The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Air Bag Light fix?

35K views 68 replies 33 participants last post by  JBanks 
#1 ·
ok not sure if im in the correct forum for this

2007 elise i replaced air bags and pretensioners as well as clock sping and main srs control module due to prior deployment
of course all used stuff
the air bag light stays on !
do i need to have it reset in the ecu? or do i possible have something bad?
simple scanner of course does not pull any dtc codes
suggestions please
thanks
tom

#30 ·
Installing the Op-COM device drivers

I was able to run the Op-COM software under Win10. The only issue is the device drivers are not digitally signed so you can't simply install them off the CD. I had to reboot Win10 with driver signing (temporarily) disabled, follow the instructions here: https://in.answers.acer.com/app/ans...windows-10:-disable-signed-driver-enforcement

Once the Op-COM device driver is installed I was able to follow the instructions above to check the air-bag system (no current faults) and clear the stored fault codes.

In my case the fault code had been set when the previous owner changed the steering wheel to a quick release wheel with no air-bag. I put the original steering wheel and airbag back in the car and once the fault codes were cleared the air-bag tell-tale stays off..

#34 ·
I was able to run the Op-COM software under Win10. The only issue is the device drivers are not digitally signed so you can't simply install them off the CD. I had to reboot Win10 with driver signing (temporarily) disabled, follow the instructions here: https://in.answers.acer.com/app/ans...windows-10:-disable-signed-driver-enforcement

Once the Op-COM device driver is installed I was able to follow the instructions above to check the air-bag system (no current faults) and clear the stored fault codes.

In my case the fault code had been set when the previous owner changed the steering wheel to a quick release wheel with no air-bag. I put the original steering wheel and airbag back in the car and once the fault codes were cleared the air-bag tell-tale stays off..
This just worked for me as well on a Win10 laptop. My son came back from college to load the driver. I told him he would have to take a semester off if he "bricked" the car;}

#39 ·
Airbag light came on a couple weeks ago. Tried various scanners and nothing worked. Bought the OPCOM from Amazon and tried to use the software on the op-com.hu website. I found out after several attempts to activate (and several versions of software), that these are chinese copies without serial numbers.

I did finally find software that worked and I was able to read my code (airbag pretensioner), fix the issue, and clear the code. Here are the links to the OPCOM and software for future reference.

OPCOM on Amazon: [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SC71ZC2/[/ame]
Software: Free download OPCOM Vaux-COM 120309a OP-COM FW 1.70 1.65 |Car Diagnostic Software

Hopefully this saves someone sometime. The steps mentioned earlier worked for me

1) Diagnostic
2) 2004 -> Astra-G
3) Body -> Airbag
4) Fault codes
5) Clear codes

#40 ·
The OP-COM diagnostic tool worked for me as well to help diagnose a problem with my airbag on/off switch install, and clear the airbag dash light. This thread is very helpful!

I bought this one, since it was the only one available with Amazon Prime 2-day shipping (all the others I saw on Amazon or eBay shipped from China), and none of the links above were still valid:

The software on the CD worked, and I installed it on an old laptop (with a DVD drive!), running windows 10. I was able to install the drivers without any issues (besides windows warning me that installing unsigned drivers is a security risk). I was glad that I still had that old computer, because I wouldn’t want to install clone software and unsigned drivers on a computer that was going on my network.

#42 ·
Too bad that OP-COM is not available any more. Do you think that others will work too? I'm a little concerned with what I connect up to the OBD II, don't want to fry my ECU. Has anyone successfully used any other OP-COM tools lately?

#46 ·
Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, only the dealer can reset the airbag light or maybe you can use what is mentioned earlier in this article with a borrowed PC.
I would be more concerned with finding why the light came on while you were driving. Most people have the airbag light issue because they were taking something apart and forgot to disconnect the battery. Your situation sounds like a loose connector or ground.

#47 ·
ya, for sure. That's why I wanted the scanner to see if it could give me a clue. But if only the dealer can reset it, how would I know if I fixed it? Im I right to assume that there's two different scanners - the Opcom and a separate OBDII? or is it just that that OPCOM knock-off is the only one that'll reset it like the dealer?

#50 ·
Best of luck and tell me how it goes!

#59 ·
Thanks all of you for contributing to this string. Now that the WX here in the Great PNW is turning to the good; I'll bring Tallulah out of my garage "storage", update insurance and tackle the air bag light with your contributions.

Happy motoring guys! Thanks again to all of you.

Murf

#61 ·
While rebuilding the car got the Airbag light, ordered the Autel MaxiLink ML619. Reset the light, sharing this information is just the best.
Did you need to to select a vehicle to do this? Was Lotus an option or did you select another vehicle type?

#62 ·
I am very interested too. I went through the nightmare of using the Windows XP era foreign software a few months ago and never want to do that again if possible.

Horse Vehicle Car Tire Vehicle registration plate

Reactions: quattro574
#63 ·
XP?..........loved it but didn't know anything was still left working on it unless it was small potatoes. Kind of like Ford using 80 column card punch to create serial number stampings still before the local plant closed.

• Haha
Reactions: RapidLotus
#66 ·
For another car, I am currently changing to a new ECU since the software to tune the old one can only run on Windows 98 - so i had to keep a laptop just for that. It is worth the pain of reverse engineering a home-built wiring harness with no documentation to update to something that runs on Windows 10, at least.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.