The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Air Bag Light fix?

35K views 68 replies 33 participants last post by  JBanks 
#1 ·
ok not sure if im in the correct forum for this

2007 elise i replaced air bags and pretensioners as well as clock sping and main srs control module due to prior deployment
of course all used stuff
the air bag light stays on !
do i need to have it reset in the ecu? or do i possible have something bad?
simple scanner of course does not pull any dtc codes
suggestions please
thanks
tom

#3 ·
I gave up and put a piece of black tape over the light (no air bags, track car). If ambitious would pull the instrument cluster and kill the wire to the bulb I guess.

I thought it took a dealer to reset these.

#5 ·
Doesn't the resistor have to be in place before the electricals are activated again, lest it trip the light? That is, has this approach worked after the fact?

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello guys ,

I successfully reset the airbag light using op-com tool:

NEW OP-COM Vauxhall OPEL OBD2 Interface Code Reader Scanner Scan Tool | eBay

You can find lots of this on eBay ....

The airbag ecu is same from vx220 , you have to select as model vauxhall astra and reset all error in The airbag ecu(total different from engine ecu)
Even if error has been resolved The light don't go down itself, it need to be resetted

Here The procedure:

#17 ·
OPCOM 2010 diagnostic tool for Opel cars - airbag reset?

Hello guys ,

I successfully reset the airbag light using op-com tool:

NEW OP-COM Vauxhall OPEL OBD2 Interface Code Reader Scanner Scan Tool | eBay

You can find lots of this on eBay ....

The airbag ecu is same from vx220 , you have to select as model vauxhall astra and reset all error in The airbag ecu(total different from engine ecu)
Even if error has been resolved The light don't go down itself, it need to be resetted

Here The procedure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WhgkQYOCd8
Removed the airbag and trim ring to resurface it and it looks great. Unfortunately, I started the car to move it when the airbag was out so I have a permanent airbag light. The tool listed above is not available but found this one for all Opal products. Can I get an opinion if this one will work? Has anyone tried it?

Amazon.com: E-BEST®op-com Diagnostic Interface Code Scanner for All Opel Cars: Automotive

#10 ·
2007 elise air bag light

thanks for all the feed back
the srs or air bag control modlue i installed was good with no fault codes in it i also used the airbags from the same car and replaced the deploied ones in my car. on most vehicles if the srs system fault is corrected the light will go out
not sure if lotus is the same?
of course my cheep obd scanner shows no dtcs
i do have vag software but figured it wount work german/english cars.
is the a trouble code that needs to be reset in the engine or main ecu once air bags have been deployed ?

#12 ·
just to add info's also my odb reader ( d900) doesnt show anything as error is strored in the airbag ecu and not in engine Ecu. As airbag ecu is GM/siemens part vag software doesn't work, i have resolved it selecting Vauxhall astra 2004 model on opcom interface.
In my case the problem was the airbag squib that seems loose contact on road bump.
Resetted the error with opcom and light goes away and never come back on

#23 ·
Can't believe this worked for clearing my airbag light, but it did! Thanks Giorgio80!

#13 ·
Thanks Giorgio80! I ordered the Op-com system off of ebay ($20) and besides having a little trouble withe the software install (the software came on a mini-cd and my laptop has a slot optical drive) everything worked perfectly. I no longer have to stare at that stupid airbag light!

Thanks!

#22 ·
Thanks for posting this. I bought the Op-com thing and it let me know that I had knocked an airbag wire loose while installing a new stereo. (I had previously installed an airbag cutoff switch, so some of the wires were connected with spade connectors). I re-connected it, cleared the code, and all is well again.

Thanks,
Chris

#26 ·
Worked for me this weekend. Dipped my airbag cover and the light was on afterward. Removed it again and made sure the connection was clean and well seated. Picked up the scanner on Ebay for $17. At that price it's probably worth getting just to keep in the toolbox even if you don't have this issue (yet).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/V1-45-STO0...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I was having trouble with the software drivers as well so I downloaded them from this link, but then used the software from the mini CD that was included with the scan tool to run the diagnostics.

Opel Diagnostics - OPCOM V1.45 Setup & Installation: 5 Steps

#27 ·
Yeah I used the Autel MaxiLink ML619 CAN OBD2 Scanner Code Reader +ABS/SRS Diagnostic Scan Tool with the Vauxhall / vx220 to clear the SRS light.

"It cleared the driver set belt too taught" error. Both airbag removed and 2.2 ohm resistors shoved into the connectors. I suppose I could delete the tensioners now.

If not for Lotustalk I'd not figured this out.

#29 · (Edited)
Quick update for all future people with the same problem. The OPCOM device worked. The hardest thing was getting the drivers updated before I could get the port to recognize and interface with the ECU. I also still happened to have an old laptop with XP on it collecting dust. Everything needed is on the CD, you just have to manually install the drivers since there is no .exe file for the drivers. Otherwise, the process is as follows:
1. Plug the device into the USB with the newly installed driver.
2. Fire up the OP-COM software.
3. Select 2004 --> Astra-G --> Body --> Airbag
4. Turn the Ignition to "On" (The engine does not need to be running however)
5. The device should now be recognized, and select "Fault Codes"
6. Select Clear Codes
You should then be good to go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.