The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Oil question/recommendations

6K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  exigegus 
#1 ·
08 S240 Exige, shopping for the right oil.

1. I see recommendations for "Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic Diesel Motor Oil" but can only find "Shell Rotella (550019921) T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic, Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil (CJ-4)". Are these the same?

2. I see some folks are using "Mobil 1 120782 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Synthetic Motor Oil"...is this better or worse than the Shell Rotella?

3. Is the "Mobil 1 M1-209" oil filter still considered the best to get?

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
I'm a new Exige owner and just recently went through this same decision. Below is a comparison I put together of the products recommended by several experts. Keep in mind ZDDP content needs to taken into account to lessen the risk of cam wipe.

Since my car is heavily modded and mostly BOE products I went with Phil's recommendation. The previous owner ran Castrol Syntec Edge Oil (5W/30) for 50k miles without issue (to my knowledge).

Lotus specifically recommends Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W/50, and Castrol Edge 10W/60 and 1100 parts per million of ZDDP or more.

Product Comparison

Shell Rotella T6 (5W40) - 1200ppm ZDDP "avoid if you haven't gone de-cat" Forum comments - not sure why.
Mobile1 (0w40) - Euro Spec
Castrol Edge sport (10W/60) - Lotus recommendation for track on Evora
Redline 40wt (15w/40) - 2250ppm ZDDP Phil @ BOE recommends

#13 ·
The high zinc and phosphorous can over time damage the cat by coating the precious metals in it. This takes a long time. Even royal purple only reccomends their xp line if car is out of warranty. I have always used redline 10-40 without issue. I also use Redline mt-90 in tranny and am happy. I am de-catted though

#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.