The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Bad Alternator

21K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  fzust 
#1 ·
My Elise is out of warranty now (I've had it 3 years), the alternator isn't charging the battery and LOA says it's 1700 to replace, isn't this a $200 part?

#33 ·
I put my finger on the part that faces car left and my thumb on on the part that faces car right and squeezed as hard as I can. Then a straight put towards the front of the car and it slid out easily.

Hint: When putting the alternator back in, put a loop of strong string through the top ear. This makes it easiy to hold up the weight of the alternator by pulling up on the strng loop with your right hand whilst you coax the double ears on the bottom around the ear on the block and slide in the bottom bolt. Then you can cut the string out and swing the top ear back and start that top bolt.

#34 ·
2005 Celica GTS uses the same alternator. This is not a huge job. Alt is right on top and reasonably accessible in the Elise. Even If I had little to no skill, I would do this myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.