The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Probably a stupid question, but....

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Mad MaTTer 
#1 ·
...what happens if I just remove this (and leave the solenoid hooked up and in place?)

See less See more
#2 ·
Although I have not seen the charcoal vacuum canister on our Elise, that sure looks like one. I have experience with this system on other vehicles enough to know that when the intake manifold vacuum is high (during idle) the vacuum solenoid is closed. It opens under higher RPM's by the ECU which is monitoring (vapor) flow back from the gas tank through an in line flow sensor. This is all balanced by the gas cap seal and the fresh air inlet (on some vehicles, also under solenoid valve control). The fuel vapor recovery system is throttling evaporated gasoline into the intake manifold with the charcoal canister catching any droplets or impurities. Toyota also employs a fuel tank vapor pressure sensor as part of this system. If you bypass it, you may run rich without the ECU's ability to control it. I do know that if the ECU doesn't see flow when the solenoid is open and none when closed, you will throw a C E L (check engine light) within a few drive cycles. There is a list of different error codes that can originate. I hope this helps you.

#3 ·
Thanks. I will have to to some testing to see if it can be removed all togheter (leaving the rear valve with its sensor in place) or if I should get some hoses, hose clamps and just reposition it...
I want the real estate for my battery.....

#4 ·
One more question.... Is this system pressurized in any way, or can I cut the couplings off the hoses and extend them with, say, duct tape?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.