TIPS for New Drivers, Part 1 - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glb View Post
Sure, there are many people who need SUVs. In NJ, there are very few of those ppl.

And, we agree about how scary it is to watch ill-trained drivers speed on slippery roads.

I am glad you liked this and appreciate your additions and compliment.
I do take exception to the 'there are few people who need'.

An SUV is a car. Like many others. Let's be honest, the lion's share of us don't daily drive these cars. Our little plastic go karts are the epitome of 'we don't NEED them'.

People are free to drive what they like - assuming they drive in a reasonable and considerate manner. Someone may see my wife driver our big SUV today and say 'she doesn't NEED that'. That may be a 1pm this afternoon.

What they didn't see is that, at 4:30pm, she'll have my 3 kids, the neighbor kid, all of their hockey gear (and most likely our dog which she takes on a nice walk while the kids skate). They also won't see me flat towing my Moke back and forth or lugging mulch or 4x8' sheets of MDF back and forth for some project I'm building. The SUV is the only car that can offer that - UTILITY.

SUVs are wonderful vehicles that serve a fantastic purpose. Do people have them who 'shouldn't'? Possibly. But the same can be said for many cars (pickups, etc).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 08:59 AM

Garage
One overall thought that I passed onto my kids:

"If everybody did what they were supposed to do while they were driving, there wouldn't be any accidents. So don't expect everybody to stay in their lane, stop at lights or stop signs, or yield when they're supposed to, etc. Keep alert and drive defensively".

It's all good stuff , keep it coming.......

-----------------------------
2011 Persian Blue Elise RS
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
Great stuff. I notice this was started in '07.

Since then, THE most dangerous thing happened to autos. Increased power/speed (ie, the number of sub 5 second cars on the road?)? Nope. The prevalence of SUVs? Nope.

TEXTING.

Everyone has a smart phone. Everyone texts. The problem is that many, many people do it while driving. It's horrific. Think about it. Everytime you see an accident, don't you immediately assume 'someone was texting'. And it's primarily young people.

I would also add, and sorry if this offends - mothers. I live in the suburbs of the 3rd largest city in the country. In addition, I'm in sales so often driving in the middle of the day. Most of the cars out at that time are women going to and fro. Arguably the worst drivers on the planet - why? Because they are distracted. They are NEVER paying attention to the road. Not to mention, how many women I see in late model SUVs or Minivans that are HOLDING their iPhone to their ears and talking (insanely distracted). Lady, your car came with BLUETOOTH. Take 10 seconds, read the manual and pair your damn phone. Not to mention that your conversation is, like most of the texts sent, completely useless and unimportant.

I'm fortunate that my wife is a very careful driver and just doesn't do stupid sh*t like that when she's driving - especially with my precious cargo in tow.

I'll also echo Todd's sentiments about the stupidity of SUV drivers (I've owned probably 10 SUVs over the last 20 years). Michigan drivers are the ABSOLUTE worst. Snow storm? Ice? Towing a trailer with two snowmobiles? Sure thing, let's ride the ass of the car in front of us in my 479,178 pound Tahoe or F350. Smart idea!
You are right about phones & texting, etc. Note, tho, that studies show being on the phone (bluetooth or NOT), are equally dangerous.

IIRC, this is because people don't scan all angles ahead, check their mirrors when on the phone.....any phone.

I found this hard to believe, but is apparently true. Sense would tell us that having two hands available, on the wheel for example has to be better.

Twice almost got clocked from the side in my TT Supra by drivers holding phones to the near side of their heads.

I need to update the piece. Thanks.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post
I do take exception to the 'there are few people who need'.

An SUV is a car. Like many others. Let's be honest, the lion's share of us don't daily drive these cars. Our little plastic go karts are the epitome of 'we don't NEED them'.

People are free to drive what they like - assuming they drive in a reasonable and considerate manner. Someone may see my wife driver our big SUV today and say 'she doesn't NEED that'. That may be a 1pm this afternoon.

What they didn't see is that, at 4:30pm, she'll have my 3 kids, the neighbor kid, all of their hockey gear (and most likely our dog which she takes on a nice walk while the kids skate). They also won't see me flat towing my Moke back and forth or lugging mulch or 4x8' sheets of MDF back and forth for some project I'm building. The SUV is the only car that can offer that - UTILITY.

SUVs are wonderful vehicles that serve a fantastic purpose. Do people have them who 'shouldn't'? Possibly. But the same can be said for many cars (pickups, etc).
Minivans are often safer and stop and turn better. It appears to be an image thing.

And, yes, around here we see p/us that seem to never have had anything in the bed.

I think only 2% of SUV drivers go off-road.

Certainly good for towing, tho.

I drove a truck for a living when young; someone would still have to pay me to do it.

We all have our things.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 11:55 AM
Addict

Garage
Lots of good tips. Apparently I had a good driving instructor in high school and lectors from my dad as most of these items I’ve heard before. I’d add:

Flashing Yellow Traffic Lights do not mean stop, flashing red lights do. The very knowledgeable traffic designers pick what direction has the right of way to proceed through busy intersections when the power drops or a malfunction occurs, you stopping will create a huge and unnecessary traffic jam. Also, the person behind you is not expecting you to stop for a flashing yellow light, they expect you to slow to make sure the intersection is clear but not randomly stop.

Drunk drivers tend to follow cars in front of them or at least their lights if dark. If you believe the driver of the car behind you is impaired make sure to use your turn signals or they will tend to copy everything you do. If you change lanes they follow, if you move into a turn lane they follow, but if you use your blinker it will help change their following behavior and they might avoid running into you when you slow to get out of their way.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
Lots of good tips. Apparently I had a good driving instructor in high school and lectors from my dad as most of these items Ive heard before. Id add:

Flashing Yellow Traffic Lights do not mean stop, flashing red lights do. The very knowledgeable traffic designers pick what direction has the right of way to proceed through busy intersections when the power drops or a malfunction occurs, you stopping will create a huge and unnecessary traffic jam. Also, the person behind you is not expecting you to stop for a flashing yellow light, they expect you to slow to make sure the intersection is clear but not randomly stop.

Drunk drivers tend to follow cars in front of them or at least their lights if dark. If you believe the driver of the car behind you is impaired make sure to use your turn signals or they will tend to copy everything you do. If you change lanes they follow, if you move into a turn lane they follow, but if you use your blinker it will help change their following behavior and they might avoid running into you when you slow to get out of their way.

Yes.

Flashing lights: That's why I wrote to not do anything unexpected.

Nice cop told me that on the hwy, drunk drivers had their high beams on a lot.
I dunno.

post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 12:40 PM
Closer than you think

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
Add to this: Assume EVERY driver on the road after midnight is drunk. You'll be about 50% correct.

2005 BRP Elise Sport, Hardtop, Stage 2 Exhaust, CF side scoops, CF splitter, Composite Worx seats, gunmetal stripes
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 03:45 PM

This may have been mentioned. My rule of thumb at a red light to avoid becoming a statistic is to always have a clear view of the rear-view mirror of the car ahead. If I can see him, he can see me.. assuming he/she is using the mirror:face palm

The OP's advice about adjusting the side view mirrors is priceless information.
Everyone I know has no idea about eliminating the "blindspot." There is no blindspot unless the driver creates it. Most have their mirrors aimed at the rear door handles which effectively gives the driver 2 additional rear-view images which is to say most people drive around with 3 rear view mirrors.

Trivia: What car has 2 rear view mirrors?

2006 Elise ST (someone else has it now . . . )
2008 Exige S240 ST
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepe View Post
This may have been mentioned. My rule of thumb at a red light to avoid becoming a statistic is to always have a clear view of the rear-view mirror of the car ahead. If I can see him, he can see me.. assuming he/she is using the mirror:face palm

The OP's advice about adjusting the side view mirrors is priceless information.
Everyone I know has no idea about eliminating the "blindspot." There is no blindspot unless the driver creates it. Most have their mirrors aimed at the rear door handles which effectively gives the driver 2 additional rear-view images which is to say most people drive around with 3 rear view mirrors.

Trivia: What car has 2 rear view mirrors?

OK, I give up (easily).

post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 06:00 PM

McLaren F1...do you even car?

2008 Exige S240 ST
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 06:05 PM
anglophile in exile

Was looking for a photo and beaten to the answer by four minutes!!

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 06:15 PM

If a random questionee was asked what year the McLaren F1 was manufactured what would be a likely answer? note: not a car person (PC for the ladies )

---totally off topic, but not sorry

2008 Exige S240 ST
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-09-2015, 08:16 PM
anglophile in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepe View Post
If a random questionee was asked what year the McLaren F1 was manufactured what would be a likely answer? note: not a car person (PC for the ladies )

---totally off topic, but not sorry
Without looking it up I would say 1992...

So looked it up and the answer is 1992 to 1998
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 07:25 AM Thread Starter
glb

Bumpee

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Track and Technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in