The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Prob stupid question: How far should I go to fit these hoses?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Smoky 
#1 ·
I purchased a new alloy radiator for my Exige S and decided that since she is a 2007 and 11 years old that I would change as many coolant hoses as I could.

I didn't think the front hoses were going to be the problem children!

I purchased a set of silicone hoses from Forge Motorsport (currently waiting on their support to get back to me).

The hoses are well made and beautiful, but they don't fit. They are too thick to fit the lower connection to the sill pipes. The area between the sill pipe connection and the crash structure is too tight to accommodate the thick ply of these hoses!

So, dumb question that I suspect I already know the answer to:

Is it a really bad idea to dremel/elongate the lower hose pass-through point to create more space around the sill pipe outlets? I would love to use these thicker, lined silicone hoses to match front and rear but the thinner-walled oem hoses did last 11 years so I could just as easily go back to those.

Thoughts? If I open up that hole will the engine fall out? Will I be ejected from the cockpit if I hit a pothole? Or will it compromise the structure in an unintended way?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
The issue with making the lower tube holes larger is that in my experience, the grommet around the pipes is a pretty tight fit and holds the pipes in place which helps with hose installation. If the pipes were loose, I'd be worried that it would make installing the hoses more difficult. ...but I don't know what's going on behind the bulkhead.

#3 ·
The issue with making the lower tube holes larger is that in my experience, the grommet around the pipes is a pretty tight fit and holds the pipes in place which helps with hose installation. If the pipes were loose, I'd be worried that it would make installing the hoses more difficult.
S...but I don't know what's going on behind the bulkhead.
Here is a pic. I am asking about trimming the rearward side of the hole, not the foreward part where the bend is resting.

Attachments

#7 ·
Figured it made sense to change out the hoses while I was upgrading the radiator, also for preventative maintenance. Prev owner let the car sit for a few years.

No signs of oil leaks in front, recall was also completed. I fixed the oil pan leak in the rear and the rest is tight. I know what you mean, but am not too worried about oil leaks.

Will prob just order a set of new oem for front and attempt to use the Forge kit in the rear. They apparently have one hose expert at Forge and they are out until Monday. Measuring with my caliper it looks like they just went one ply larger than stock which was too much for this space. Maybe they have a smaller OD hose but I doubt it.

#9 · (Edited)
Good link! Definitely a useful read for someone who is just starting out and doesn't know anything about silicone vs rubber hoses. Doesn't add much here but a good read nonetheless.

Went ahead and just ordered oem hoses for the front. Rear hoses are going on much more smoothly. Getting the old ones off is the PITA but it's not so bad one you start peeling them away. Just take lots of pics as you go! More so to remember all the zip tie points :D :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.