Pads for high speed track use on sticky tires - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 03:07 PM
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
For disclosure, I've got several years on track experience with M3s across two generations, and run bmwcca advanced group. I'm getting into a Lotus for the first time, and it's one that Phil built, so it's got some power, but I believe the brakes are stock. In my experience with other track forum sections from other makes there are usually a few 'known good' combos of pads or pad/rotor upgrades on the market, so I was just looking for some experience. Saying "it depends", while of course it does, isn't terrifically helpful to someone new to the platform.
Cool. Well hope my answer helped... RC6 or a DTC60 or a Ferodo 3000, etc on all 4 and then you can tune to your liking... When you tune, it will likely be to increase rear bite...

I've had a few M3s. They're the hardest to loop car on the planet. Pure glory and the engineers of the 36 and 46 deserve a special place in church! The Lotus is a super easy car to drive fast once you learn how... it's like a Porsche. If you're like many, the M3 allowed you to build habbits that work fine on that car but will make you a spin doctor on the Lotus. Additional rear brake bias will make that more of an issue. My suggestion is stick to same pads on all 4 corners until you really master it, and even then you might be happy to keep it that way...

Cheers,

-Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
For disclosure, I've got several years on track experience with M3s across two generations, and run bmwcca advanced group. I'm getting into a Lotus for the first time, and it's one that Phil built, so it's got some power, but I believe the brakes are stock. In my experience with other track forum sections from other makes there are usually a few 'known good' combos of pads or pad/rotor upgrades on the market, so I was just looking for some experience. Saying "it depends", while of course it does, isn't terrifically helpful to someone new to the platform.
Ok. I have to agree with Phil on most of what he has said. I love the CL series pads because they give almost the same pedal feel when they are cold or hot. I use them on my race car, a 2500# car with 700+ HP, that is a circle track car, 8" tires and OEM single piston calipers.

I have found the Lotus to have too much front bias. Now my Exige has 308mm front and 288mm rears. I played with pad bias, swapping to dual piston rears and finally removing the ABS and booster. I have split masters with a balance bar setup. I run a custom setup to allow me to use Wilwood 4 piston calipers all the way around. Because of the calipers, I had to switch to CarboTech pads. XP10s started to fade at Watkins Glenn but ran fine on less high speed tracks. I have found XP10s not that great for street because they need some warmup time. I am going to try XP12s all the way around at Barber next week. I also picked up a set of AX6s to use on the street.

Now, I am a person who likes rear brake bias. If you have 288mm rotors all the way around, I would make sure I had the same calipers on all four corners. Start with CL6s on all four corners. If the car feels a little pushy on corner entry during braking, try a set of CL8s on the rear. If you are going to track the car much, I would not use CL5s. CL6s work great on the street but the will make a little bit of noise.

Also, I prefer full floating rotors with gas slots vs. drilled rotors. The slots will eat pads a little quicker but they do a better job of helping the pads disperse the gas build up and keep the pads cleaned up. With slots, I believe you have less of a chance of developing cracks from the drilled holes.

If you followed all of that then "Good Luck" and have fun. I see that you are located in NC, if you are in the Concord area, give me a shoot. You are welcome to come over and check out my setup.

Later,
Eldon
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 08:22 PM

Thank you both for the much more informative answers. Some recognizable pad listings and real world impressions as such are helpful.

I'm by Raleigh, not Charlotte, and the car isn't even here yet (awaiting transport) but it will be spending time at VIR, CMP, NCCAR, and occasionally tracks further afield. Once it's here and I've got a reason to head west it would be great to meet more Lotus trackers!

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 04:03 AM

Phil and I have our differences but on brakes he is 100% on it. My Elise was at its best when I put better pads on the rear v the front. Never had any fade etc. The difference was very confidence inspirng as well.
Similar finding in Evora thus reason I use same size pad on rears as fronts to get that last little bit of surface area on the rotor. The .5 mm overhang just flakes off as pads wear and it makes for easy inventory of spare parts.

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Track and Technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in