The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Elige Velcro Headlamp lens to housing?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  RichardNHCooper 
#1 ·
I'm doing maintenance on my headlight housings - separating the lens covers from the housings to clean out the gunk and fog. I'm worried that since these units don't have good seals, that I'll be in the same position a year later. I don't see anything that prevents moisture buildup anywhere.

So I was wondering - let's say I epoxy velcro strips(on the entire perimeter) to the housing and lens cover. Can I rely on velcro to hold lens covers in place? At track speeds?

Can't decide if this is a terrible idea or a great one! :scratchhead:

#2 ·
I can't think of a single reason to do that. But I can think of lots of reasons not to...

1 - Industrial velcro may be tight, but you also have to have a strong bond between the lenses/buckets and the velcro strip. You won't.
2 - You are actually bonding to paint on the lense, it won't be strong.
3 - It will raise the lense off the bucket and look weird (kind word)
4 - The bonding will show behind the lense and look weird (kind word)
5 - The velcro will hold moisture. There will be mildew and all kinds of contamination, leading to more fogging in the lens, not less.
6 - The headlights already have holes for water and moisture to escape
7 - The lens seals to the body, you would loose that seal, letting moisture in behind the clam and lens

#3 ·
Great points about the moisture. I tested the gap, and found it to not really be visible - same with the velcro, it'd be hidden behind the paint. But you're totally right about bonding to paint, not the lens. Guess I'll stick with an annual housing removal & clean the moisture from the light holes with a rag. For whatever reason, my lenses have a really bad fogging problem(as well as dirt, which seems to pile up in them).

#4 ·
I had this problem. There is a break in the seal somewhere, just apply some silicone sealer around the whole perimeter where the clear lens is bonded to the black housing, force it into the gap and wipe it all off. Worked a treat and my headlights no longer fog up. Same with the indicator lenses.

Reactions: Varun916
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.