The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

2007 Exige Front Clam Removal

7K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  paulhastings 
#1 ·
Hi all, hoping to find some help/advice. I'm currently removing the front clam on a 2007 Exige and I've followed the numerous write ups and have removed all the fixings on the car... but is seems that the clam is still attached in the middle/front.

In a few write ups they talk about a lip on the clam that connects to a lip on the crash structure, but I'm not seeing this. Also this clam has the bonded wire mesh, which means I'm unable to get my hands under the middle spline of the clam to try and lift it up.

By chance has anyone else run into this issue and any tips of how to get the clam off?

This is the first time taking the clam off for me (replacing the radiator) and I'd like not to crack it or damage the windshield... or anything else that will cost too much to repair. Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
So I got the bolts that hold the spline by the windshield wiper. On this car there's actually a bracket and bolts and nuts that's much easier than the how to's. I can move the spline freely from the windshield side, it feels like it's still secured in front of the radiator, but I can't see or find anything.

Also I've done the head lights, they are the 07+ type that there's 3 18mm nuts and one 8mm nut to remove them. I removed the 5mm hex head from each, unplugged the headlight wires, and the clam moves freely on both sides. Kind of at a loss at this point, but thanks for the double checks. :)

#5 ·
why are the headlights in if not bolted? You need to have them out anyway, they weigh enough and provide a good hand hold

undertray off?

door aperture bolts
wheel arch liners

several harness clips
oil line clips

just did it and don't recall any big issue

watch for the antenna

#8 ·
better pics of all the relevant areas would be more helpful to see if anyone can tell if you forgot something

someone replaced the fans, so it must come off....

#10 ·
Regarding the foam,
Come at it from the wheel wells, you should be able to get your hand next to the center support to see if it is stuck. I am 6'3" and i could get my hand in there....
My clam was loose everywhere and could lift from the sides, front and rear easily. it was just the center area that was stuck. I could see the clam flexing as if it was still attached on the radiator supports when i would try to lift it.

#11 ·
remove headlights and i believe there should be an allen bolt there and did you get the two nuts under the middle spline? If i remember they are 10m and if you don't use a ratchet wrench you will be there for a long time with a very sore back lol

#12 ·
Thanks everyone for all the useful tips and chiming in. I'll attach more photos so show that I did get the bolts under the headlights. I'm not 100% on how to remove the wire plug on the back of them but it looks like the clam can come off with them attached. Also I did disconnect the antenna wire by the windscreen/center spline, and the center spline fixings are removed.

Regarding the center foam, it looks like my only opportunity to try to get in there would be from the drivers side wheel well, but I tried and my hands just not going to fit between the clam and the radiator shroud. Also I don't think I'd have the reach... I did have an endoscope on order that was supposed to be in yesterday, but looks like the carrier might have gave my packages to someone else. So I had to reorder that and maybe once that is in I can get a better look at what's going on with this.

Attachments

#13 ·
You are going to want to completely remove the headlights, make things easier. I had difficulty removing the big connector as it slides onto a mount on the clam, it was hard for me to pinch the release and slide off...
Once the headlight is off you can see a lot more of whats going on.

#15 ·
Ok, so the clams off! Looks like it was the sticky foam in the center that was holding it on...

Now for the actual business of fixing all this coolant that's escaping from the car from somewhere...

Attachments

#18 ·
Don't let the dealer do it. I've heard there's been some failures with the new fittings the dealer installs. Probably bad installation. Plus the stories of dealers doing crappy clam installation, breaking headlight clips, etc...

I'm following the details BOE posted here: Lotus Oil Line Repair ? BOE Fabrication

I just got the fittings, clamps and hose yesterday. Total was just under $175 with shipping. Now I know the dealer can't mess up my car and the fittings will be 10x better than what Lotus provides.

You've done all the hard work by removing the front clam! Now install the correct fittings and sleep good knowing the job was done right.

#19 ·
I'm about to under take this to remedy some of the AC issues. Thanks for writing back with the results of your findings. Often people never bother to report what the solution to their problem was once fixed.

#20 ·
Here is a quick update regarding the tape holding on the front clam:

I didn't use any tools to remove the sticky tape.

Basically, I removed all the fasteners, so the only thing holding the clam on was the tape (which I didn't know at the time).

I ordered a small bore scope and validated that it was just tape holding on the center of the clam.

After I knew that, I worked the clam, just a little bit at a time back and forth, pulling up gently. Eventually the tape tore, with one part staying on the clam, and the other part staying on the frame support.

That's pretty much it, I just was careful not to try to really pull the thing off cause I didn't want to crack the clam.

I'm not sure if a tool would, but I think something thin and flat could help pry one side off. I would aim for the side of the tape that's attached to the frame and not the clam.. hope that helps.

#21 ·
Almost done with all the sandsmuseum steps for clam removal on my 2007 Exige S. It says to remove the headlight covers. Am I missing something here or did the factory forget this part on my car? Also stumped on next step as I'v see the lights stay on the clam for removal so wondering which items need disconnecting. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

#22 ·
i think the models prior to 07 were not sealed units, ie multipiece. Yours are single piece headlights. just remove the plugs and fasteners and the headlights will come out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.