The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

05 light key?

9K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  05 111R 
#1 ·
What does the 05 light key look like? I need to order the proper key blank from BWR. Pics would be great.

Thanks

#5 ·
where would a person find a new bulb? its so tiny!

I am curious about the BWR key. but wish the buttons looked like buttons...based on pics they don't.

#6 ·
What does the 05 light key look like?
Thanks a lot. Is it safe to say that if I don't have this lighted key, I need the other key blank? Thanks.
Not necessarily... I believe that they may have stopped making the lighted key for a while before they changed to the second version/style key.

This was all figured out a couple of years ago. Basically, A key blank for a Miata will work for the "lighted key" style Elise key - except that the Miata key has a long "tip" that needs to be cut off. Having the key made by a locksmith or on an old fashioned key machine is simple, but it can't be done on the new style "automatic" cartridge type of key machines.

Here's a thread that shows the keys and their shapes - note the the "cross section view" shows the hole that the key will slide into.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/keys-key-blanks-free-stuff-19189/#post310440

It also shows the standard key numbers to find a key blank - the X222 key blank is for the old "lighted key".

#7 ·
Last week I got a replacement key for my early 2005 Lotus Elise with a lighted key.

It's a ILCO DWO4RAP for a Hyundai

I went to a real locksmith (you wouldn't believe how many "locksmiths" I called before I found one with a retail store and knowledge to tell me if they had a certain blank in stock).

I asked for the Cole X222 as instructed by Lotus Talk, but the key was narrower than the shallowest groove on my original key. So the guys looked at their stash and came up withy a Hyundai key, ILCO DWO4RAP USA. It has a plastic head, so it looks nicer than the Cole X222. After a bit of back and forth between the car and the shop (I drove to the shop in the Lotus), the key fits and turns nicely in all the locks.

Here's where I went for a key
Dexter Lock Services Inc
3300 N Halsted St
Chicago IL
(773) 935-0008
9-5:30, M-F

Here's a photo of ILCO DWO4RAP

Attachments

#8 ·
That's one heck of a long drive for me, what is wrong with you people, you want to pay $60 for a switchable key? times are tough, $40 :wallbang:

#13 ·
#16 ·
Not much for them to make a spare key if you have the original. I think around 3-5 bucks. Or go to your lotus dealer and have them order one with your key code (they have that info based on your vin number). I got one made recently and it was only around 35 dollars. It might take a couple of weeks to come but it will look just like your original key.

Jose

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.