Track day insurance - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 06:22 PM
Absolute power does what?

What the hell was he doing, seemed he massively over breaked the corner as you caught him so damn quickly.

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Daily/Tow: '10 V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 07:07 PM
He's on fire!

I don't think all the "normal" insurance companies started adding language that excluded events on race tracks because no one was making claims.

That said, still an individual choice. I ran the numbers for me and for the number I'm at it makes more sense to have it, thats really what anyone should do, assess your risk and run the numbers for you, and go with what makes sense.

I have a hard time understanding buying multi event policies though. If I purchase 6 or 9 events worth of policy, it seems like I'm naturally assuming I won't have an issue (and if I believe that I why am I buying insurance in the first place?) For example, if I bought 9 events coverage and had an off and busted a clam or two up good, it could very well be 8 months or more before everything was repaired whole and you could easily be out the majority of cash I laid out for coverage in the first place. I'd love to save the cash though, so if I'm missing something I'd love to be enlightened!

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

Last edited by jds62f; 02-12-2015 at 07:18 PM.
post #23 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
craigyirush

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscarlson View Post
What the hell was he doing, seemed he massively over breaked the corner as you caught him so damn quickly.
I didn't describe it well. We were on a part of Streets which goes uphill and then downhill after a right hander. He went off on the downhill part and came flying back towards us across the dirt between the two parts of the track.

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)

post #24 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-12-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyirush View Post
I didn't describe it well. We were on a part of Streets which goes uphill and then downhill after a right hander. He went off on the downhill part and came flying back towards us across the dirt between the two parts of the track.
Uh, am I just somehow missing that but I'm not seeing that in the video at all. Don't mean to argue, I'm just confused. Are you saying he goes off somewhere between 2:10-2:30 before you get very close (and really not that close, you're still ~20 feet apart)? I don't see any dirt off his tires or anything, just seemed he massively braked a few seconds before you came up on him very quickly (you do seem to be out driving him by a fair bit). What am I missing?

And BTW is that an Evora dash I see, don't know them super well but it does seem like a rather nice car from that dash.

-Ross

2006 Exige | Full List | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillett B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | Penske DA 600/800lbs | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

Former: '11 Jaguar XF-R | '08 Audi RS 4 | '09 Legacy Spec.B | '08 Volvo S60R | '07 Nissan 350Z
post #25 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
craigyirush

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscarlson View Post
Uh, am I just somehow missing that but I'm not seeing that in the video at all. Don't mean to argue, I'm just confused. Are you saying he goes off somewhere between 2:10-2:30 before you get very close (and really not that close, you're still ~20 feet apart)? I don't see any dirt off his tires or anything, just seemed he massively braked a few seconds before you came up on him very quickly (you do seem to be out driving him by a fair bit). What am I missing?

And BTW is that an Evora dash I see, don't know them super well but it does seem like a rather nice car from that dash.

-Ross
I thought you were replying to my earlier tale of a close call at Streets.
It appears you were asking about the video, which is not mine!
Sorry for the confusion.

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
post #26 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-13-2015, 12:09 PM

D'oh - sorry about that, yup, that's exactly what I was asking. I wondered how I missed the Ferrari not going off!

post #27 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Doing my first HPDE in the Lotus and was wondering whom to get track day insurance from.

I did a search and most of the LT threads were about whether regular street insurance covers track days.

I know that MotorsportsReg offers track day insurance, but would be interested to get some other suggestions, as well as any advice (has anyone here had the misfortune to make a claim, was the company good to deal with, etc.).

Thanks in advance.
Check out our article:

autotrackdaymonthly.com - Track Day Insurance: Do You Need It? How to Get It.
and give Lockton a call.
post #28 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 05:20 AM

Garage
I use Lockton

did my first track day without insurance, but have been using them since (3 more events)

I did spin at my last event and was/am glad I had insurance even if I kept it on the track and had no damage

Still its a load off my mind and not worth the "savings" if I didn't have it

Lotus Elise '05 Graphite Grey; Miles: 41,xxx
post #29 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
craigyirush

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoTrackDay View Post

Thanks - I did buy insurance from Lockton. Happily, I didn't have to use it!

post #30 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Thanks - I did buy insurance from Lockton. Happily, I didn't have to use it!
Nothing like peace of mind.
post #31 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 01:18 PM

IMO, trackday insurance is a ripoff.

I insure my Elise, full coverage, for about $300 every 6 months. My policy excludes racing, but not track operation. I specifically chose my insurance company for this reason.

Even if I did not have that coverage, I still would not pay $300 for a one-day policy, when I am paying the same for 6 months. I don't know the statistics, but it seems to me that there is no way a single track day could possibly hold more risk than 6 months of driving on the street.

Pat Wildfire

06 Elise
02 Triumph 955i
93 Mazda RX7 3 rotor
09 Mini Clubman
14 Mercedes GLK250
99 Mygale FC
post #32 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwildfire View Post
IMO, trackday insurance is a ripoff.

I insure my Elise, full coverage, for about $300 every 6 months. My policy excludes racing, but not track operation. I specifically chose my insurance company for this reason.

Even if I did not have that coverage, I still would not pay $300 for a one-day policy, when I am paying the same for 6 months. I don't know the statistics, but it seems to me that there is no way a single track day could possibly hold more risk than 6 months of driving on the street.
Which insurer is this, if you don't mind me asking?

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #33 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 03:32 PM
He's on fire!

Even if you do find an insurer that does cover HPDE, as soon as you have to use it they will likely drop you, then it will be harder to get insured again. If all your vehicles are on the same policy, this could be a high impact problem.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #34 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TachItUp View Post
Same.
post #35 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Geico in some states. Check the "exclusions" section in your contract and see. Most insurance companies started getting really against track driving a few years ago, but they aren't all updated yet. Even geico has different contracts per state - some allow HPDE and some don't.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #36 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 06:03 PM

Garage
I'm paying about 200$ for each event for a 30k value, but paying 464 for a 6 months on normal insurance

If I could do it your way, I totally would PWildfire

Lotus Elise '05 Graphite Grey; Miles: 41,xxx
post #37 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 04:47 PM

When I bought and first insured my Elise one of the first questions that AAA asked was "will this be tracked?" The next thing they said was that they did NOT insure a car on the track. Kinda sucks, but knock on wood, I haven't had any damaging incidents on the track.

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]
post #38 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
In WA, I am with Country.

When I moved here and was shopping for new insurance, I asked the agents for a sample policy so i could read the exclusions. Pretty much all the 'big name' companies excluded anything on a track.

I used to live in MI, and Geico did not have a track exclusion there, but I believe they do here in WA. It is different for every company and in every state.

Pat Wildfire

06 Elise
02 Triumph 955i
93 Mazda RX7 3 rotor
09 Mini Clubman
14 Mercedes GLK250
99 Mygale FC
post #39 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 04:19 AM

I just read up on my current policy (USAA), and the wording is kinda vague. Basically, it says I will not be covered if I am driving on a track preparing for or participating in a competition. If I can prove I have no intent to compete, then I'd potentially be covered, but that is hardly a cut-and-dry case. Not sure I want to test that one..

"Lots Of Trouble; Usually Serious"
post #40 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-10-2015, 08:33 AM
Such moderate

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyow5 View Post
I just read up on my current policy (USAA), and the wording is kinda vague. Basically, it says I will not be covered if I am driving on a track preparing for or participating in a competition. If I can prove I have no intent to compete, then I'd potentially be covered, but that is hardly a cut-and-dry case. Not sure I want to test that one..

I have USAA as well, I need to skim through mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Track and Technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in