Gas smell - BAD. - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Ghost View Post
Plastique999, I was wondering how your car was doing (if you had found the problem yet), and thinking of you when reading this post.
Yea, other than the fuel issue car is almost ready to track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
If you not running a proper tune for the 255 then you will be running way rich due to higher fuel presure and volume of the fuel pump.
Well, the AFR on the dyno ran o.k.....
I'm pretty sure I have a leak some where...

2011 Final Edition S260 Isotope Green
2005 Track Elise LotusCupUSA
2008 211 FS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordZ View Post
If it's a strong gas smell then I personally wouldn't drive it until I found it. Leaking injectors has burned more than one car to the ground before. It's even more likely in cold weather on cars that use hose clamps to secure the lines as the rubber hoses shrink allowing fuel to leak around a loose clamp.

My wife doesn't like to ride in my Exige because it "smells like a motor" inside. But it doesn't smell like gas at any point during my driving.

Exhaust doesn't smell like gas.
Oil doesn't smell like gas.
Gas smells like gas.

Pull the injector cover off and see if your fuel rail is leaking, other than that like I said earlier follow all the fuel lines around and find where your smell is coming from. Don't forget the passenger side and the charcoal canister too.

Or if you can't find it take it to someone that knows Lotus' and get them to locate the leak for you. Or tell you to man up and it's a normal smell and your nose is just too sensitive.

Really don't want to read a post from you about how your Elise burnt to the ground...
Well, I don't have an option as it's my daily driver. I don't want it to burn down either, considering I just got it. That's also my conundrum. I just got it and I want to drive the hell out of it. It's a trip.

I'm sure Lotus of Scottsdale will be awesome about the whole thing and get it handled. Andy struck me as a very thorough, OCD type of mechanic. A great thing to have around these parts.

If it's something where I've got to man-up, I'll be surprised. My wardrobe stinks too much.

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

F The System - ChuforiaGraffix.com SweetDaddyDelicious(at)hotmail(dot)com
post #23 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastique999 View Post
Yea, other than the fuel issue car is almost ready to track!

Well, the AFR on the dyno ran o.k.....
I'm pretty sure I have a leak some where...
Any stainless steel fuel lines? They will some times seep fuel fumes threw the rubber.

post #24 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Puff Daddy

I'd check the area where the fuel pump "access panel" is. I also recommend driving the car as little as possible... I caught my MR2 on fire due to a small fuel leak.
post #25 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Well, it turns out that there are quite a few OTHER things wrong with my car...

They are inspecting the gas / antifreeze smells right now.

Apparently, my front clam is defective. There is a piece glued to the bottom of the clam to hold in the front headlights and the glue has eaten the fiberglass away to the point of rippling it. We thought it was an issue with the Star Shield, however, it isn't. After Andy contacted Lotus, they immediately recognized the issue, told him what is wrong, and are now sending a new front clam out this way. They'll be replacing the Star Shield too when the new one gets painted.

My new rubber has been installed. WHOOO HOOO!!! no more spinning spinnies...

The stock exhaust is back on there (I like the Stage II but it hurts my ears badly @ highway speeds)

Andy is out testing the gas smell and the Antifreeze smell right now. He says that he didn't find any coolant or gas spilled and the coolant level has not changed, so It is probably something minor. When the front clam gets replaced, he says he will have a much easier time diagnosing the issue if he finds anything after his drive.

I am so grateful I got a car with a warranty still left on it! I will be purchasing an extended Lotus warranty in April before this one runs out.

By the way, this has in no way diminished my enthusiasm for the car. I am thoroughly enjoying my Lotus experience and I can't wait to get my car back!

post #26 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 10:16 AM
Puff Daddy

So you think the smell was coming from your exhaust?

If that much unburned fuel is getting through the engine then that might be an indicator of a serious power train issue. I kind of doubt that it was doing that though otherwise you'd have a check engine light on and be seriously lacking in power.
post #27 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
So you think the smell was coming from your exhaust?

If that much unburned fuel is getting through the engine then that might be an indicator of a serious power train issue. I kind of doubt that it was doing that though otherwise you'd have a check engine light on and be seriously lacking in power.
Yeah, running fat is never a good thing.

I still smell it Bane, but it is considerably less potent with the stock exhaust on. My eyes don't burn anymore and I'm not yawning every time I open the window or take the top off. Maybe you could meet up with me when you're back in town to see what I'm talking about.

By the way, I saw the new header and high flow cat prototypes for the Elise at PPE yesterday when my buddy had his stock exhaust replaced on his MR2 Spyder there. Beautiful piece.

post #28 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Puff Daddy

Shhh... that new header design is confidential (jk)

It's really shaping up nicely. Version 2.0 of the PPE header is going to be rockin'...
post #29 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 06:30 PM

If you doubters and nay sayers will refer to my original post on this IT'S AN EXHAUST LEAK!!!!! Yes, an exhaust leak in an Elise DOES smell like gas and make you sick and make your eyes water, etc. etc. etc. Glad you solved it and are enjoying your Elise. (I had the same problem)...Dave
post #30 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 06:32 PM
qball

I've got bad gas smell too... but I ate chili for dinner.
post #31 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-23-2009, 10:10 PM

I've had an 07 for one week. With the top off, definite gas smell. It has a Borla exhaust, so I'll look for a leak.
post #32 of 76 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

To be sure I am not crazy, I brought my car to a kind forum member who was willing to drive mine and let me know if he smelled anything.

He did smell exhaust. He also had a headache halfway through our ride.

When I had my Stage II on, the car was worse.

Last edited by the1sen; 02-03-2009 at 08:19 PM.
post #33 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 08:34 PM
glb

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1sen View Post
I am getting headaches and nausea at this point
Reminds me of my ex-wife before sex....and after.

05 elise (BOE Rev300 supercharged, SSRs, shift tower mods, Multivex; HID hi/low beams); 05 Corolla XRS. Past '72 Elan Sprint (I restored), Lotus 7 w/X-flow, TT Supra, Bugeye Sprite, BMW 2002 & 2002tii, '65 GTO.

Driving Tips-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...cy-line-36631/
Bleeding Brakes- https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f10...-brakes-241138
post #34 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 10:14 PM

My car sounds like yours, in that there is a strong gas smell, but I don't think it can be the exhaust. It would have to be pig rich at part throttle, but it passed smog with only 7 PPM HC three weeks ago.

I think mine has to be a charcoal canister hose, or gas cap. I would think the smog check would have found those, but unburned fuel has to be coming from somewhere.

Also, mine gets like this when it's good and hot, which again makes me think fuel in the tank evaporating. Is yours temp related?
post #35 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinthefro View Post
My car sounds like yours, in that there is a strong gas smell, but I don't think it can be the exhaust. It would have to be pig rich at part throttle, but it passed smog with only 7 PPM HC three weeks ago.

I think mine has to be a charcoal canister hose, or gas cap. I would think the smog check would have found those, but unburned fuel has to be coming from somewhere.

Also, mine gets like this when it's good and hot, which again makes me think fuel in the tank evaporating. Is yours temp related?
You know, I never checked... I know that when I drive with the windows up, I'm good to go. If I drop a window, I can instantly smell it. If I hit the throttle the scent diminishes a bit and then returns stronger.

I usually drive to work with the car buttoned up... Yesterday, I went for a ride a lunch to go pick up a friend to get his new car. When I returned to the office a half hour later, I was sick to my stomach and my head was pounding. Windows were down for that trip.

I think I may just put the hard top back on until they can sort it out...

post #36 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 06:53 AM
Puff Daddy

Exhaust leaks are pretty apparent (the exhaust note will be really raspy)... especially if the smell is that bad.

I still vote for a fuel leak somewhere else. You do keep a fire extinguisher in the car right? I'd be worried sick (no pun intended) if I had to drive around like that.
post #37 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 10:01 AM

the1sen,

Here's a link to a thread discussing deleting the charcoal canister. It'll give you some ideas and you may want to nose around there for your leak.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/f...nk-mods-57697/

There are plenty of other threads noting occasional problems with the canister, some that might be causing your gas smell. It's definitely not a normal condition for our cars. Keep checking-you'll find the source of your leak.

Tom
post #38 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehitom View Post
the1sen,

Here's a link to a thread discussing deleting the charcoal canister. It'll give you some ideas and you may want to nose around there for your leak.

https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/f...nk-mods-57697/

There are plenty of other threads noting occasional problems with the canister, some that might be causing your gas smell. It's definitely not a normal condition for our cars. Keep checking-you'll find the source of your leak.

Tom
thanks Tom - not so sure of what to do because none of the gas threads mention a fix.

The only thing that sounds plausible is the plug where the cables enter the passenger compartment are not sealed and are sucking in fumes/gas whatever, from the engine bay when opening a window. I don't smell anything in the engine bay with the car stopped or with the windows/top buttoned up.

I'll try that and hope. But no one has reported any other possibilities. It's not fun to drive your car and vomit afterward, or catch a headache each time.

yeah, I know, i'm a puss

Last edited by the1sen; 02-06-2009 at 09:07 AM.
post #39 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 02:20 PM

How many miles do you have? Is your car still under warranty?

The only thing I can think of is to have a dealer look for what ever? But if its not under warranty that could be $$$.
post #40 of 76 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 02:58 PM

dealer

also have the same issue ..also tried bringing mine to the dealer..no luck..they could not figure it out..
they actually think its normal..go figure...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in