Soft top liner issues. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Soft top liner issues.

I noticed soft top came off from the inside locking portion of the mechanism console. It seems as if it wasn't glued too well onto the inside portion of the solid piece on the passenger side. Any one else had this problem?

In retrospect, I think taking the soft top off and rolling the top so the exterior faces outwards will reduce the tension on the soft interior section.

I was rolling it with the soft side facing out so dirt and dust wouldn't get on the exterior rag top.

There is no mention in the manual for a correct way to roll it up before you place it in the draw string cover they provide. Hmmm...... Other than that NO issues at all!

03 H2 Yellow,05 Elise Ardent, Hardtop, Touring
05 BMW K1200 LT,56 190SL Convertible/Balck/Black
05 1/2 Giallo Orion Murci Roadstr,06 Ducatti 800 SSFF
008 Busa 1300; 2008 BMW 328ix; 08 Ferrari F430 Spider,09 GTR Skyline, Gun Metalic Rocks! 2007 E 63AMG Black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 08:00 AM

Happened to me on the driver side.

I went to my dealership yesterday and they said Lotus informed them that this was a common problem and they would replace any soft top that this happened to. Dealership is ordering me one at no cost to me, which is a relief.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 09:23 AM

I just came back from the dealer 15 minutes ago from my 1000 mile service. They told me they are ordering a new top for me since this happened to my top as well. I did not even tell them that the top had a problem. I was just tucking it in.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globecom
I noticed soft top came off from the inside locking portion of the mechanism console. It seems as if it wasn't glued too well onto the inside portion of the solid piece on the passenger side. Any one else had this problem?

In retrospect, I think taking the soft top off and rolling the top so the exterior faces outwards will reduce the tension on the soft interior section.

I was rolling it with the soft side facing out so dirt and dust wouldn't get on the exterior rag top.

There is no mention in the manual for a correct way to roll it up before you place it in the draw string cover they provide. Hmmm...... Other than that NO issues at all!
Warranty bro... had the same issue. Had car in for service, brought up the issue, came back from lunch, had a new top! Good thing it's a warranty issue... the Touring Soft Top on a Elise costs $1500!

Neil

WTF people?
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 10:30 AM

Mine has aready been replaced as well....... Pretty poor quality control..... Everyone should check theirs out as make sure they don't have the same problem.......

Russ
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 10:31 AM

Mine was replaced a few months ago, for just that reason.

BTW: I believe I did see info from Lotus somewhere (manual or posting here) saying you should roll with the liner inside. It's a pain in the neck, but a number of people here have previously posted that that's what they do, so that's what I now do.

My other car is an MR2 Spyder.
My other other car is a Segway.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 05:56 AM Thread Starter

What better reason to visit LA

in my Eli see for a new top!

Neil... which dealer did you bring her into? Phone number?

Did they have a replacement in stock? If not, how long before you got a new one?

Well, at leat I am not the only one with some top issues. ( Ha ha. )

03 H2 Yellow,05 Elise Ardent, Hardtop, Touring
05 BMW K1200 LT,56 190SL Convertible/Balck/Black
05 1/2 Giallo Orion Murci Roadstr,06 Ducatti 800 SSFF
008 Busa 1300; 2008 BMW 328ix; 08 Ferrari F430 Spider,09 GTR Skyline, Gun Metalic Rocks! 2007 E 63AMG Black.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 06:17 AM

Great news. Mine is doing this as well, happy to see that Lotus making good. (Maybe I'm just excited b/c I've never had a car with warranty before.)
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 07:23 AM

Mine did this on the passenger side first - I just glued it back in and it has been fine since.

Now the drivers side is doing the same thing though

2005 Lotus Elise: Saffron Yellow, Touring (#2244)
2002 Subaru WRX
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Did they have a replacement in stock? If not, how long before you got a new one?

Well, at leat I am not the only one with some top issues. ( Ha ha. )
Newport European... call 949 270 1000 talk to Darrell

I'll call you later...

Neil

WTF people?
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 01:34 PM

Have the same problem, I'm glad others are reporting it, because, how else would they know a problem? It is an easy fix, there is a post here about it. I plan on having it addressed under warranty as well.

Babak
Club111 Central Plains Coordinator

'05 Elise - Touring, HT, StarShield
'99 Ducati 996 Bip
'05 Freelander SE
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 01:37 PM

Same problem with mine. I am surprised that they are replacing the soft top instead of just glueing it back together at the dealer. It was obviously a poor glue job.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH
Same problem with mine. I am surprised that they are replacing the soft top instead of just glueing it back together at the dealer. It was obviously a poor glue job.
I think it goes beyond that to a poor design. This is gonna cost them a fortune!

post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 03:01 PM

Ditto on both sides. When I had it in for the 1k mile check they had someone in their shop fix it up for me and it was ready when I picked the car up that afternoon. Haven't had any problems since. Symbolic LJ service department.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-27-2005, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash
Ditto on both sides. When I had it in for the 1k mile check they had someone in their shop fix it up for me and it was ready when I picked the car up that afternoon. Haven't had any problems since. Symbolic LJ service department.
Symbolic is my local dealer, so they will probably do the same for me. They just needed stronger glue (or simply more of it) that doesn't damage the top in some other way. The liner itself can stretch a bit.
post #16 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 06:48 PM

They should use the glue they use to stick the clear plastic over the hole in the door--now that's glue.
Trip
post #17 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 07:26 PM

I went to the dealer today about the top and he looked at it and said dont worry, we will contact lotus about if it should be replaced or repaired but to just give him a call when im ready to give it up. Sounds about the same story as the rest..

2005 Lotus Elise, Starlight Black, Touring, Porterfield R4, 4Tress Harness Bar w/Schroth 4 pt, Braille B2015, 15k miles, Now with LSS! <-- SOLD
2006 Toyota 4Runner SR5 V6, 12k miles, 7 seats, 20.9 avg mpg
post #18 of 53 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 01:23 AM

Quote:

Oh, sorry! Just saw this. My dealer was Criswell, in Gaithersburg, MD. They didn't have it in stock, but it only took a few days.

It's nice to see they're being replaced under warranty, but I have to assume the replacement will suffer the same fate. Pretty soon, we'll be taking surveys to see who has had the most soft top replacements.

Lotus had better come up with a fix real fast. I don't think better glue is the answer, cause when you glue fabric to anything that takes any stress at all, you can pretty much expect it to come loose over time.

post #19 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 07:18 AM

This just happened to me last night -- liner came undone from both sides. I've effectively had the car six days and have probably removed and replaced the soft top as many times.

Also, I noticed that the solid piece (with the arrows on it) on the passenger side is broken -- it's just being held together by the vinyl cover glued to the thing.

post #20 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowSnake
This just happened to me last night
The Aztec Bronze surfaces!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in