Jacking the Elise and Placing on Jackstands - Page 7 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 141 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge View Post
Also, it seems like the Jack Helper is the best to go to raise the rear of the car and lower it onto ramps. Is that correct?
Absolutely.
Quote:
Rather than raise the car at point A, raise it at the rear with the Jack Helper then lower onto ramps.
Now you're thinking
Quote:
Am I missing something?
Just the link: Jack Helper (jack not included) $70.00 shipped USA | Lotus [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 141 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 09:57 AM

After reviewing this thread and consulting with my son (another Elise owner) and the Q-Ball thread on this site, I finally felt confident enough to get the Elise up on my 2-post lift. My anxiety was finding the exact location of the 'C' lift points. I'm happy to report I had no issues at all. I'm posting these pictures to help those of you who also have a two-post lift, or perhaps to print to review with your mechanic for piece of mind.

The second-to-last picture provides a good perspective of the 'I-beam' on the topside of the gas tank shear panel that provides the actual support.

Now on to the brake pad swap...
Attached Images

post #123 of 141 (permalink) Old 01-28-2014, 08:40 AM

Heres a simple guide to the lift points on the Elise & Exige:

Locating the Correct Lift Points on a Lotus Elise | HowTune.com

We just finished installing new shocks, bushings, and balljoints on my car last weekend. So I thought I'd put together a concise guide for lifting a lotus. I've done a clutch swap, suspension refresh, tire changes, brake replacements, clam removal without any issues so far.

If it looks familiar it's actually done on HocusLotus's lift (having a dad with a garage is a good thing).
oranjeboven likes this.

- Ian
05 StormTi Elise w/ 190,000 miles, 05 WRX STI, 91 GMC Syclone, 14 Scion FR-S
I build things like Howtune.com and EnvyRate.com
My how-to articles: https://howtune.com/uVq/iturgeon

post #124 of 141 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 02:11 PM
The fatal shore

Could i make up a jack helper by using a good grade rectangular steel section that was the right length and use rubber pieces to go over the diffuser bolts?

2011 Elise SC Solar Yellow - mostly stock
post #125 of 141 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispysash View Post
Could i make up a jack helper by using a good grade rectangular steel section that was the right length and use rubber pieces to go over the diffuser bolts?
The Jack Helper has 2 tubes that have an angled cut on them. This allows the jack to sit horizontally while the tubes support the angled underside of the car.

I'll tell you right now, even with the Jack Helper it's scary jacking up the car. There's a lot of weight resting on the side of those bolt heads and the Jack Helper is not bolted to your jack so it wouldn't take too much to shove the car off the jack. I personally wouldn't Micky Mouse anything.
post #126 of 141 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 04:14 PM

How am I supposed to pay my kids tuition if folks make there own jack helper ?

I agree with LTD , you need to pay attention when jacking up a car. I make sure my jack can move / roll if it needs too.

2005 Storm Titanium Elise
BOE Power
www.jcrtd.com
post #127 of 141 (permalink) Old 01-23-2015, 08:11 PM
The fatal shore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-C View Post
How am I supposed to pay my kids tuition if folks make there own jack helper ?

I agree with LTD , you need to pay attention when jacking up a car. I make sure my jack can move / roll if it needs too.
Hi Jim

Being in Oz and a bit on the poor side at the moment i just had to give it a go myself - sorry! A struggle is good for kids anyway isn't it?

I thought it worked well and it didn't feel unsafe at any time. The rubber pads i've used seem to grip well too and take the diffuser angle quite well.

Have to say it's a great idea and I would recommend Jim's Helper to anyone.

Chris

2011 Elise SC Solar Yellow - mostly stock
post #128 of 141 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Hi Jim

Being in Oz and a bit on the poor side at the moment i just had to give it a go myself - sorry! A struggle is good for kids anyway isn't it?

I thought it worked well and it didn't feel unsafe at any time. The rubber pads i've used seem to grip well too and take the diffuser angle quite well.

Chris
Sounds good. I'm all for DIY . Happy lifting !

2005 Storm Titanium Elise
BOE Power
www.jcrtd.com
post #129 of 141 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 11:03 AM

youtube video on lifting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x90lFJxwdxY

2006 Elise ST (someone else has it now . . . )
2008 Exige S240 ST
post #130 of 141 (permalink) Old 01-24-2015, 11:57 AM
Less is Better

Quote:
Hi Jim

Chris
I have a jack helper and use it, but it's really not that hard to take off the diffuser and set the jack directly on the frame to raise it. It's about 5 minutes of extra work. If I need to put the rear in the air, having access to the rear frame also provides good resting points for jack stands (Point D).

Last edited by me73; 01-24-2015 at 07:09 PM.
post #131 of 141 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 05:51 AM

Wayne #1 - a factory scissor jack like you use is not for supporting a car while you lay underneath it. It is to change a tire.
#2 - This car was supported exactly like you supported yours. Caption should say "Oh... balance the tires? I thought you said balance the car"
Attached Images

post #132 of 141 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 07:38 AM

OK, silly newbie question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepe View Post
I thought I knew how to safely raise and support many different cars, but this thread is causing some self doubt.

I just ordered the jack helper after watching this video. I need new rear tires, and I've decided I don't trust any of my usual shops to lift this car.

Can I safely chock the front wheels, raise the rear and place stands under the helper as shown here to take the rears in for tire mounting? It seems like I can skip removing diffuser and undertray this way. I have ultra low floor jack from racing days.

I'm asking only from the standpoint of car damage. I know all the other safety rules. I won't be working under the car otherwise.

Thanks.

2005 Elise. Saffron. Stock, for now.
2013 458 Italia. Bianco Avus/Nero
post #133 of 141 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 09:38 AM

DO NOT Chock the front wheels when using the Jack Helper. Since the Jack Helper locates on the the two bolts and there is some horizontal movement due to the arc path of the jack you might run the risk of dislodging the jack helper from the jack arm.

Edit: Actually, can someone fact check this for me. I think the casters on the jack should be safe enough to roll for that change but I have heard mixed things. Just be careful.

2006 Black Exige
Chimera R.B.S./ITB airfilter/Composite Worx

Last edited by Kimgt; 05-27-2015 at 10:00 AM.
post #134 of 141 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 10:35 AM

Interesting conundrum though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimgt View Post
DO NOT Chock the front wheels when using the Jack Helper. Since the Jack Helper locates on the the two bolts and there is some horizontal movement due to the arc path of the jack you might run the risk of dislodging the jack helper from the jack arm.

Edit: Actually, can someone fact check this for me. I think the casters on the jack should be safe enough to roll for that change but I have heard mixed things. Just be careful.
OK. Important safety tip. Good to know.

Won't the car tend to roll backwards with rear in the air and nothing blocking fronts?

I saw the earlier posts about securing the jack helper to the jack, so I'll follow that tip, as well.

Thanks.

2005 Elise. Saffron. Stock, for now.
2013 458 Italia. Bianco Avus/Nero
post #135 of 141 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThruU View Post
OK. Important safety tip. Good to know.

Won't the car tend to roll backwards with rear in the air and nothing blocking fronts?

I saw the earlier posts about securing the jack helper to the jack, so I'll follow that tip, as well.

Thanks.
As long as the car is on level ground (which it should be if you're lifting it), there will be very little movement. It's definitely not going to try to run away from you.

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #136 of 141 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:39 AM
He's on fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TachItUp View Post
As long as the car is on level ground (which it should be if you're lifting it), there will be very little movement. It's definitely not going to try to run away from you.
If its in a garage it may not be, many garage floors are graded so that water drains out. Maybe doesn't matter but thought I'd throw that out. I would definitely chock the fronts myself, the jack should be positioned so that it will roll in the proper direction.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #137 of 141 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
If its in a garage it may not be, many garage floors are graded so that water drains out. Maybe doesn't matter but thought I'd throw that out. I would definitely chock the fronts myself, the jack should be positioned so that it will roll in the proper direction.
Now that I think about it, when I used the helper the front of my car was already on stands, so it was effectively 'chocked'

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
post #138 of 141 (permalink) Old 01-22-2016, 02:33 PM

Does anyone on this forum own an Omega 29023B Low Profile Service Jack?

I would like to know the distance from the saddle centerline to the closest face of the handle base when the handle is in the fully upright position. In other words, how much clear reach does the jack have without having to drop the handle?

I can't find that dimension on-line and Shinn Fu Technical Support is playing dumb.

Thanks in advance.
post #139 of 141 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 12:25 PM
user /tron

Is there a way to get JUST the front half of the car up on jackstands? I'm going to be installing V2 steering arms and really just need access to the front suspension, but I can't figure a way to do it without putting the whole car up.

~Matt
'06 CO Elise
'17 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro, cement grey
'16 VW GTI, Wifey's ride
Past toys: '02 WRX | '06 STI | '14 Subaru BRZ
post #140 of 141 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 06:24 AM

I am jacking the front of the Elise using my floor jack, a 38" length of rectangular steel tubing, and two hockey pucks. I run the car up on a couple of mitered 2x6s per side so that the floor jack will slide under the front of the car. The rectangular tube spans between the B-points with the hockey pucks between the steel and the chassis. The jack runs down the center of the car to the midpoint of the steel tube.
Once the car is in the air, I use two flat top jack stands under the ends of the steel tubing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in