AM

Your car and Greg's couldn't sound any different.

2005 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - BOE 400 Supercharged
2006 Lotus Elise - Solar Yellow - BOE 450 Supercharged
post #165 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

hard to make a V6 sound good... especially compared to a little 2ZZ!

post #166 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-18-2015, 10:43 AM

Wow awesome cars guys

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2005 Elise 111R, 2litre, 315hp, FF275 Turbo kit 6lbs. Soon to be 400+
post #167 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 05:31 PM
because racecar

Here's some messy phone pics of my dual element swan neck wing. Thought you might find it interesting. For track I will remove the top element or set aoa very conservative. Needless to say it makes a lot of forces in the downward direction.

It is sitting on some 26x10" drag radials for scale.

2005 Lotus Elise turbo k20a2 757whp 536wtq 31psi [email protected]
2005 Lotus Elise 2zz supercharged 'streetable' race car
2007 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder
2010 Ford F350
2004 Mazda RX8
2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I passed my license test in a 3cyl 70hp Geo Metro
I learned to drive a manual on a Lotus Elise
post #168 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Interesting, Dallas. You did a nice job with your uprights, and etc... Who did the wing again?

Overall setup may be good for autocross, but not likely the right setup for road course, FWIW...

Cheers,

Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasreed View Post
Here's some messy phone pics of my dual element swan neck wing. Thought you might find it interesting. For track I will remove the top element or set aoa very conservative. Needless to say it makes a lot of forces in the downward direction.

It is sitting on some 26x10" drag radials for scale.

Last edited by turbophil; 08-19-2015 at 07:50 PM.
post #169 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 08:00 PM

Nice Phil. You definitely need a "faster" steering rack. Seriously, do you have the quickest ratio available installed on the car? If not, it would be a very good upgrade.

Bob L

2008 Solar Yellow Exige S240 (Torque 300)
1991 Elan M100
2015 Cayman GTS
2016 Ford Flex--Tow Vehicle
post #170 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 09:19 PM
because racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbophil View Post
Interesting, Dallas. You did a nice job with your uprights, and etc... Who did the wing again?

Overall setup may be good for autocross, but not likely the right setup for road course, FWIW...

Cheers,

Phil
cirodesign racing & apr performance

Although I haven't done road course with it yet I think the effects will be noticeable and positive there also. Pretty much every angle is adjustable, so I think it could be dialed in for whatever within reason.

2005 Lotus Elise turbo k20a2 757whp 536wtq 31psi [email protected]
2005 Lotus Elise 2zz supercharged 'streetable' race car
2007 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder
2010 Ford F350
2004 Mazda RX8
2007 Mazda Mazdaspeed 3
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid
I passed my license test in a 3cyl 70hp Geo Metro
I learned to drive a manual on a Lotus Elise
post #171 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabob View Post
Nice Phil. You definitely need a "faster" steering rack. Seriously, do you have the quickest ratio available installed on the car? If not, it would be a very good upgrade.

Bob L

Thanks, Bob. Good advice. It's a stock rack! It's really tough to make the time to get to everything. My poor car is always the project that gets worked on between midnight and 3AM since the customer cars come first... A real short rack would certainly be the way to go. Only caveat is being in good shape. As you can see in the video, there's an awful lot of feedback as it is with the aero and speeds, so it can get a bit exhausting at the end of a day!

Nevertheless, a short ratio rack is on the list... Probably over the winter/off-season

-Phil

post #172 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasreed View Post
cirodesign racing & apr performance

Although I haven't done road course with it yet I think the effects will be noticeable and positive there also. Pretty much every angle is adjustable, so I think it could be dialed in for whatever within reason.
The wing in probably fine, but the mounting is probably not fine if it makes anything like serious DF. My wing bent the frame over time and toppled over 3/16" aluminum mounts that look a fair bit beefier than you have there.... We tried a couple variations of mounts that sandwiched the clam in a similar fashion you pictured there. Eventually the system failed as it's quite difficult to get very good lateral support with that setup you have.

Finally just dealt with reality and made tall one-piece carbon spars from 1/2" honeycomb wrapped in 7x7 ply CF that went into aluminum receivers mounted to the fish-plated frame and hung the wing from those. We put a few guys standing on the wing and pushed it side to side to be sure it was going to hold some reasonable lateral load. My guess is that if you had 2 or 3 guys standing on your wing and they shook side to side it would break something quick...

-Phil

Edit: PS- Manufacture makes sense. Looked very APRish. Their stuff is uber heavy, but it is certainly priced right. They are a great entry point into some decent aero parts for sure.

post #173 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Some more build specs on the car here:

Phil's 2015 TT Build BOE Fabrication

I'll get some better pics up soon hopefully!

Time to pack for LOG!

-Phil

post #174 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 12:37 AM

running the solid rear engine cover will definitely allow much cleaner air to get to that rear wing and as such allow less AOA.

On mine and Jamies Time Attack cars we both went for solid ones verses the motorsport vented versions that are avaliable for better aero and both have the same dual element wing.

Jamie has 600bhp+ and runs his main element at minus 2 degrees I believe with 1600lb springs on the rear so it makes some decent downforce, im sure you know this but because the air will be attached to the engine cover it will interact with the wing at a different angle, so you might set it at 0 degrees but infact the wing is getting air at 5-10 degrees.

Dallasreed, those wing uprights dont look strong enough for what your doing with it, that wing at 150mph will probably be making circa 400kg of downforce, thats 4 very large guys sitting on it, would you be confident to do that, ive driven without my wing at 80mph and even in a straight line it felt scary, i wouldnt want it to fail at high speed on track, ive had that and been thrown into a wall at 90mph so wouldnt want i to happen to anyone else.

Mine are made from 12mm pure carbon fibre which i will be cutting some holes out for weight reduction but even so, they are 700mm x 220mm x 12mm an weigh 1.2kg each

i would suggest you thicken up your supports or at least cross brace them, i use carbon rod for that.
This is at 80mph with my wing, on 700/900 setup for testing, my diffuser is normally 80mm from the ground when static

Also Phil shouldnt have any issues with temps, that rear wing will create a low pressure zone behind the car and help pull the air out, aswell as the natural pressure differential between in and outside of the clam, ive got a red hot turbo 4inches from the back of my head and you can see the exhaust popping out of the side of the rear clam and dont have any temperature issues in there.
post #175 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

A few action pics...

FYI- Still quite a bit of platform movement with 1,000 pound springs, good roll centers, and a super heavy 1.25 inch roll bar set stiff... Amazing what some aero and tires will allow you to do!

-Phil
Attached Images

post #176 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 08:21 PM

I should have asked for a ride at LOG!

Travis
Vulcan Grey Esprit 89 SE

My Lotus Project Photo Collection
post #177 of 188 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Yes. Yes you should have!

post #178 of 188 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

Had a good weekend of running again. A quick vid...

While we reset the track record, we opted to not tear the trans down to move to taller gearing since we have events shortly after and a full shop of work to do for customers. So we were way under-geared and found the top end of the RPM range in 6th before T1 of the oval! Ouch!

What a great test of the motor to sit at redline around the speedway oval!

There's always room for improvement, but not a lot of point in pushing too hard in the Speedway's concrete jungle of walls...

post #179 of 188 (permalink) Old 09-28-2015, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Plug Whisperer

More Engine progress to round out the season....

...and more engine progress to round out the season....

We've been working with Jim of JCR for years on perfecting the 2ZZ head. I believe we're the first on the planet to be running these little gems from Ferrea as part of their development team alongside JCR.

Many thanks to Jim for pushing on Ferrea so hard to get these to the market.

Also, testing and tuning has shown that on a supercharged engine, we were able to negate torque loss down low and pickup nice power all the way from 5500 RPM to redline. These rockers DO change the ratio and increase the valve lift, while decreasing valvetrain inertia and friction. These are the last step to fixing the weak links in the 2ZZ head!

There will be more cam shafts to follow, but I can say for certain they will work just fine on cams configured for the OEM rockers.

Substantial ECU remapping is/was required for those interested at home....

-Phil
Attached Images

Last edited by turbophil; 09-28-2015 at 10:26 PM.
post #180 of 188 (permalink) Old 10-21-2015, 12:11 PM

Enjoying watching your build and getting ideas for my car, 2008 S240 which I run in TT3. Like you, I use AIM data which I like very much. My question is this: I added an oil pressure sensor using a T fitting with the stock oil pressure switch. MXL2 dash reads 0 engine off and 1-2 psi engine running. Sent the sensor and the dash back to Josh at AIM, both check out. Had my local AIM dealer check the install, we can't figure out why this won't work. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Track and Technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in