Door Handle Malfunction - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Genjuro
Yikes! Does this mean if the vehicle is in an accident (where power is lost) and the door was locked from the inside that you couldn't get out of the car? I know that the door handle doesn't do crap if the locks are engaged.
Umm couldn't you just lift the pin
FWIW, I read the manual and realized that the door manual locks a completely redundant so I don't intend to ever use them

2006 Exige Chrome Orange
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TimMullen
I tend to leave convertibles unlocked so that the thief's don't cut up the tops to break in and find there is nothing in there to steal anyway...
I was thinking the same, until I noticed (from a restaurant booth) that some people will actually try the door to check inside! They're taking pictures and stuff, so I fully expect they would have seated themselves like some kind of showroom.

They didn't seem the type to go slashing the roof, so I have to think the locks were useful there. Some people just have no sense of property or courtesy.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by adamant
You mean you can pull up on that little tab?! Actually, I tried to pull up on it the other day and I couldn't get it to come up. I didn't really try to hard, and I didn't have any fingernails that day.

I'm used to my BMW's which always unlock the door on the first pull, then open the door on the second.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 03:08 PM
insert clever title here

Quote:
Originally posted by adamant
TRY IT!!! I did, and thought I was going to break something so I stopped and decided to ask my service dept. about it.

I usually prefer to drive around with my doors locked, but as long as I don't do that in the Elise I don't see this every being a problem. Could be a nice anti-theft technique, if nothing else.

'05 Elise, Magnetic Blue / Biscuit / Hardtop
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MattG
TRY IT!!! I did, and thought I was going to break something so I stopped and decided to ask my service dept. about it.
Glad someone else experienced this as well....
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 03:11 AM

You could also use this feature to lock the doors while you are away, and prevent any other family members from driving the car. Unless, of course, they knew the secret. So, shhhhh.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 05:55 PM

How to fix a 2005 Elise door button disconnect

2005 Elise driver’s side exterior door button not working: how to fix it

Hey all, I wanted to share a quick fix for this problem I had. One day, the exterior door button worked fine, the next day, I went to press it to open the door and it wouldn’t work. This issue was with the exterior door button; all of the locks were working fine. Mine was not a CDL problem.

The fob could unlock/lock fine, but when I tried to open the door, the silver door button seemed disengaged. The interior lock button worked fine to lock/unlock the doors. I could reach inside and open the door, using the interior door latch. The only way I could get into my car was to use the key fob to unlock both doors and then open the passenger side door, climb in, reach across to the driver’s side door, and open it using the interior door handle. Not an elegant way to get in to drive.

It turns out that when I inserted my key to open the door on the previous day, the mechanism in the cylinder became misaligned with the white rocker arm that sits atop the rod assembly. To fix it, you will only need two tools: a Phillips head screwdriver and a thin blade for prying. A flashlight always helps.

1) Open the door
2) Unscrew the red reflector with the Phillips head screwdriver
3) Using a thin blade, gently pry out a section of the black plastic disc. Note: it is glued to a metal support bar. Once you pry off a section, you can gently lift the whole thing out. Make sure to keep as much of the glue intact on one surface, whether it be the silver support bar or the black disk.
4) Shine a light into the hole. Look for the dark cylinder that pops out when you press the silver door button. There is a flange on this cylinder that should line up with the white rocker arm below. You may need to put in your finger to feel for it, if it is turned away from you. If you see the flange in any position but 6 o’clock, this is the problem to fix, because it is missing contact with the rocker arm.
5) To align the flange, insert your key and turn it until the flange is facing downward (6 o’clock position). You may need to press the white rocker arm toward the interior of the car, to give the cylinder enough room to rotate. At this point, it should engage the white rocker arm, when the exterior door button is pressed.
6) Test your work to see if it is operating properly by shutting the door and opening it again, pressing the silver exterior door button.
7) Reattach the black backing to the reflector, lining up the glued areas properly.
8) Screw in the red reflector.
9) Pat yourself on your back and never use your key again to open the door!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in