The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Elise Soft Top headliner came loose! repair?

8K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Gizmo3000 
#1 · (Edited)
My 2005 Elise is a full on garage queen,. yet the headliner portion of the soft-top, on the drivers side, has literally come loose! - and I've literally only taken the top off/on a few dozen times.
anyone else experience this?
I imagine I can use some adhesive to stick it back in and hope it sticks, but what kind do you think is best? (and is this the proper way to fix it?)
thanks

*meant "Touring Soft Top"

#2 ·
There's at least one big thread on this.

TADTS.

Some, like myself had them professionally recovered. Others have repaired it themselves and a few have removed it all together and left it bare.

#3 ·
There's at least one big thread on this.
Some, like myself had them professionally recovered. Others have repaired it themselves and a few have removed it all together and left it bare.
I think the OP is talking about the Touring package soft top which has a 2 layer design, the inner layer being a headliner. Most the threads I have seen are about hardtop headliners falling down.

The non-touring package soft top was only a single layer with no inner headliner. This is what I have so I can't comment on repairing it, sorry!

#7 ·
thanks for the replies!
..yes,. I meant Touring Soft Top (forgot about the minimal one that also existed).

I could have sworn the topic was discussed before, but was unable to successfully find it in a search.
(guess I'll try searching again.. any search tips to find the big thread?)

I'll probably try 3M Headliner and Fabric Adhesive to try to "do it right"- (could use some of that in my MGB as well)

#8 ·
How to Search:

For future reference: Don't use the search on this site. Simply use Google and end the search text with "site:lotustalk.com". E.g.
Transmission Fluid change what bolt site:lotustalk.com no space betw site:lotustalk.com

#11 ·
well, my final solution was to buy the 3m Adhesive,. sprayed it on the fabric that was loose, and jammed it back into place. that stuff was sticky!
But it did the trick. (didn't break apart or unscrew anything)

#14 ·
it's been a few years since I did it now, but I believe I just peeled it back and sprayed onto the fabric itself and jammed it all in as best I could. I believe I tried to smooth it out as much as possible, might have been slightly lumpy since I did not take things apart, but it worked. that 3m stuff was dang sticky and dried fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.