The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

New owner, First maintenance

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Beemerb0y 
#1 ·
I purchased an 05 Elise (18k miles) last fall. Its been sitting in storage since and I want to get the car ready for the year. Looking at maintenance records from the previous owner, doesn't seem like the car was touched or even driven much since 2014.

Here's what I have planned so far:
- Oil & oil filter
- Brake fluid, pads
- Gearbox oil
- Coolant
- Air filter
- Tires

Stock radiator seems to be okay, don't think I need to replace that yet. And battery has already been replaced.

My question here is - am I missing anything? Any other consumables I should replace, or any failure-prone parts I should check?

Thanks

#2 ·
Note to new Elise & Exige Owners:

1. These cars have large (i.e. dangerous) blind spots. Multivex mirrors are NLA, but RLS (Really Light Stuff) offers very good tape-on replacements.

2. The horns are way too weak (quiet). There’s an inverse relationship: smaller the car, louder the horn needs to be.

Get something such as a Stebel Nautilus.

Stock: “Excuse me”

Stebel: “HONK! LOOK OUT!”

Remove the stock horn; replace with louder.

(I drive with my finger on the horn button in any traffic. Iffy situations, my headlights are on.

Stay to the left of traffic, i.e. avoid passing on the right if you can.

Stop way behind trucks, SUVs, etc. Some have blindspots >50’. )

3. The early cars came with misaimed and dim headlights. If you drive at night, convert to HIDs. While better than stock halogen bulbs are available, HIDs throw more light. Stay around 5000k.

4. Ensure your car has had the work required by the recall for oil line fittings done. You could lose an engine and/or spin in your own oil.

5. The best transmission lube I’ve found is Redline MT-90 plus a little Power Punch Extreme Gear Oil Additive. (Note that it takes two changes to get rid of the previous lube.)

a) Early cars have wobbly shift towers. Look up Stan’s Mod (bolt and spacer; http://www.billswebspace.com/ShifterReinforcement.pdf) and

Re-Enforcer long thru bolts that terminate under car and tie down the tower:
https://www.inokinetic.com/lotus/re-enforcer?category=Transmission

These (lube, mods) make a huge change in shifting.

6. As per some engine builders on these sites, wait AT LEAST 20 minutes after coolant has reached full operating temp before engaging cam switchover.

7. Rear toe-links can loosen and break with disastrous results. You can check tq periodically, or use Nordlock washers. Best is conversion to better engineered brace, such as BOE’s for one example.

8. While under the car with panel off, look around for hoses and wires chafing their way to failure. That’s how this was found:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f311/cooling-ticking-timebomb-how-your-cooling-u-tube-47232/

9. The stock radiators are prone to leaking where the end caps meet the metal part. Keep an eye on this. Most of us use single-pass all-aluminum radiators.

10. When your wheel well liner comes loose, skip the lame plastic rivet and use Well-Nuts instead.

11. Life will be better if you disable the auto-arming alarm function on the earlier cars. You won’t have to press a button to start the car. Instructions:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f320/remote-key-fob-immobilizer-misc-alarm-programming-70940/

12. These cars cannot be left off a Battery Tender for weeks at a time. Unless dead batteries are a particular joy of yours. Buy one right away. There are numerous threads here about which ppl use and like.

Some on this site are a bit obsessed with hockey pucks for lifting the car. Don’t use these. Too hard and slippery, generally, and too small a surface area. Use a piece of wood, as your hero does.

13. Visit the Uber Thread

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/elise-exige-uberpost-read-everything-you-need-know-here-25131/

14. Most parts on the car are made by Toyota and others, so buying things like a/c compressors, engine parts, etc. is wildly expensive when purchased thru Lotus.

Toyota dealers, auto parts stores are way less expensive.

-----

Plus:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/how-bleed-brakes-241138/

How to Search:

For future reference: Don't use the search on this site. Simply use Google and end the search text with "site:lotustalk.com". E.g.
Transmission Fluid change what bolt site:lotustalk.com no space betw site:lotustalk.com

#4 ·
A few additional points to consider:

Replace the batteries in the key fobs, then re-sync. This helps to avoid issues with arming/disarming the alarm as well as central locking.

I wouldn't worry about the brake pads unless they're worn or contaminated. Brake pads don't age just sitting there.

When you bleed the brakes, remember that the clutch uses the same reservoir. Bleed the clutch first.

Unless records show it's been done already, you have a 13 year old accessory belt. Add that to the list.

#6 ·
Check to see if the oil line recall has been done, if unsure call Lotus USA with your vin number in hand, they will be able to tell you. :smile2:

#7 ·
I'd also make sure your tires are OK.

FWIW i had been putting off replacing the radiator on my 06 exige, but it just sprung a leak last weekend. Luckily, it was after the event while i was unloading the car from my trailer once home, but i guess it goes to show they can go bad at any time.

+1 on the oil line recall.

Also check the suspension bolts for torque. http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/suspension-torque-diagrams-95601/

have fun

#9 · (Edited)
Replace the wheel lug screws with BMW screws. They are lighter and you can throw away that special wrench...also saves weight! Then you can use any 17mm socket for your lug wrench.
Go dig out that tool and a take a close look at it. I bet you that it is already plasticly deformed where the 6-point star meets the shank. It will fail. It is not a question of "if", but "when". Save yourself any future headaches by replacing the lug screws ASAP.
Lotus Elise Modification, Installing BMW Lug Nuts

#11 ·
Here is a run down of pricing for these services (southern cal, indipendant shop- are these prices fair??)

Engine oil and filter using Motul 0W40 and Toyota filter $125

Transmission service using Redline MT90 $110

Radiator flush using Toyota OE coolant $110

Brake fluid flush using Motul RBF600 $125

OE Drive belt $200 parts and labor

OE Air filter $85 parts and labor

Alignment $90

#12 ·
The engine oil change, transmission fluid flush, brake fluid flush, drive belt and air filter service all sound kinda high. Each one of these can be done, in your garage, on jack stands (you don't need a lift) with tools you probably already have. The air filter and drive belt services are fiddly PITA's, but can be done yourself.

The radiator flush is more time consuming than $110 in labor will cover. At least, if it's going to be done well.

Alignment sounds ok. Results are dependent upon the skill of the tech doing the work.

#13 ·
I really dont have the time between work and kids.. so if these prices are fair, ill have it done.. just got the Lotus, so not sure what service prices are, im used to BMW M cars, which cost me nothing but tires and oil changes, contrary to all the fear of issues depicted online

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.