Lotus Elise Windshield Replacement - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jason Alderman
  • 1 Post By PeteB37

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Lotus Elise Windshield Replacement

Hey Guys,

Just got my 2005 Lotus Elise back from Mulholland Motorsports to replace my cracked windshield. I'm not sure if I missed any previous threads but thought I would give some tips to anyone who needs to claim a windshield replacement with insurance.

1. If you are in the SoCal area I highly recommend Julio at Mulholland Motorsports. It took a little over a month to get the insurance accepted, glass ordered/shipped, and installation. I thought it would take much longer, but Julio was excellent with his communication between me and the insurance company and this really helped speed things along.

2. Make sure that the front clam is removed as it is stated in the official Lotus service/repair manuals. My insurance "Ameriprise" called around to other local shops basically trying to suggest that removal of the clam is not necessary (based on other shop's procedures). Julio sent over the documents from the official manuals proving that Lotus recommends removal of the front clam (otherwise you may cause damage). With that evidence they finally approved the labor involved in that process. They also wanted to see proof of the work performed (pictures with the clam off).
*I get it, they assumed this is a regular windshield replacement on a Toyota Corolla.

*Also wanted to mention that Julio cleaned up the internals under the clam (see pics) and also provided bolts/hardware that was missing from attachment points under the clam. Now thats customer service!

Anyways, If you guys have any questions let me know. I'm happy to have the Lotus back!
Attached Images

Currently:
2005 Lotus Elise
2015 Audi A3 Wife's car
2012 Toyota Prius C Daily Commuter
Sold:
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2003 350z Touring
2006 Eclipse GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Here is the service manual.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf elise_exige_body_fittings[19660].pdf (88.8 KB, 29 views)

Currently:
2005 Lotus Elise
2015 Audi A3 Wife's car
Sold:
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2003 350z Touring
2006 Eclipse GT
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:32 AM

Awesome! Are replacement windshields readily available?

I know where I'll be taking my car if (ok, when) I need a new windshield. I wonder if they could also re-spray the front clam while its off? I guess it depends on how hard it is to match the factory paint colors.
Crazy05 likes this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:43 AM

Good to know! I would never have guessed that replacing the windshield required removal of the front clam.
Crazy05 likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Alderman View Post
Awesome! Are replacement windshields readily available?

I know where I'll be taking my car if (ok, when) I need a new windshield. I wonder if they could also re-spray the front clam while its off? I guess it depends on how hard it is to match the factory paint colors.
I think Julio had it shipped from the east coast. I assumed it would take longer if it had to be ordered from the UK. Yeah, I have heard a lot of great things about Mulholland Motorsports and this is my first time using them. Julio takes a lot of pride in his work (He is the painter) and I'm sure he could get a close if not perfect match. In his office he sells large art pieces that he has painted using left over paint or for test panels. His work is fascinating, wish I took a few pictures.

Currently:
2005 Lotus Elise
2015 Audi A3 Wife's car
Sold:
2006 Pontiac Solstice
2003 350z Touring
2006 Eclipse GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in