The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

07 Exige clam removal - stuck clam issue - possible solutions?

4K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  paulhastings 
#1 ·
Hi folks

On this final step and the dreaded front clam stuck issue has risen for me.

After much searching I am not finding a lot of discussion on "how" this gets resolved, just that it is an issue one might face.

Any suggested solutions? Just sliding my hand near the stuck spot doesn't work.

Could heat work? Or heat a tool, like a long, flat, metal cake decorator's spatula? I am of course prioritize keeping the clam perfect through all this.

Any pro tips would be great!

Thanks

#4 ·
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/2007-exige-front-clam-removal-374361/#post5803041

from the link:
I ordered a small bore scope and validated that it was just tape holding on the center of the clam.

After I knew that, I worked the clam, just a little bit at a time back and forth, pulling up gently. Eventually the tape tore, with one part staying on the clam, and the other part staying on the frame support.

That's pretty much it, I just was careful not to try to really pull the thing off cause I didn't want to crack the clam.

I'm not sure if a tool would, but I think something thin and flat could help pry one side off. I would aim for the side of the tape that's attached to the frame and not the clam.. hope that helps.

lt1_fd3s likes this.

#5 ·
Success! My wife obtained a cake decorator spatula from wal mart for $5. Took 5 mins on each side of slowly slipping the spatula between clam and sticky pad and pop! Piece of cake!!

So what is the best thing to use to replace these pads ? Just reuse?

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

#7 ·
Perhaps a correlation with others who have had the issue, my front clam has been off before by a dealer (Lotus Scottsdale) for the oil line fix. Maybe it is something that is added/replaced when a dealer does work under the clam? I dunno...was missing like 25% of the bolts so it wasn't the only oddity I discovered along the way. Have a nice hardware kit ready to replace it all anyway.

#12 ·
I don't know if I mentioned in my AC rework thread, but I stuck the shims together with blue painters tape leaving a 'tab' that you can grab when reinstalling the shims. Tape is of insignificant thickness and keeps the shims together and helps keep them in place when tightening the bolts

#15 ·
I glued the stock ones in place with silicone rubber, super easy and cost nothing plus I used the same stack of shims the car came with. I found this helped with using the BOE hinge kit.

Reactions: VisualEchos
#22 ·
Post a picture of the plug you can't unplug? There is a fairly large plug back to the harness but it has always been easy to remove for me? Can you pick the lights up out of the bucket yet? There are 4? I think that you have to undo.

#26 ·
The bottom left of this pictures is the plug I disconnected for the side marker. Even if I ever get the large main plug disconnected this is still attached to the clam and would prevent from removing the light. For those that have removed the front clam from on 07 Exige S or perhaps later what exactly was required with the lights to remove the clam?
Thanks!

#29 ·
If I'm reading you right you might just need to look more closely at where they are still attached. The harness is odd because of how it branches and how those branches are attached the light fixture in an overcomplicated way. Disconnect all harness plugs. Then scan over the harness and find all the points where it zip-ties to the light or the clam (if removing the clam too). We don't mean like someone found a random spot and zip tied it, we mean there is actually a zip tie clip in use on the light. You will need to cut the oem zip tie, loosen the harness, then use a new zip tie you provide during reinstall. Trick is to find all the places where it is zip tied.

Is that the issue you are having or am I misunderstanding?

#30 ·
I see three very tight zip ties. Two attached to the clam and one at the main harness. This last one seems it can stay in place.
1. As long I disconnect the main wire harness plug (still cannot) then everything else can stay for clam removal, correct?
2. I will need to pull away the headlamp from the clam far enough to reach in and remove the bulb for turn signal, correct?
3. If I want to completely remove the headlamps from the car then unplug main harness and one connector at the top of the light. Cut two zip ties, unplug side marker and detach the other end of the side marker plug from the clam. It's attached and not with a zip tie.

Is this what you did for the clam removal?
Thanks!

#31 ·
Main wire harness plug just needs squeezed the right way. If yours has buildup it might not be releasing and need a flathead screwdriver to help release the lock.

My headlamp removal seemed pretty straightforward. You need to remove the lights for clam removal so you can get a good grip on thick material when lifting the clam from the car.

Iirc the entire headlamp has to be removed to replace the bulbs, or at least to make it easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.