Exige Firewall Changes - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Garage
Exige Firewall Changes

I'm working on some winter maintenance items and have the rear clam off. There are still some plumbing items I want to clean up and some other items that have a very tight fit between the engine and the firewall. Items like changing the thermostat, installing a block off plates and just the plumbing for coolant/oil are a very tight fit if not impossible to change with supercharger fitted and AC/Alternator in the way. I've seen a couple photos of custom firewalls, attached what I could quickly find to give an example. Has anyone removed the stock firewall and put something else in? I'm assuming there is a good amount of disassembly first but could pay off once done. Can the firewall be moved up or reshaped in a way to provide more access? Even an extra inch or two could be huge and I'm not sure that would really hurt cabin space. Anyone have any good pictures of such an install? Tips or tricks from someone that has done this? I have an Exige with the intercooler so not worried about losing the rear window.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 11:28 AM

The bottom one is phils old car where it is two pieces attached to the roll cage. I am planning on doing the same myself, but waiting until I get a full cage in to do it. Likely sometime this year. I don't see any reason you couldn't make a firewall off he back of the roll cage in the same manner, just have some boxes off it where the harnass bar etc is?

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfennell View Post
The bottom one is phils old car where it is two pieces attached to the roll cage. I am planning on doing the same myself, but waiting until I get a full cage in to do it. Likely sometime this year. I don't see any reason you couldn't make a firewall off he back of the roll cage in the same manner, just have some boxes off it where the harnass bar etc is?
Yes, that is Phil's old car and I took the pic from his website.

I was hoping you'd chime in as I expected you might be undertaking this at some point. I wasn't sure if this would need to attach to a roll cage or harness bar or if it could attached to the stock locations and simply have more bends build into it. I'd want to keep it simple enough but haven't seen many pictures of one to know how it fits around the fuel pump, harness bar, roll cage, etc. Also not sure how big of a project this is, is it engine out or just seats out. I'm assuming it is worthwhile if it provides more room but many I'm wrong and it's not worth the time.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 01:08 PM

I think you could do it engine in.

However how to mount it in an in between way I really dont know. I never really looked how the firewall is mounted now. You would need to avoid the harnass bar, but the roll cage is pretty far forward, the fuel pump opening is there, but you could make a part removable there.

I would think best bet is to attach to the top of the roll cage with a few spacers, then come down on whatever angle lets you avoid the harnass bar. And to use a harness bar that just uses the holes on the back of the roll bar, not the seat belt holes.

2007 Exige S with almost every track mod...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2019, 07:33 AM

The 2-Eleven engine clean-up done 9 years ago with the stock cup-airbox and before BOE Fastworks, etc ......
Attached Images

LostPawn likes this.

Jack
2008 2-Eleven
2015 Exige CupR
Track videos ... http://www.youtube.com/jackcup
2010 Lotus Challenge Series ULTRA Class champion
2012 Lotus CUP USA OPEN Class champion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in