Gas smell - BAD. - Page 4 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-14-2009, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
the1sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In The Ghetto... Ghetto of Phoenix AZ
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert K View Post
the1sen, has a fix been found on your car yet?
Congrats on the new Elise! I can't WAIT to get mine back!

Not yet - but KevinTheFro has found some interesting items in his car. When mine comesback from the dealer this week, I will be updating folks - Kevin's thread is here: https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...asoline-69686/

My car looks like this right now.
Attached Images
 

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

F The System - ChuforiaGraffix.com SweetDaddyDelicious(at)hotmail(dot)com
the1sen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
the1sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In The Ghetto... Ghetto of Phoenix AZ
Posts: 1,566
FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My gas smell is officially fixed.

I just got off the phone with Andy at Lotus of Scottsdale. The Closed Canister Valve was not actuating - they actuated it with a probe and it works fine now.

Andy said he put a sniffer in there and could tell where the smell was coming from. His words were, "I inserted a probe, and actuated the the valve. I don't know if it was sticking or what, but once it actuated a couple of times, I couldn't sniff anymore hydrocarbons with the sniffer. Problem solved."



Andy is THE MAN. I am not driving with my top on for a long time. Andy, you are a god amongst men and you have made my Lotus experience THAT much better. THANK YOU for your tenacity and patience in dealing with me. I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!

I would also like to thank every member who posted to this thread and who have PM'd me about this issue. You guys all rock. If I can be of assistance in any other way, I would suggest that everyone with this issue also check out Kevinthefro's thread about his gas smell... https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...asoline-69686/

I am so Stoked... I am going to the flats tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

F The System - ChuforiaGraffix.com SweetDaddyDelicious(at)hotmail(dot)com
the1sen is offline  
post #63 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 12:58 PM
shay2nak
 
shay2nak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Calipornia
Posts: 24,861
glad you got it fixed.

** save ~10 lbs gain 1 hp ** EQ: Y=(190*X) / (1984-X) where Y is (HP) and X is (lbs)

'07 Lotus Exige S310


WTC 2
shay2nak is offline  
 
post #64 of 76 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
the1sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In The Ghetto... Ghetto of Phoenix AZ
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by shay2nak View Post
glad you got it fixed.
ME TOO!!!

More than that, I'm just glad I didn't explode.

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

F The System - ChuforiaGraffix.com SweetDaddyDelicious(at)hotmail(dot)com
the1sen is offline  
post #65 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Registered User
 
xplicitimage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Orleans, La
Posts: 65
gas smell

I have the same problem with the interior with my car. How do you actuate the part can you take a picture or show me how so can fix it. there is no lotus dealer here in New Orleans. Please help!! my car smell like gas. its so bad that i leaves a dirty smog stain on all my windows inside my windows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1sen View Post
My gas smell is officially fixed.

I just got off the phone with Andy at Lotus of Scottsdale. The Closed Canister Valve was not actuating - they actuated it with a probe and it works fine now.

Andy said he put a sniffer in there and could tell where the smell was coming from. His words were, "I inserted a probe, and actuated the the valve. I don't know if it was sticking or what, but once it actuated a couple of times, I couldn't sniff anymore hydrocarbons with the sniffer. Problem solved."



Andy is THE MAN. I am not driving with my top on for a long time. Andy, you are a god amongst men and you have made my Lotus experience THAT much better. THANK YOU for your tenacity and patience in dealing with me. I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!

I would also like to thank every member who posted to this thread and who have PM'd me about this issue. You guys all rock. If I can be of assistance in any other way, I would suggest that everyone with this issue also check out Kevinthefro's thread about his gas smell... https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...asoline-69686/

I am so Stoked... I am going to the flats tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
xplicitimage is offline  
post #66 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Registered User
 
xplicitimage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Orleans, La
Posts: 65
gas smell

Does this mean that i should replace the charcoal canister?
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1sen View Post
My gas smell is officially fixed.

I just got off the phone with Andy at Lotus of Scottsdale. The Closed Canister Valve was not actuating - they actuated it with a probe and it works fine now.

Andy said he put a sniffer in there and could tell where the smell was coming from. His words were, "I inserted a probe, and actuated the the valve. I don't know if it was sticking or what, but once it actuated a couple of times, I couldn't sniff anymore hydrocarbons with the sniffer. Problem solved."



Andy is THE MAN. I am not driving with my top on for a long time. Andy, you are a god amongst men and you have made my Lotus experience THAT much better. THANK YOU for your tenacity and patience in dealing with me. I LOVE YOU MAN!!!!

I would also like to thank every member who posted to this thread and who have PM'd me about this issue. You guys all rock. If I can be of assistance in any other way, I would suggest that everyone with this issue also check out Kevinthefro's thread about his gas smell... https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...asoline-69686/

I am so Stoked... I am going to the flats tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
xplicitimage is offline  
post #67 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
the1sen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In The Ghetto... Ghetto of Phoenix AZ
Posts: 1,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by xplicitimage View Post
Does this mean that i should replace the charcoal canister?
I don't believe so - Andy, my mechanic, did not replace anything. His words were, "I inserted a probe, and actuated the the valve. I don't know if it was sticking or what, but once it actuated a couple of times, I couldn't sniff anymore hydrocarbons with the sniffer. Problem solved."

I believe it was one of these tubes which he inserted the probe into... I apologize for being unable to help more - I really don't know much more than what he told me.

The tubes are in the passenger side of the engine bay as shown in the photo below. I colored the tubes for you so you can see which is which.
Attached Images
   

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

F The System - ChuforiaGraffix.com SweetDaddyDelicious(at)hotmail(dot)com
the1sen is offline  
post #68 of 76 (permalink) Old 06-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Registered User
 
xplicitimage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Orleans, La
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1sen View Post
I don't believe so - Andy, my mechanic, did not replace anything. His words were, "I inserted a probe, and actuated the the valve. I don't know if it was sticking or what, but once it actuated a couple of times, I couldn't sniff anymore hydrocarbons with the sniffer. Problem solved."

I believe it was one of these tubes which he inserted the probe into... I apologize for being unable to help more - I really don't know much more than what he told me.

The tubes are in the passenger side of the engine bay as shown in the photo below. I colored the tubes for you so you can see which is which.
Thanks for the info. I'll try to stick a hanger down those pipes to see if i'll work.
xplicitimage is offline  
post #69 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 02:49 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3
Sorry to bring up an old thread but it's driving me crazy.
Did anybody ever cure this?
How did you activate the close sensor?
Spamdog is offline  
post #70 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 04:40 AM
Registered User
 
holmz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Antipodes
Posts: 2,309
holmz is offline  
post #71 of 76 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Torrance, CA
Posts: 132
#1 Have the dealer check the canister vent close valve. A lot of people have had those stick open. It is an emissions part and probably still under warranty.

#2 If that isn't enough, and you have a LOT of energy, hermetically seal the interior per my post fuel-smell-exhaust-smell-chemical-smell-resolved

That worked beautifully for a few months, then the smell slowly returned. My foam job probably fell apart. Someday I'll open it back up and try again.
kevinthefro is offline  
post #72 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Registered User
 
malakaone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,004
I have an 07 and last year did not have any issue with this. But after winter storage....man does it smell inside. I checked the injectors and looked around the air filter for any leaks.

I assume it is the closed canister valve was not actuating, but once I take it to TJ at FVMC I will let everyone know.

malakaone is offline  
post #73 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:11 PM
Registered User
 
rijowysock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 854
I have this problem as well. Not sure what actuating the valve requires but I'm about to just remove the vent piece and screw with it tomorrow. I see the vent valve but not sure how it vents. More info would be very much appreciated.
rijowysock is offline  
post #74 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:46 PM
Registered User
 
malakaone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,004
When I asked TJ at FVMC about it he said the ECU actuates it. I have yet to take it in though for a full diagnosis.

malakaone is offline  
post #75 of 76 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 08:52 PM
Registered User
 
rijowysock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by malakaone View Post
When I asked TJ at FVMC about it he said the ECU actuates it. I have yet to take it in though for a full diagnosis.
sounds expensive out of warranty, my smell is coming from a different area however.. i'm making a post shortly... baffles me daily...
rijowysock is offline  
post #76 of 76 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 09:47 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Maui, Hawaii, USA
Posts: 15
In my 05 Elise, I'm going to start digging in to the gasoline smell problem. Seems like it doesn't happen in the garage; only when driving. Keeping the interior fan on helps.

It doesn't seem to matter whether I just filled the tank or not. I'll start sniffing, check the charcoal canister, check the closing valve, look for leaks, cracked hoses, etc.

Does the charcoal canister ever have to be replaced, or can it just be emptied if containing liquid?

I notice that when filling up, when I open the gas cap, there is NO sound of pressure or vacuum releasing. Is there supposed to be?
Maui05Elise is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome