The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Elise Service Manual for $25 from LCU.

137K views 391 replies 175 participants last post by  DWilde 
#1 ·
The Service Manual for the Federal Elise is available on the Lotus Cars USA website. You must pay a membership fee of $25 for one day, $300 for a month, or a huge amount for a year to gain access to the site. Once on the site you can download individual chapters from the Service Manual.

I purchased a one day access for $25 and proceeded to download all the sections that were available. I have not checked to see if they are as complete or are the same as the paper manual I purchased several months ago. First glance suggests all the chapters are there.

The Toyota manuals are separate and can be purchased at your local Lotus dealership. The site does include a listing of what these manuals include and the price.

Terms of Agreement prevent the uploading of the material and only license you to have one copy. Please do not ask me for a copy of my material. $25 is inexpensive.

Michael

edit to add-
I've had consistent trouble with the plain www.lotustechinfo.com link.

This one http://www.lotustechinfo.com/subscriber_new_terms.asp however has always worked for me.

YMMV.

#52 ·
No new service bulletins since the ones posted previously above:

Technical Service Bulletins - Elise
2004/11 Throttle
2004/18 Lift Tube
2004/21 Cooler Union
2004/27 Visor Seal
2005/01 AC Probe
2005/03 Scan 3
2005/04 Lightweight
2005/05 Oil Cooler

Mike

#53 · (Edited)
The only other car that I can find with the C64 transmission is the Australian Toyota Corolla Sportivo (has our engine too) but it's front wheel drive.

2nd Edit: site where this information comes from:
http://www.mccarrolls.com.au/toyota/showroom/passenger/corolla/sportivo/specifications

DRIVETRAIN - TOYOTA COROLLA SPORTIVO 4D Hatchback - 6 man

Driven Wheels Front
Transmission description Six speed manual
- Transmission code C64

Gear Ratios
- 1st 3.166:1
- 2nd Gear 2.050:1
- 3rd Gear 1.481:1
- 4th Gear 1.166:1
- 5th Gear 0.916:1
- 6th Gear 0.815:1
- Reverse Gear 3.250:1
- Differential ratio 4.529:1

Can't find an australian equivalent to the toyota tech docs in europe:

Edit3: fixed link
http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/find_SM.asp?&d=1&lang=En

10 euros for Toyota, 8 euros for Lexus, 16 euros for both.

or like in the US:

http://techinfo.toyota.com/

$10 single day

The US site has none of our documents.

The European one has at least the engine one under the Celica english documents (RM733E)

The European one has another document with the same code as our engine supplement one (RM929E) but under the corolla and the description doesn't match, but the part number does????

Can't find the C64 transmission on either of them, I wonder if that transmission was not used on the US or EU markets at all?

Edit, the C64 transmission manual is part number RM930E

#54 · (Edited)
Hopefully last post before downloading everything tomorrow.

I found all the toyota engine and transmission manuals at the european site:

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/find_SM.asp?&d=1&lang=En

Access for one day is 16 euros, I don't think they don't do the separate subscriptions toyota vs lexus, you can access both.

Lotus name: Elise/Exige 6 Speed Engine Manual
Lotus part: B120T0327J
Toyota name: English Repair Manual ENGINE (1999-->) vehicle id: ZZT230
Toyota part: RM733E
Toyota name: English Repair Manual ENGINE (2000-->) vehicle id: ZZT231
Toyota part: RM733E
Both links take you to the same document.
Both Available when you search for Celica/English and it will be under Repair Manual/Engine.

Lotus name: Elise/Exige 6 Speed Engine Supplement
Lotus part: C120T0327J
Toyota name: English Repair Manual ENGINE (2001-->) vehicle id: ZZE123 From Oct. 2001 production.
Toyota part: RM929E
Strange too, the description is for a Main Manual not a supplement. But it's the right manual
Available when you search for Corolla/English and it will be under Repair Manual/Engine.

Lotus name: Elise/Exige 6 Speed Transmission
Lotus part: D120T0327J
Toyota name: English Repair Manual CHASSIS + BODY (2001-->) vehicle id: ZZE123 C64 Manual Transaxle
Toyota part: RM930E
Another strange one, they didn't put the document under the transmission. But also the right manual.
Available also doing a search for Corolla/English and it will be under Repair Manual/Chassis+Body

You don't have to pay to do the searches, and 16 euros is not that much money. (around $25) Anyway tomorrow I'm going to try to create a one day account, hopefully they allow access from the US, or I'll have to use my parent's address in Spain and pay taxes I guess.

#55 ·
The manuals are for viewing only and it's a pain to download them :(
pretty much they have to be downloaded by section one by one and there are a lot of sections.

Anyway i'm going to be very busy getting all those pages, and I'll report later.

#56 ·
Miguel, don't be busy! Just use HTTP retrieval tools and it's a piece of cake.
I personally used wget to mirror entire web tree from their site on my harddrive with all the pdf documents and web pages. Took me about 10 minutes.
I can not imaging wasting my time manually downloading each and every document :rolleyes:

Miguel said:
The manuals are for viewing only and it's a pain to download them :(
pretty much they have to be downloaded by section one by one and there are a lot of sections.

Anyway i'm going to be very busy getting all those pages, and I'll report later.

#58 · (Edited)
Hmm... Maby they changed the site lately. I had no problem with the right set of command options to mirror it (including Esprit part just in case).
wegt does not really need index.html (in fact it will generate it locally).

Have you looked at this
post for options? Use whatever strating URL you have in your browser once yuo log in.

Miguel said:
problem is that there is not an index.html but a css that links to javascript, etc...

Tried wget already, but I'm looking into other ways too.

#59 · (Edited)
apkom said:
Hmm... Maby they changed the site lately. I had no problem with the right set of command options to mirror it (including Esprit part just in case).
wegt does not really need index.html (in fact it will generate it locally).

Have you looked at this
post for options? Use whatever strating URL you have in your browser once yuo log in.
Read my previous posts. This is not for the lotus site, this is for the european Toyota site to retreive the 2 engine documents and the transmission documents.

Anyway it's a PITA but I got them.

230 pdfs for the engine (RM733E)
29 pdfs for the engine supplement (RM929E)
16 pdfs for the C64 transmission (RM930E)

I think i even will try to get the index files for all those documents not sure how that works, but at least I have the individual files :nanner:
for 16 euros and one hour of work is not too bad.

Edit: both manual documents for the RM733E (1999 and 2000) are the same it seems, get the 2000 one just in case. I'm getting both and I'll compare.

Edit2: on the address at registration I did put UK because they didn't have an US entry, but the credit card went through because I put my real address and zip code.

#60 ·
I didn't realize the 2ZZGE engine was available in 2000 models. I know the 2ZZFE was, but that only had variable time, not lift. Now that you have the engine manual, can you confirm that it covers the 2ZZGE? Do you think it is the latest, up-to-date 2ZZGE manual, or simply the original one from 2000 or 2001?

#62 · (Edited)
ChrisH said:
I didn't realize the 2ZZGE engine was available in 2000 models. I know the 2ZZFE was, but that only had variable time, not lift. Now that you have the engine manual, can you confirm that it covers the 2ZZGE? Do you think it is the latest, up-to-date 2ZZGE manual, or simply the original one from 2000 or 2001?
I'm still downloading stuff, I'll look at what I got later on. Now I got all the service data sheets for both the corolla and celica.
But I want to grab everything I can from both cars since there are references to the engine and transmision on the Corolla manuals (RM925E) and others supplementals.

Also I'm going to grab all the electrical documents, anyway it's going to take me a while. But the 3 I got 1st refer to the 2ZZGE as well as the 1ZZFE and the 3ZZFE as well as the 4ZZFE in some other documents, anyway it's the right ones but I haven't look inside the documents much because I'll be busy :sheep:

#63 ·
I think I have more than i'll ever need.

It's not too bad to get the three documents, once you pay for access you'll have to open the browsing tree and right click to save as each pdf section.

Some are html links to a specific page, those you have to display and then save the acrobat document.

Note that on acrobat sometimes it doesn't allow you to create a directory so prepare the folders where you'll put all the documents for that manual at. ie RM733E for all the RM733E document files.

Also if you have microsoft word or any other capable document editor you can expan the manual browsing tree one by one and once they are all open you can select all (right click on that pane) then control-c to copy to the buffer and then you can paste that to word, retaining the hyperlinks.

Save the file as html and edit all the references to the web site so that they reference to your disk.

For people that don't like computers I'll recomend you buy the print ones, this was a real PITA to do.

#67 ·
Bruce said:
Not for me. I guess I'm going to have to contact Lotus.
I had the same problem. Check your spam or bulk mail inbox, it's probably there. My spam filter caught it as the reply to me did not have a LotusUSA domain; it was sent from a ???@yahoo.com address with the subject line "Membership Information".

#68 ·
Miguel said:
This is not for the lotus site, this is for the European Toyota site to retrieve the 2 engine documents and the transmission documents.
Miguel,

Have you check to make sure that the Toyota manuals are in fact the correct ones for our Elise? If so, I may have to go get them also...

#70 ·
OppositeLock said:
I had the same problem. Check your spam or bulk mail inbox, it's probably there. My spam filter caught it as the reply to me did not have a LotusUSA domain; it was sent from a ???@yahoo.com address with the subject line "Membership Information".
No Spam filters active. That's the same thing Lotus tried to blame it on. There's something wrong with their program. I know I shouldn't have used that damn Paypal. :wallbang:

#71 ·
TimMullen said:
Miguel,

Have you check to make sure that the Toyota manuals are in fact the correct ones for our Elise? If so, I may have to go get them also...
Seems like the right ones, I'm posting html files of the indices so you can take a peak.

I modified the Lotus html to link to these for the engine, supplement and transmission.

I have each of these files and image support folder on their own folder, i.e.
Toyota
RM733E
RM929E
RM930E​
I also got several service and miscelaneous ones for the Celica and Corolla, didn't dowload the whole thing but anything related to the engine, transmission, intake, exhaust, ecu (even if it's different), electrical wiring, engine mount stuff, but got tired after a while because it was too much work.

I have them located under a toyota folder under the lotus service manual folder.

Toyota
SDSCelica
SDS418E
SDS438E
SDS457E
SDS466E
SDS477E​
SDSCorolla
EWD480E
EWD485E
RM925E
SDS453E
SDS455E
SDS457E
SDS466E
SDS477E​

I didn't dowload these last ones fully other than the SDS's, I tried to get as much as RM925E as I could.

Like I said before, it's a lot of work (time consuming) so better do it on a weekend or something like that, if you are just after the 3 manuals I'll say one hour will do. But if you are like me, you'll want more and more ;)

good news is that if you forget to download the indices for those three manuals you'll have them from my zip file ;)

Attachments

#72 ·
TimMullen said:
Miguel,

Btw the only way to make sure they are the actual ones if for someone that has them to take a peak at the indices....

Michael?????

And Tim, don't forget to use UK for country since they don't offer US, my credid card went through even with the wrong country :shrug: and no VAT was added as far as I know

#73 ·
Thanks Miguel,

I'm going to have to try downloading the files. But I'll wait for a weekend when I'm not going to be busy, since I'll probably get everything I can (you can never have too many tools or manuals:D ).

#74 · (Edited)
Two quick notes Tim,

once you open the view document, you'll have to open each branch of the navigation tree on the left, right click and save as, some of them you actually have to press them and use the acrobat save icon. (electrical I believe) there is another thread where I posted what I did.

http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13840

I wont be on my computer during the weekend so I hope you have good luck with the download, pm me if you want my cell # in case you get stuck.

Edit: oops I forgot the 2nd note, your login times out, you probably have to re-login for other documents, I had to do that several times.

#76 ·
2nd STB on AC?

doma said:
That was $25 well spent. The quality of the manuals looks top notch. Praise be to Lotus for such a service!

Incase anyone is wondering here's the current bulletin list as of 6/14...

Technical Service Bulletins - Elise
2004/11 Throttle
2004/18 Lift Tube
2004/21 Cooler Union
2004/27 Visor Seal
2005/01 AC Probe
2005/03 Scan 3
2005/04 Lightweight
2005/05 Oil Cooler

Recals
-none

I already see info which should help me with my AC and idling problems.
-doma
Can you check and see if there is another TSB on the AC, mine still doesn't work well in the heat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.