The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Please HELP!!! Could this be a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) issue

13K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Smoky 
#1 ·
Please help. My 06 Elise has been having some problems. When the car is warmed up, once a while the engine would cut out around 3000-35000 rpm. The rpm would drop sharply and instantly it would come back up. I thought it was an AC relay related issues, so I replaced the AC relay. But unfortunately the issues still occur.

Symptoms of the issue:
1. Sometimes it hesitates to accelerate pass 3000 rpm, and sometimes it stumbles during acceleration pass 3000 rpm (both happens when the engine is warmed up).
2. Poor gas mileage. 160 miles for a full tank of gas.
3. No check engine light

I did more research, and the symptoms of my car sound like a throttle position sensor (TPS) issue. So I cleaned the MAF and the butterfly, but the problem still exists. My next step is to try replacing the TPS. My question is:

1. Could it be a TPS issue?
2. Can I just replace the TPS without replacing the whole throttle body?
3. Could this also related to the Electronic Throttle Assembly, the piece attached the gas pedal?

Your help is greatly appreciated. THANKS.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Just the off the wall thought. Possibly an egr valve. Here are symptom problems with a 92 accord with a bad egr.

"Hesitation, a shudder in the lower RPM range when you hit the throttle quickly or rev the car shudder will dissappear as RPM climbs. Pop through the exhaust when the rpms drop back down after reving the motor at about 1000 rpm. Shudder at cruising speeds 50 to 60 MPH or when RPM range is between 1200 and 2000. If it persists you will get CEL (Check Engine Light ) code 12. You will find that sometimes the CEL will come on while driving and then reset once you shut engine off and then start back up. If not to bad it will not set off CEL but you can still get the same symptoms affecting drivability. Easy way to tell slowly raise your rpm with throttle and if it doesnt studder that way but does if you rev fast Its either your EGR valve or the EGR ports need to be cleaned. If you do a search for EGR port cleaning there are several great guides on the internet that can tell you step by step how to do it."

my truck hes a bad egr and it will stall or drop close to stall around2000 rpm. Never any issues beyond that and mostly when the truck is cold. But sometime when it is warm it has an extremely rough idle.

#4 ·
Elise and Exige don't have an egr.

#8 ·
Another idea would be to pull the coil packs and check those.
Symptoms for a bad coil can be similar to what you described.

Just another stab in the dark though...

#9 ·
My symptoms were different but my 06 throttle body did just come apart inside. remove the plastic cover...pop off the clips around it(6 I think) and just pull the cover straight off. Make sure the 3 screws holding in the electric motor are tight, it might even be worth it to remove them and add loctite and then reassemble to be safe. They are a security torx bit. all 3 of the screws came completely out of mine and it caused all kinds of weird problems until a screw fell into the gear and caused the throttle to stick open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.