Rainy HPDE Prep - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Rainy HPDE Prep

Hey guys - new to the Lotus community with a stupid question:

What do you do (if anything) to prepare your car for a track day in the rain, given that open windows may allow some water to enter the cabin? I'm moderately concerned about damage to electrical systems and/or interior trim. I've never had any issues with prior cars, but then again, they weren't British
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 04:55 PM

I've never had any trouble with the rain. If it's raining enough that you will get electronics wet then they go window up.

Are you going to a rain event at Cresson? Be aware that it is SUPER SUPER SUPER slippery in the wet, like you cant even comprehend it...

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 05:58 PM
He's on fire!

if you get a lot of water inside, either its raining so hard you shouldn't be out there, or you're not going fast enough.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys. Was really just worried about the windows and door panels being super sensitive to moisture considering all of the other quirks of these cars but it sounds like that's not something to worry about.

Looks like the Cresson 1.7 CW could get a little wet this weekend and it'll be my first time on (any) track in something that's not German.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2018, 06:19 PM

Cesson CW wet tips from an ex pro driver I spent the weekend with, super glad that I drove it was awesome:

Big bend enter, apex and exit offline and make sure you cross the line at steady throttle and steering on exit.
The next right hander is normal but I think you don't track out all the way.
The downhill right is the hardest part of the track. Super easy to lock up once you start going down the hill. Brake ofline and drive alllllmost to the end of the track before you turn. It will see like you're never going to get traction but KEEP DRIVING here and you will catch before you hit the grass. Even if the braking goes wrong keep driving until just before you leave the track.
Buzzard neck and lttle bend are normal except that you brake off line at little bend
Ricochet didn't seem that bad just you can't go as fast as normal.
Wagon wheel again you brake offline, get turned in and on exit use alll the track, all of the esses section here is SUPER SUPER slippery, like the appropriate speed will be in the 20's. The wet line is often waaaaay at the edge of the track, like you feel like you are going to drive into the grass and you JUST catch traction before you leave the track.

Whatever you do make sure you run every session in the rain on that track. It is the best learning experience that you can have and it is easily the most valuable time that I have spent in the car as far as getting to be a better driver. At the time I was doing AX a fair bit and I moved from a steady ~20th in pax to around 3-6th depending on who shows up in a WAY under prepped car JUST from that weekend.

I assume Mark will make you have an instructor since its your first time there in that car and the rain. I had to when I ran with them, I had Vaughn, if he is there ask for him!

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Track and Technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in