Door Hinge Spring - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Door Hinge Spring

Anybody have one of these pop out? Mine did on the driver's side a couple of days ago. It's still in there, but the door flaps around freely when open.

It looks very difficult to access....Hoping that the front clam doesn't have to come off.

Former owner of the great car in my avatar, now with a great new owner: 2006 Elise BRG sport, steel brake lines, RTDbrace, hardtop, black powder-coated wheels, Katana (finally working!), Moroso pan, BOE fuel kit, boost & oil pressure gauges, Blackwatch gauge bracket, Tillet seats, Schroth 6-points, Braille, Xtender, Dunlop Star Spec 205/50, 235/45 street , Rotas w/R888s track
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 02:28 PM

I did on mine, i reinstalled it by removing just the Door hinge cover ( the part with the turn signal) Its held on by 3 bolts one accessed through the fender well, one by reaching in over hinge and last in door threshold under the black plastic cover. All 10mm and a thin ratcheting wrench makes this go pretty quick.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 04:54 PM

I can't be sure from your description exactly what your problem is, but here is my experience. I hope it helps.

Last year on my car, one of the two bolts that holds the left door check spring in place came loose, jammed against the hinge, and actually tried to jam the door in a closed position. I pushed a bit harder, and the bolt snapped and fell out. I took off the left front wheel and wheel liner, and found the other bolt was very loose as well. I replaced the broken bolt, and tightened both down properly. While both my driver's side door bolts were loose, the passenger side was fine. (One of many factory assembly errors I have found.)

The bolts, washers and nuts can be seen in the attached figure. See parts 10, 11 and 12 (only one bolt is shown, but there are two). Replacing the bolt took a little creativity because it is hard to access the hole from the proper side (it is down in the hinge structure). I held the bolt with a thin telescoping magnet tool, lowered it down into place from the top, and gently poked its tip through the hole. I then pulled it through and put the nut on. You can get a box end wrench into the space in the hinge to hold the bolt head while tightening the nyloc nut on the outside.

By-the-way, there is a metal cover (part 29) on the front of the hinge that is simply pressed over the nuts (part 12). The nuts don't actually hold it down. You can just pull this cover off to check the nut tightness, and then press it back on. I wouldn't turn the nut with the cover on because it might enlarge the holes.

While you are working in the area, make sure every bolt and nut you can reach is tight.
Attached Images

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you, rapsquared and ChrisH, I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Former owner of the great car in my avatar, now with a great new owner: 2006 Elise BRG sport, steel brake lines, RTDbrace, hardtop, black powder-coated wheels, Katana (finally working!), Moroso pan, BOE fuel kit, boost & oil pressure gauges, Blackwatch gauge bracket, Tillet seats, Schroth 6-points, Braille, Xtender, Dunlop Star Spec 205/50, 235/45 street , Rotas w/R888s track
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viacondotti View Post
Anybody have one of these pop out? Mine did on the driver's side a couple of days ago. It's still in there, but the door flaps around freely when open.

It looks very difficult to access....Hoping that the front clam doesn't have to come off.
Mine just did the same thing on Friday, but when I opened the door the plastic cover crushed the side marker light...ugh. I'm working on removing that panel, and using sands museum pics to help with the removal.
Lotus Elise Maintenance, How to Remove the Front Clam

If I find a thread on taking off the lower body panel, I'll post the link here.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 07:21 AM

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 07:49 AM

okay, the two bolts holding the plastic cover and three more pieces fell out and it was the noise of everything falling that I thought was breaking glass...
I've taken out the plastic cover and three other attachments, and I don't see how they were bolted in there in the first place (bolts are missing). Anyone know what size the bolts are (they hold the plastic cover over the door hinge)?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montereyrob View Post
okay, the two bolts holding the plastic cover and three more pieces fell out and it was the noise of everything falling that I thought was breaking glass...
I've taken out the plastic cover and three other attachments, and I don't see how they were bolted in there in the first place (bolts are missing). Anyone know what size the bolts are (they hold the plastic cover over the door hinge)?
I don't know what the "plastic cover" is. If you mean part #29 in the figure in post 3, the cover isn't bolted down (at least, not in my 2005 car). It is a press fit (see description in post 3). It would help if you could reference the part numbers in the figure when describing your situation.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
I don't know what the "plastic cover" is. If you mean part #29 in the figure in post 3, the cover isn't bolted down (at least, not in my 2005 car). It is a press fit (see description in post 3). It would help if you could reference the part numbers in the figure when describing your situation.
Good point. Parts 11, 13, 14, 25, and 29 are now sitting on the garage floor. Somehow parts 10 and 12 have disappeared. I now realize parts 13/14/25 hold the door open, and they did a ****ty job at that so for now they'll remain in the box of Lotus "extras" with the sun visors.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viacondotti View Post
Thanks to both of you, rapsquared and ChrisH, I'll give it a go tomorrow.
Fishing the new bolts into the hinge cavity is the interesting part of this job. I used two lengths of string fed trough the bolt holes from the front then super glued to the bolt end ( not getting any glue on the threads ) pulling the string the bolt and washer up through the hinge cavity and into the hole from behind. A little Houdini-ish but it works.

LZ LoLo survivor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in