Will a SA2005 bought today be good 10 years? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 05:48 AM Thread Starter

Will a SA2005 bought today be good 10 years?

I want to buy a new helmet (http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45949) but I was wondering if I buy today, will a SA2005 be good up to 2017?

Does anybody know?

2003 911 Turbo X50
2006 Lotus Elise VF2 and Reverie wings, 300hp and 300lbs of DF! Sold!
BMWCCA Instructor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 06:17 AM
rnr

http://www.rahulnair.net/blog
06 Elise
16 Dodge Charger Hellcat
02 Dodge Viper GTS
13 Evora S IPS (sold)
02 WCM Ultralite (sold)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 06:22 AM

doesn't it depend on the sanctioning body? some may accept only the current standard while others may grandfather the previous for X years.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 06:27 AM

I won't say all, but I haven't met a group that doesn't accept the last 2 Snell cycles. In fact, I think I read somewhere that the 05 spec didn't change at all from the 00 spec. The 05 will be good for a year or 2 after the 15 spec comes out because the 15 spec helmets will take awhile to get in the market.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobuffs View Post
I won't say all, but I haven't met a group that doesn't accept the last 2 Snell cycles. In fact, I think I read somewhere that the 05 spec didn't change at all from the 00 spec. The 05 will be good for a year or 2 after the 15 spec comes out because the 15 spec helmets will take awhile to get in the market.
i'll bet PCA and maybe even BMWCCA don't accept the old standard. those are my two usuals suspects for bleeding edge safety requirements.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 06:53 AM Thread Starter

Ok thanks. Well I guess a 8year old helmet would need replacing in 2015 anyway.

And I'm gonna need a lihtweight and aerodynamic helmet for next season because I'm driving a full season of F2000.

I just hoped the helmet would last for ten whole years...

2003 911 Turbo X50
BMWCCA Instructor
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 07:08 AM
Moderator Extraordinaire!

Your 05 Snell helmet will most likely be good for two Snell cycles (2015) depending on your sanctioning body, but the helmet itself will probably not be safe by that time. You need to check with the manufacturer of your helmet, but most give a helmet life of 5 years maximum or 1 impact whichever comes first. An impact is classified as anytime the helmet (with or without a head in it) is bounced off or struck by an object even if it leaves no marks or obvious signs of damage to the helmet shell. Banging your helmeted head on the roll cage bar in your car during a spin or dropping the helmet onto the ground by accident are examples of this. The 5 year limit is just the time frame starting from the day of the first use of the helmet. Are the manufacturers just trying to sell more helmets more often? Who knows, but it is your head in that helmet and we generally don't do well with damaged skulls. Also most helmet manufacturers frown on painting a helmet (decals and self adhesive graphics are OK) due to the solvents in the paint possibly reducing the strength of polymers in the helmet shell. A helmet should also be discarded or repaired by the manufacturer if the lining material, foam or chin straps are broken down or frayed with age.
As a result of these statements from the helmet manufacturers, I would say just go ahead and buy the Snell 05 and don't worry about whether it will be good until 2017--you will need a new one by then anyways.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

I will probably buy a new one!

2003 911 Turbo X50
BMWCCA Instructor
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace10 View Post
i'll bet PCA and maybe even BMWCCA don't accept the old standard. those are my two usuals suspects for bleeding edge safety requirements.
My experiences are with BMW and PCA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Track and Technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in