The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

CEL Code P0133 & Poor idle - Resolved

4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  cyow5 
#1 · (Edited)
The super short version:

My Exige had the stalling out at stoplights when warm issue.
It also had very frequent CEL- always P0133 as well. (Made trying to smog it no fun.)

The solution to both issues:
Turns out the Pre & Post O2 sensors were plugged into the wrong connectors on the harness! They had been swapped. (Easy to do; identical connectors right next to each other.)

The easy way to check for this:
Remove the windshield washer reservoir from the engine compartment. This is pretty easy, first gently pull the pump straight up and out of the side of the reservior and set aside. Then you can pull the tank straight up and out. This gives you direct access from above to the O2 sensor connectors.
Just before the harness enters the connectors, the wires are exposed, and you can see the actual wire colors. Now pick a connector, note the wire colors, and follow the wire through the bulkhead to the exhaust- you want to see if it goes to the sensor before or after the catalytic converter. (On my car this is easy, since I don't have the rear trim panel.)
The post-cat O2 sensor should be plugged into the connector with the purple & blue stripe wire:

I hope this helps speed up other troubleshooting efforts-

See less See more
#5 ·
Worthy bump - I actually started getting these symptoms around the time this thread was made, but I didn't see it. Then I began what became a four-year restoration. Now that I finally got the car roadworthy, I was able to look back into the hunting idle and started by searching LT. First result when typing "site:lotustalk.com P0133" was this thread, and it was spot on. Swapped the wires, and everything seems good to go! I must've mixed them up when doing my exhaust in '18 (maybe even '17?) and assumed it couldn't be swapped sensors since it ran fine except for idle. Feels like I should respond to this post that would've helped me four years ago, haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.