Favorite Writer: Maintenance on Hagerty - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard View Post
I am afraid of using too much Marvel Mystery oil. Car has not ran in over 7 years, but no reason to expect copious amounts of surface rust in cylinders.

I don't want to glaze my new plugs, royal pain in ass x12...
If the engine's not stuck, then you don't want MMO. Engine oil is what you want between rings and bore. One light shot down each spark plug hole, then turn the engine through a rev or two.

If you're planning on starting it afterward, just disconnect the ignition, leave the plugs out, drape a heavy towel over the plug holes, and spin the engine with the starter (after turning it over by hand first) for 10 sec or so. That'll blow any excess oil out of the cylinders through the plug holes. Put things together, and start it. I've never fouled a plug on an engine after doing this. You'll get a little puff of white smoke on startup, but there's never enough oil left to keep things from working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 03:53 AM

pre oiling

ehh

sure if it is an expensive Maserati engine. But sitting with dead old oil either has or hasn't rotted the bearing shells. You cannot know without taking it apart. IF you are going to take it apart, why are you starting it?

If it isn't full of water then you are not that different from starting it from an oil change, and if you have those serious doubts, you shouldn't be starting it.

Change the oil, check the coolant to make sure its coolant not dust.

Starting a long dead car is basically a small piece of disrespect. You are betting it doesn't throw a rod in the first 10 seconds, but kind of don't care if it does.

That Elise in that guys yard in florida for 10 years, hell ya, I'm checking the oil and throwing the jump pack on it. Toyota motors are a dime a dozen.

Even Lotus twin cam, cheap lower end go for it.

That Turbo Esprit or Maserati Merak, matching numbers 63 Vette, yeah, think we are towing her home and taking the long way.

Mystery oil is a great penetrant, so absolutely squirt it down the bores, then wait and follow with oil.

As a side note, the money he is talking about for a twin cam rebuild is crazy town, hell a new Ford block is less than 2 grand on your doorstep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in