Elige Velcro Headlamp lens to housing? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RichardNHCooper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Elige Velcro Headlamp lens to housing?

I'm doing maintenance on my headlight housings - separating the lens covers from the housings to clean out the gunk and fog. I'm worried that since these units don't have good seals, that I'll be in the same position a year later. I don't see anything that prevents moisture buildup anywhere.

So I was wondering - let's say I epoxy velcro strips(on the entire perimeter) to the housing and lens cover. Can I rely on velcro to hold lens covers in place? At track speeds?

Can't decide if this is a terrible idea or a great one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 01:35 PM
Less is Better

I can't think of a single reason to do that. But I can think of lots of reasons not to...

1 - Industrial velcro may be tight, but you also have to have a strong bond between the lenses/buckets and the velcro strip. You won't.
2 - You are actually bonding to paint on the lense, it won't be strong.
3 - It will raise the lense off the bucket and look weird (kind word)
4 - The bonding will show behind the lense and look weird (kind word)
5 - The velcro will hold moisture. There will be mildew and all kinds of contamination, leading to more fogging in the lens, not less.
6 - The headlights already have holes for water and moisture to escape
7 - The lens seals to the body, you would loose that seal, letting moisture in behind the clam and lens
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Great points about the moisture. I tested the gap, and found it to not really be visible - same with the velcro, it'd be hidden behind the paint. But you're totally right about bonding to paint, not the lens. Guess I'll stick with an annual housing removal & clean the moisture from the light holes with a rag. For whatever reason, my lenses have a really bad fogging problem(as well as dirt, which seems to pile up in them).

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 01:50 AM

I had this problem. There is a break in the seal somewhere, just apply some silicone sealer around the whole perimeter where the clear lens is bonded to the black housing, force it into the gap and wipe it all off. Worked a treat and my headlights no longer fog up. Same with the indicator lenses.
Varun916 likes this.

2009 Elise S,Rev 400 ,t Ferrea Valves , MWR springs,PPE headers and decat,SSC Harness bar, PenskeDA,Shaved V2 steering arms ,FF engine damper. Saikou Michi catch cans, Modded Toyota E153 gearbox ,60l Proalloy fuel tank , Aeromotive 320 fuel pump,Exedy clutch LSD , SSC ECU, CompositeWorx SP1 seats ,Varexy muffler, Haltech Elite 1500 ECU, Racepak IQ3 Street dash, Aussie-clamhinge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in