Where do you mount phone for Harry's Lap Timer? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By rnr
  • 1 Post By LostPawn
  • 1 Post By richthom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Where do you mount phone for Harry's Lap Timer?

Hi. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. I did a search and couldn't find any helpful info. It's been about 7 years since I did any data logging (I was on a very long track day hiatus). My DL1 doesn't work anymore, and now Harry's Lap Timer and RaceChrono look like strong "close enough" solutions for what I need. I just need some advice on the set-up, though:

1) Where do people mount their phones, and how? During one of my first track days back after the hiatus, I had a suction-cup mount for GoPro right below the rear-view mirror (that is, inside the car, stuck to the windshield). I found it distracting, and it blocked my field of view during right-turn corners. A phone will probably be bigger, so I'm confused about the mounting location.

2) I have never used these apps before, so I'd like some advice on whether the phone running Harry's Lap Timer can go anywhere in the car, and still provide useful data. My current spot for the GoPro is right on the flat deck of the dashboard (I use the adhesive mount). If I used the GoPro for video, and the phone/app for data acquisition, can I basically mount the phone anywhere as long as it has line-of-site with GPS satellites?

3) For that matter, does anyone use external GPS for more accurate data? How exactly does it connect to the phone -- Bluetooth?

4) And, finally, is anyone using either Harry's or RaceChrono to trigger/control GoPro? Any advice? Is the set-up self-evident once you begin using the app?

For what it's worth, not sure which phone I'll be using for this. It will probably be Android. I have a bunch of phones (review units) sitting around, and will probably use the Galaxy S6 Edge unless popular opinion says that's not a good idea.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

2005 Chrome Orange Lotus Elise:
  • hard top, touring pack, HIDs, SJ Racing 15x7/16x8 track wheels
  • RTD Brace, Nitron 46mm Race Pro 1-Way, BOE oil pan
  • orange/black Lotus Sport trim shop seats, 6-point Schroth belts, Safety Solutions R3 Head & Neck Restraint System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 09:08 AM

Garage

This seems to be the gold standard for windshield mounting iPhones. I used to use one before I upgraded to an AiM Solo DL, which also mounts with a Ram Mount Suction cup.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 09:12 AM
rnr

Bottom right corner of the windshield works for me most of that area is blocked by the fender anyway. Plus you can glance over and see the time on the straights.

You can see the suction mount in this pic: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rnair/26265221556/
Sample Race Chrono vid from a Nexus 5X
JonOrangeElise likes this.

http://www.rahulnair.net/blog
06 Elise
16 Dodge Charger Hellcat
02 Dodge Viper GTS
13 Evora S IPS (sold)
02 WCM Ultralite (sold)

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 09:30 AM
Addict

Garage
I will take a picture tonight, but I mounted my phone on a speaker delete plate, driverís side. It is low enough to be out of the way and I bolted it to the plate, donít have to worry about the suction cup not holding. Iím using Harryís Lap Timer and syncing to GoPro video after. I have not moved to using external GPS sensors but Iím guessing once I need that I will need better data than this setup provides. I have not tried using the phone to start the GoPro, might have to play with that some.
JonOrangeElise likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnr View Post
Bottom right corner of the windshield works for me most of that area is blocked by the fender anyway. Plus you can glance over and see the time on the straights.

You can see the suction mount in this pic: https://www.flickr.com/photos/rnair/26265221556/
Sample Race Chrono vid from a Nexus 5X
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMXm-rSeRRE
Rahul: With the phone mounted that far to the left, how do you get the video image so well centered? It looks like the phone/camera is almost in the middle of the dash. Also, which app are you using? Thanks much.

• orange/black Lotus Sport trim shop seats, 6-point Schroth belts, Safety Solutions R3 Head & Neck Restraint System
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 12:05 PM

I use Harry's on my S6, with the Hero3 (wireless) and

(Bluetooth). First using it was last weekend and messed it all up due to user error. Otherwise it seemed to work great aside from my moment of stupidity.

You have to be mindful which GoPro you get. Harry's can only remotely control a few of the GoPros (Hero3/3+ silver and Hero4 silver).
My phone is suction cup mounted to the dash right between the center air vents with an

. I keep it in landscape mode and have it down low covering the top portion of the vents. Not sure if that will be my long term location or not, still experimenting.

I highly recommend the external GPS units. The one in your phone (1hz) is complete garbage for track or autoX data logging IMO. It all depends on your expectations and what you're doing with the GPS data.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 12:24 PM
rnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOrangeElise View Post
Rahul: With the phone mounted that far to the left, how do you get the video image so well centered? It looks like the phone/camera is almost in the middle of the dash. Also, which app are you using? Thanks much.
Phone is as far to the right as I could get it (see wiper for reference) but points a little to the left to get a more centered view. Cellphones have a wide enough field of view that it doesnt seem to matter at all. The more annoying issue was trying to get it perfectly horizontal but at some point I just gave up

I'm using Race Chrono Pro on a Nexus 5X.

http://www.rahulnair.net/blog
06 Elise
16 Dodge Charger Hellcat
02 Dodge Viper GTS
13 Evora S IPS (sold)
02 WCM Ultralite (sold)
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 01:55 PM

I use the phone holder I bought from RLS a few years ago. Modified it to fit the new phones as time passed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
XHILR8N! likes this.

Richard 2006 Elise
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

More than anything, mounting location tips would be helpful. As in: People who use the phone to record video, where and how do you mount? (Though even that may be moot: I already have a compatible GoPro, and I'll get an external GPS. So I imagine in this scenario, I could have the phone mounted anywhere I like.)

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 02:32 PM

I put mine on the passenger's side of the wind shield. However, since you are using external video and GPS, it makes no difference where you put it. You could tape it in the glove tray. You could put it in your pocket. Its a power hog, you will want to plug it in.

Get a bluetooth ODB2 adapter and Harry's will record that data also.

Howard
2005 Elise AP LSS hardtop
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hroundy View Post
I put mine on the passenger's side of the wind shield. However, since you are using external video and GPS, it makes no difference where you put it. You could tape it in the glove tray. You could put it in your pocket. Its a power hog, you will want to plug it in.

Get a bluetooth ODB2 adapter and Harry's will record that data also.
Yeah, I was wondering about OBDII -- what data does it actually pull? Also, does the app give you a variety of visual themes/designs for the gauges?

As for power, I can't get anything to actually stay in the 12V port anymore. But it looks like I'll be using a Samsung GS6 for this, and at least that has quick-charging. Also, it looks like the imminent version 20 of Harry's will allow the user to turn off local (phone) video recording. I would imagine this will help save power as well.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 02:56 PM

I have a windshield mounted via suction cup phone/mp3 holder that I mount on the lower center of the glass when I track the car. MotorLap and Track Addict are apps worth looking into as well.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 04:48 PM
Addict

Garage
Here are a couple of quick pics of how I mounted the phone to the speaker delete. I don't think this would work if you wanted to also use the phone to take video, it also makes it almost impossible to touch the phone once harnessed in.
Attached Images

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPawn View Post
Here are a couple of quick pics of how I mounted the phone to the speaker delete. I don't think this would work if you wanted to also use the phone to take video, it also makes it almost impossible to touch the phone once harnessed in.
Thanks for the pics! But I think I want to keep the speaker.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 06:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by richthom View Post
I use the phone holder I bought from RLS a few years ago. Modified it to fit the new phones as time passed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Same here. And use phone to check and control the separate camera (such as gopro) as well as Harrys Timer

Anyone can make something complicated. It takes genius to make it simple. Einstein.
2011 Evora S Racing Heritage Edition (#3 of 4) (Now with alexsharkeyross)
2005 Elise LRG, track prepped ,
1974 Lotus Europa Special 3841R in JPS livery
2007 Toyota Tundra (about 10 cup holders), traded for 2015 Tundra TRD PRO
2007 Audi S4 DTM (RIP) 1980 Rover SD1 (new home) 2015 Honda Civic Si
2016 370Z Nismo
2013 Bentley Continental GT Speed 2019 Lexus LC500
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 02:16 PM

Garage
Get the ram mount. I've been using it off-road for about 3 months now and it's great!
I've adapted it to my cup holder invention and it works perfectly on my tablet.
Attached Images

2011 Lotus Evora N/A Quartz Silver
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonOrangeElise View Post
Yeah, I was wondering about OBDII -- what data does it actually pull? Also, does the app give you a variety of visual themes/designs for the gauges?

As for power, I can't get anything to actually stay in the 12V port anymore. But it looks like I'll be using a Samsung GS6 for this, and at least that has quick-charging. Also, it looks like the imminent version 20 of Harry's will allow the user to turn off local (phone) video recording. I would imagine this will help save power as well.
According to Harry's current documentation:

Currently, the following data is supported and recorded like all other sensor data is:

✦Wheel speed (replaces all Speed displays except 'Speed' in GPS View)

✦Engine RPM

✦Vehicle Identification Number (VIN - is associated with a Vehicle)

✦Fuel Level (percentage)

✦Current Voltage of electric system

✦Coolant and Oil temperature

✦Throttle position (percentage)

✦Gear (calculated from RPM and speed)

✦Mass Air Flow (MAF)

✦Manifold Air Pressure (MAP)

✦Intake Air Temperature

In addition to this values delivered directly, LapTimer derives some values:

✦Current fuel consumption (pretty accurate for vehicles running petrol engines)

✦Power developed by engine (imprecise)

✦Torque developed by engine (imprecise)

Howard
2005 Elise AP LSS hardtop
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 05:22 PM

I use the ram mount on my dash but I also have a mount for the harness bar. Can't remember where I got the mount from but it usually works fairly well. I prefer this view rather than the dash view. Wind noise is louder here and it takes a little patience to set up, but it works with the phones internal GPS in this location.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-19-2016, 12:07 PM

Garage
my clubs require anything to be tethered down. I just keep my phone and external bluetooth GPS unit in my jacket/vest pockets zipped up

Lotus Elise '05 Graphite Grey; Miles: 41,xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Track and Technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in