The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Code P0507: possible causes?

28K views 27 replies 19 participants last post by  DrSleep 
#1 ·
P0507 Idle Air Control System RPM Higher Than Expected
on a 05 elise.
what can set this code off?possible fixes?

#3 · (Edited)
I always get this 0507 :wallbang:

Do you think this has something to do with the ITG filter?
I bought the car with this setup and I had no Mil for 8000 miles and now I can't drive more than 100 miles without this anoying orange light turning on on my stack...

I already cleaned the MAF, the buterfly and the IAC, both were dusty and the IAC is no turning smoothly as a new one (stil some tiny rought spots while turning it with my fingers)

Any ideas?

Thanx

#4 ·
I just got this code today. First, what's an IAC? Sorry if its a dumb question, I'm an old man that spent the last 12 years driving a '66 Jaguar E-type.

What are appropriate actions to take?

#6 ·
Thanks Mr. Know, now can anybody tell me WHY IN THE HELL LotusGarage wants $504.78 for this part???? Is it a Toyota part?

Before replacing this part is there any other action I should take?

#7 ·
Please figure this out, I'm getting it too.

#9 ·
I changed the IAC and guess what? The MIL stil light after a 20 min ride...

A friend of mine had the same trouble, he changed the throttle body (but still has the old IAV) and now he has a normal idle (800 rpm instead of 1200+ )

We both have aftermarket induction on our NA Exiges, and everything inside the induction (maf, butterfly...) gets quite dusty, I think that's what cause the wear of the butterfly and then the high rpm idle.

I hope this will help.

Simon

#11 ·
any solutions anyone

I have this code after a VF2 install........cleaned the MAF...cleaned the throttle body, changed throttle body gasket....checked for leaks, no leaks so :confused:....no avail same code pops up.......bought a used throttle body ( hasn't arrived yet) and maybe that will solve my issue will keep you guys posted......

#12 ·
Replace throttle body

same problems..............ready to sell this POS!!!:mad:

#13 ·
Any resolutions out there?

#15 ·
I just got this after replacing my leaking throttle body. Yea, the coolant gasket on the bottom can leak. Lots of fun.

Anyway, I did two things. I took off the ACV and sprayed some teflon spray lube into the valve. Then I adjusted the little screw thingy the throttle cable/bracket rests on at idle. There is a 8mm nut on the bottom that needs loosening, but then the screw can be turned down, lowering the throttle. I found out through trial and error, and having a throttle position sensor to watch helps, that it needs to be as low as possible. Play with it and you'll figure out where to set it so it is as low as possible. Too low and the throttle cable won't actually rest on it and the engine will stall.

For the sensor, just about 11.5% throttle was my magic number. CEL actually went away by itself.

#18 ·
Just got a similar problem and what I've done so far was clean the MAF, throttle body, check for vacuum leaks. The strange is the car runs normal as it can be, the idle not high at all (at 825 rpm) and the code will pop after about 3-4 miles driving. It doesn't give pending code first, just hard code right away.

From the live data scanner throttle opening is 11.2% (idle), and I checked other Lotus, it's just exactly the same. So the TPS should be in the right position.

Any idea how to approach how to fix the problem? Thanks.

#19 ·
The strange is the car runs normal as it can be, the idle not high at all (at 825 rpm) and the code will pop after about 3-4 miles driving....From the live data scanner throttle opening is 11.2% (idle)
I'm seeing the same P0507 here as well. my TPS at idle is at 11.4%.

I've been running a log on mine and found that while the car is in motion, in neutral and foot off the gas; the TPS will be at 11.4% and the RPMs are up at 1100ish. when i come to a stop, the TPS will be at 11.4% and the RPMs are at 850ish.

anyone else with this issue notice an idle RPM difference while the car is moving vs at rest?

#21 ·
Same problem here. Getting P0507.
Idle RPM is about 1000 when cold and rises to between 1150 to 1250 when the engine is at operating temperature. Checked for vacuum leaks by visually inspecting the hoses and with engine starter fluid spray (looking for a change in RPM) around throttle body. Couldn't find any obvious leaks and no reaction to the starter fluid spray. Cleaned the MAF sensor, air intake and air-filter as well (what a way to get acquainted with a new to me car ). After putting everything back together, no change in idle speed (still the same) and the CEL came back after two drive cycles. Any pointers about what to check / do next, would be appreciated.

#23 ·
Just started getting this, will be checking the IACV 1st, and hoping that's it.

Anyone know if you can hear the valve operate with key on/off? I just replaced one on another of our cars a few months ago, and I think another test was a resistance check across the terminals (don't remember for sure now).

#24 ·
As everyone said, it is most likely a gunned up IAC or a sloppy throttle. Other causes like a vacuum leak should be looked at, too, but less likely. A sloppy throttle is the easiest to diagnose - push axis of the throttle towards the rear of the car. If this causes the idle to drop, sloppy throttle. Otherwise, could be a dirty IAC. I also had bad IAC wiring because it can make a tight bend in the harness right there, FYI

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#27 ·
That's probably the slop I was referring to. The blade gets to where it wanders just enough to hang up a little on the bore. I found that a quick blip allows it to shut with enough force to cure it until I replaced the throttle with a used one that wasn't showing the symptoms as bad. As if the car wasn't shouty enough, I wasn't such a fan of revving it up every time I came to a stop, haha

#28 ·
I had the CEL come on during a track day yesterday, prior to that session I had put 4 gallons of unleaded 101 octane in. That was the only unleaded fuel sold at the track and I didn't have time to go to a gas station off property. After the session I noticed the light had come on and checked the code. We stopped for lunch and I filled the rest of the tank with 91 octane and when I restarted the car the CEL went off.

I don't know if this was all coincidence or not, but thought i would add it incase other people were using higher octane fuels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.