'06 Lotus Exige headlight attachment point broken - proposed fix - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2014, 06:13 PM

For those of you that have affected this repair by pop-riveting an aluminum "L" bracket to the plastic tower, why did you choose to do this on the "outboard" side of the tower as opposed to the "inboard" side?

Seems to me that it would be easier to do the inboard side, provided there is room for the new bracket on the inboard side.

***UPDATE***

I just spent the better part of a day fabricating aluminum brackets to fix three of my six broken mounting points and reinforce two others. I let the one remaining point ride. What a colossal waste of time. I'm pretty annoyed with the beet farmers (or is it turnip?) in Hethel at the moment.

Anyway, I answered my own question above. The inboard side of the trailing edge mounts / towers might be easier to fabricate, but then you lose some adjustment range for the speed nut. Stick with the outboard side.

Frank Amoroso
Fun with cars

Last edited by Frank Amoroso; 10-14-2014 at 05:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 10:28 AM

05 Lotus Elise Headlamp Repair

My right headlamp popped out. All three mounting points had broken free. Checked the left side since this is a common problem and the covers are very expensive to replace at about $900 each. One mounting point had cracked on the left side.

I 3d scanned the mounting points and designed aluminum mounting brackets that can be used to repair broken plastic or be used to reinforce the plastic before it does break.

Worked great! Have hardware kits available for anyone needing to fix their broken covers or better yet reinforcing them before they break. They will.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGonzo05 View Post
My right headlamp popped out. All three mounting points had broken free. Checked the left side since this is a common problem and the covers are very expensive to replace at about $900 each. One mounting point had cracked on the left side.

I 3d scanned the mounting points and designed aluminum mounting brackets that can be used to repair broken plastic or be used to reinforce the plastic before it does break.

Worked great! Have hardware kits available for anyone needing to fix their broken covers or better yet reinforcing them before they break. They will.

Pictures and pricing details please.

Apexes are a lot like relationships. So tough to get right, so easy to see where they went wrong.

The secret to a long life is ------- not dying.

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 11:08 AM
Arch. Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGonzo05 View Post

"This car is more fun than the entire french air force crashing into a firework factory." - Jeremy Clarkson

2005 BRP ELISE:
Sport Pack, Hard Top, Black Mesh Grills, Cup Air Box, TitanQR, Difflow diffuser, Larini Club Sport Exaust, Rear Panel Delete, RTD Brace w/Nitron Toe Pins, Mono-ball bushings, PRORAD, Reverie CF Side Scoops & CF Splitter, CF door pulls, Odyssey PC680. Filled seams including a custom one piece front paint protection film.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-06-2015, 01:28 PM
glb

I'm interested in photos and the alum bits.

BTW, if you coat the alum with Ivory (no other) soap before heating it, know that when the soap turns black, the alum is now bendable.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:41 PM
2005 Elise 111R Owner

Garage
Had to replace a low beam bulb today and found mine are cracked as well. Actually had to replace 2 bulbs so the whiteness of the light would match.

Tagging on to the thread as it seems the most appropriate. Anyone tried the following options yet?

1) Plastex - seems to be a moldable putty like plastic that hardens and then can be machined. Like with a Dremel tool
2) Hot glue gun - apparently this will bond and hardens but with a bit of flexibility. I have 7mm black glue gun sticks and you create a 'form'. The form should have some vaseline on it so the glue does not stick. Going to give that a try.

Patrick Van Rinsvelt
2005 Lotus Elise 111R Owner
Tauranga, New Zealand
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patvr View Post
Had to replace a low beam bulb today and found mine are cracked as well. Actually had to replace 2 bulbs so the whiteness of the light would match.

Tagging on to the thread as it seems the most appropriate. Anyone tried the following options yet?

1) Plastex - seems to be a moldable putty like plastic that hardens and then can be machined. Like with a Dremel tool
2) Hot glue gun - apparently this will bond and hardens but with a bit of flexibility. I have 7mm black glue gun sticks and you create a 'form'. The form should have some vaseline on it so the glue does not stick. Going to give that a try.
GRP sells a repair kit

https://www.gregsraceparts.com/colle...tab-repair-kit

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 12:00 AM
2005 Elise 111R Owner

Garage
Finally got it done and pretty pleased with the results. Blue tack covered with alum foil and vaseline acts as form work for the post. Put black hot glue on and don't be shy. Let it dry and harden completely then use a hobby knife to trim. Finally a light sanding and there ya go.Attachment 1Name:  IMG_20180817_163004.jpeg
Views: 37
Size:  59.7 KBName:  IMG_20180817_163539.jpeg
Views: 38
Size:  56.7 KB

Sent from my Elephone P7000 using Tapatalk

Patrick Van Rinsvelt
2005 Lotus Elise 111R Owner
Tauranga, New Zealand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in