The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Aging Front Caliper

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  David Craig 
#1 ·
My car felt like one of the front brakes was rubbing now and then while I was driving.

A friend told me to test which wheel was hotter. The driver front wheel was definitely hotter than the other side after driving.

I took off the caliper and had a look. In the pictures you can see that there is what looks like a strip of tape glued to each side of the caliper. One side had a tear and was bunching up. I cut off the defective area and the brakes don't seem to drag nearly as much. However I do sense that there is still a bit of drag from time to time. I also noticed that that wheel is still a bit hotter than the other side after driving, but nothing too shocking.

My question is, how important is that tape? Can I replace it with a new piece? If so where could I buy it?

Also, if I did decide to buy a new caliper at some point I noticed that the list price for a new one is more than $1000. Does anyone have an old one in good shape that they might wish to sell for a lot less than that?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks!

Actually that kit does not look too expensive. I'm surprised to see pistons in the kit. I didn't know those could be replaced separately.

How hard would it be to replace the pistons? Do you need special tools or knowledge?

#8 ·
rebuilds are not difficult. the hardest part would be getting out the pistons but that is easily done with some preparation.

You could do as LostPawn suggested, when I did mine I just pumped the brakes while there was nothing in the caliper to get the pistons to come out a bit. Be careful doing that though, if you pump too much you'll pop the piston out completely and get brake fluid everywhere.

#12 ·
Recently I felt like there was some dragging on the front brakes. I tried to clean up the front calipers the best I could but that didn't help. After a while I let the dealer give it a shot.

They cleaned up the front brakes nicely and there is no rubbing any more. I've removed most if not all of those pads ("Anti Rattle Brake Pad buffers").

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.