Please HELP!!! Could this be a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) issue - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Please HELP!!! Could this be a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) issue

Please help. My 06 Elise has been having some problems. When the car is warmed up, once a while the engine would cut out around 3000-35000 rpm. The rpm would drop sharply and instantly it would come back up. I thought it was an AC relay related issues, so I replaced the AC relay. But unfortunately the issues still occur.

Symptoms of the issue:
1. Sometimes it hesitates to accelerate pass 3000 rpm, and sometimes it stumbles during acceleration pass 3000 rpm (both happens when the engine is warmed up).
2. Poor gas mileage. 160 miles for a full tank of gas.
3. No check engine light

I did more research, and the symptoms of my car sound like a throttle position sensor (TPS) issue. So I cleaned the MAF and the butterfly, but the problem still exists. My next step is to try replacing the TPS. My question is:

1. Could it be a TPS issue?
2. Can I just replace the TPS without replacing the whole throttle body?
3. Could this also related to the Electronic Throttle Assembly, the piece attached the gas pedal?

Your help is greatly appreciated. THANKS.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 09:44 PM

Try to double check the MAF, replace the MAF with a for sure good one as it is cheap compare to the Throttle body (if yours is a DBW).

If yours is a cable version then you can just replace the TPS.

S240 Exige S with BOE FW300 + over 40 mods
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 04:25 PM

Just the off the wall thought. Possibly an egr valve. Here are symptom problems with a 92 accord with a bad egr.

"Hesitation, a shudder in the lower RPM range when you hit the throttle quickly or rev the car shudder will dissappear as RPM climbs. Pop through the exhaust when the rpms drop back down after reving the motor at about 1000 rpm. Shudder at cruising speeds 50 to 60 MPH or when RPM range is between 1200 and 2000. If it persists you will get CEL (Check Engine Light ) code 12. You will find that sometimes the CEL will come on while driving and then reset once you shut engine off and then start back up. If not to bad it will not set off CEL but you can still get the same symptoms affecting drivability. Easy way to tell slowly raise your rpm with throttle and if it doesnt studder that way but does if you rev fast Its either your EGR valve or the EGR ports need to be cleaned. If you do a search for EGR port cleaning there are several great guides on the internet that can tell you step by step how to do it."

my truck hes a bad egr and it will stall or drop close to stall around2000 rpm. Never any issues beyond that and mostly when the truck is cold. But sometime when it is warm it has an extremely rough idle.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 04:41 PM

Elise and Exige don't have an egr.

07 Exige S - PhB., TP, TP, LSD, Gotham, 2Bular Revised Header, 2Bular De-Cat, 2Bular 8x24 Burnt GT3, Cup Car Intake, 6k HID's, Schroth 4pt ASM Harnesses, Milled Steering Arms, Bronze Volk TE37, Carbon Craftsquare Mirrors, Reverie 5 Element Diffuser, Reverie Exige Race Front Spoiler, APR Canards, IMRP Side Skirts, Blackwatch Studs w/ Project Kics K40 Lugs, DBA 5000 Rotors, Goodridge lines, Sparco Wheel w/ Works Bell Quick Release.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:10 PM

Eh. Stab in the dark.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:19 PM

you could use a multi meter to test the tps.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your input.

dark_fairytales: Would it be difficult to test the TPS with a multi meter since it does not happen all the time. Honestly, the problem occurs like once or twice a week.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 02:03 AM
German Reimport

Another idea would be to pull the coil packs and check those.
Symptoms for a bad coil can be similar to what you described.

Just another stab in the dark though...

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 02:28 AM

My symptoms were different but my 06 throttle body did just come apart inside. remove the plastic cover...pop off the clips around it(6 I think) and just pull the cover straight off. Make sure the 3 screws holding in the electric motor are tight, it might even be worth it to remove them and add loctite and then reassemble to be safe. They are a security torx bit. all 3 of the screws came completely out of mine and it caused all kinds of weird problems until a screw fell into the gear and caused the throttle to stick open.

rightseatdriver.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 08:50 AM

The screws were identified by Lotus as an issue on older cars. Not a big enough issue to warrant a recall, but I believe Lotus did start using blue loctite on the screws in late 2006/early 2007.

amber
06'CO Exige
If in doubt....flat out!!!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babykangaroo View Post
Thanks everyone for your input.

dark_fairytales: Would it be difficult to test the TPS with a multi meter since it does not happen all the time. Honestly, the problem occurs like once or twice a week.
you would find the info. you looking for in the Factory Service Manual. The explanation is pretty strait forward and will give you a all the info you need to make sure the tps is in good shape or not.

I also agree about the coil packs, I should have thought of that one.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 12:42 AM

any updates?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2018, 03:31 AM

Garage
Bravo sir. I often want to call out threads without conclusion, regardless of age. But I just don't have the cajones to face the music you might be about to receive.

-Smoky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in