Track days w/o a trailer: what do you bring and how do you pack it. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
user /tron

Track days w/o a trailer: what do you bring and how do you pack it.

I'm getting prepped for my first DE in the lotus. I don't have a tow vehicle/trailer and trying to figure out what to bring and how to get it there. In my old STI I could fit a cooler, plastic tub full of spares, fluid and tools, jack and stands, folding chair and a full set of tires if I wanted to. The Elise is a totally different story.

Show me your set ups please!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 10:48 AM
RBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideMooch View Post
I'm getting prepped for my first DE in the lotus. I don't have a tow vehicle/trailer and trying to figure out what to bring and how to get it there. In my old STI I could fit a cooler, plastic tub full of spares, fluid and tools, jack and stands, folding chair and a full set of tires if I wanted to. The Elise is a totally different story.

Show me your set ups please!
Which track are you planning to go to and what group?

Do it once. Do it right.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
user /tron

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBH View Post
Which track are you planning to go to and what group?
The brand new Dominion Raceway in Thornburg, VA, with the PCA.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 11:11 AM
Tire abuser

Garage
I have a tow vehicle and a trailer now, but have driven the Elise to many track days. It's not bad. I have a small soft-sided cooler that will fit in the trunk along with a tool bag, folding chair and my helmet. There is still room to wedge in some extra bottles of fluids, glass cleaner, rags, whatever. The tool bag just has a good tire gauge, OBDII scanner and some basic tools like sockets, screwdriver, pliers, etc. My passenger seat was always empty, but you could put a jack in the floor. On hot days in the summer, I would carry a larger more insulated cooler in the floorboard on the passenger side.

'06 Arctic Silver Elise | Touring |Traction Control |Supercharged | ST exhaust | Nitron singles | BWR anti-sway bar | RTD brace | V2 Arms | SS brake lines | Harness bar and Schroth harnesses | sys.6.pack |shifter reinforced | Ultralite lines | cup air box | Sport inserts | DBW Pedals | TALLrails | Team Dynamics 1.2's | TOC Oil Pan | ProRad | FW Torque tune | BOE surge tank and catch can | Radium Clam Kit
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 11:58 AM

Garage
I have put a 5 gal gas can, medium sized cooler, and 10" canopy in the passenger seat and floor (I usually go to the track topless, but it should also work with a top). In the "trunk", I put my helmet, selection of emergency tools (including torque wrench), spare oil and brake fluid, rags, towel, painters tape (for numbers and to cover headlights and turn signals), windshield cleaner, my soft top (in case of rain), wheel chocks, and a small jack. It gets a little tight, but I am prepared.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 12:17 PM

i don't track my elise, but can confirm they don't make too bad a race support vehicle if you're out of other options

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 12:31 PM

What about renting a uhaul.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 02:27 PM
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
I've only done one HPDE event but I didn't find I needed much. A folding camping chair, a small softside cooler w/ water and a couple snacks, helmet, hat, sunscreen, and a handful of tools is about it. Just have fun, most likely the guy next to you in the 24' trailer will have something if you need to borrow a tool, air up your tires, or provide shade.

Nick____________
2005 Elise - Chrome Orange (SOLD)
2004 Porsche 911 GT3
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 02:35 PM

Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1459204447.230548.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  74.3 KB
Here's my solution.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Richard 2006 Elise
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 02:50 PM
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
^^^Like a boss^^^

Nick____________
2005 Elise - Chrome Orange (SOLD)
2004 Porsche 911 GT3
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 03:12 PM

Didn't someone sell that hitch kit?
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 03:38 PM

BOE sells a hitch kit.

Tow Bar ? BOE Fabrication
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 04:12 PM

Cooler in passenger footwell. Overnight bag and backpack on passenger seat (these contain a second set of clothes, sunscreen, extra hat, snacks, laptop, etc). In the trunk I have small air compressor, helmet, head and neck restraint, collapsible orange cones, small low-profile jack, engine oil, paper towel, windshield cleaner, torque wrench and all my other assorted tools (which isn't much).

You guys and your portable chairs -- what luxury!

2005 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise:
  • hard top, touring pack, HIDs, SJ Racing 15x7/16x8 track wheels
  • RTD Brace, Nitron 46mm Race Pro 1-Way, BOE oil pan
  • orange/black Lotus Sport trim shop seats, 6-point Schroth belts, Safety Solutions R3 Head & Neck Restraint System
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 06:27 PM
Tire abuser

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickshu View Post
I've only done one HPDE event but I didn't find I needed much. A folding camping chair, a small softside cooler w/ water and a couple snacks, helmet, hat, sunscreen, and a handful of tools is about it. Just have fun, most likely the guy next to you in the 24' trailer will have something if you need to borrow a tool, air up your tires, or provide shade.
Nickshu has a point. I did start checking to see if my friend from Midland would be at the event. He brings pretty much anything you can imagine, including spare parts and a trailer with a lift inside it.

I did the BOE trailer hitch and small trailer for a while. It is very nicely made and works well. It just got to the point where I prefer getting things ready the night before in my own garage and not having to crawl around on the ground changing tires in the dark at the track. Too lazy.

'06 Arctic Silver Elise | Touring |Traction Control |Supercharged | ST exhaust | Nitron singles | BWR anti-sway bar | RTD brace | V2 Arms | SS brake lines | Harness bar and Schroth harnesses | sys.6.pack |shifter reinforced | Ultralite lines | cup air box | Sport inserts | DBW Pedals | TALLrails | Team Dynamics 1.2's | TOC Oil Pan | ProRad | FW Torque tune | BOE surge tank and catch can | Radium Clam Kit
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 06:54 PM

I pull the 40 x 48" trailer with 12" wheels. It carries race wheels with slicks, air tank, three-drawer toolbox, and five gallon fuel can. Duffel, helmet bag, torque wrench, and hoverboard (pit vehicle) in boot. Jack, coolant, oil, and small toolbag in passenger footwell. Cooler on seat. A 24V impact wrench and foam pad for kneeling make wheel changing reasonably quick and painless.

Last edited by luxige; 03-28-2016 at 07:00 PM.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 07:00 PM

You'll be surprised how much stuff our trunks can hold as long as you utilize the space wisely. I bring a large gym bag and it are tools, torque wrench, gloves, baclava, 1qt. of oil, mL of Motul RBF, small tire inflator, tire pressure gauge, windex, paper towels and other misc. A small tool bag. I also bring 2 helmets, my communication equipment in a case, tire pyrometer in a case, two 2x2 plywood planks, a yoga mat, and a sweater or jacket. Now in the front footwell, I'm able to fit a jack helper, a small harbor freight jack, a 5 gallon plastic gas can, a foldable chair, and a farmers hat. On the passenger seat, I have a little back pack that I have my personal stuff.

I forgot my Necksgen HNR goes in the boot also.

Last edited by jumpman1975; 03-28-2016 at 08:24 PM.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 07:28 PM

Ross Carlson is the zen master of packing a lotus.
LeMadChef likes this.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 08:00 PM

Garage
This is really interesting reading. I'm considering doing a track day this summer, and curious how to manage getting my car track ready, and then to the track and home safely. Good stuff here.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2016, 11:42 PM

I by no means am an expert on this, I track my car 12-15 times a year but have only been doing it 3 years so I consider my self still new to it.

1. I hate working on my car at the track, I'm there to have fun, drive and learn. Not play mechanic so I make sure my car is 100% ready to go. I do take some spares but very little and tools to get me by.

2. Tires should be no problem for you because your new at it. Most likely your not going to outdrive what you have on the car and if you do its a good learning experience in car control.

3. Important things.....Keep yourself hydrated, fed, and in the shade if you are in a warm climate like Road Atlanta in July. Take what you need to achieve that. I have a friend that shows up in her 944 with a cooler, a chair, sunscreen, tires and an umbrella. And low cut tops but........... I take all kinds of **** in the summer, ext cords, fans, head wraps, coolie hats.......It gets hot. Plan for it.

4. 4 things I use the most, tire gauge, torque wrench, 12v air comp, and a jack occasionally. Factor in fuel also, are you going to buy fuel at the track or locally? Plan for it.

5. Last.......I see a lot of people drive to the track that have mechanical problems and then spend the next 4 hours trying to figure out how to get home. We push our cars on the track and it does happen to the best of us. Research a local towing company that can take you home, a Uhaul truck and dolly, etc....... Don't get stuck on sunday afternoon saying WTF. Have a contingency plan, Be like Scotty on Star Trek and be able to go into damage control mode quick.

Hope this helps a bit.........PM me if you have any questions.
SS Lotus Elise likes this.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2016, 05:08 AM

Jefrac, have you sold your trailer hitch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Track and Technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in