LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-26-2005, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekological
The Aztec Bronze surfaces!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 06:14 AM

I have had the same problems metioned here!!

I just got my car 4 days ago and it happened.

Dealer said bring it in........they would swap it with a brand new one from another car and it would be covered under warranty on their side.

2002 Mini Cooper S.....Traded
2000 S2000.......Traded
2005 BRG Elise, Touring, Hardtop, Starshield....5-24-05
2006 AB Mini Cooper S....12-15-06
"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin."
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-28-2005, 06:58 AM

Looks like TADTS...

Same here, liner on touring soft top partially detached from one side. Scottsdale Lotus say and they will re-glue it when I come in for my 1,000 mile service.

Agree with earlier poster that perhaps rolling it up with outside of top facing out would put less stress on the glue, but I don't recall seeing any guidance to that effect anywhere else.

Oh, and don't use your soft top for this:

05 SY 4/28/2005 - 3/17/2006 - RIP
06 SY 5/6/2006 - 10/29/09 - SOLD

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner
Agree with earlier poster that perhaps rolling it up with outside of top facing out would put less stress on the glue, but I don't recall seeing any guidance to that effect anywhere else.
I believe it's in the owner's manual. I recall seeing it in print from Lotus somewhere.

My other car is an MR2 Spyder.
My other other car is a Segway.
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 05-29-2005, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globecom
I noticed soft top came off from the inside locking portion of the mechanism console. It seems as if it wasn't glued too well onto the inside portion of the solid piece on the passenger side. Any one else had this problem?

In retrospect, I think taking the soft top off and rolling the top so the exterior faces outwards will reduce the tension on the soft interior section.

I was rolling it with the soft side facing out so dirt and dust wouldn't get on the exterior rag top.

There is no mention in the manual for a correct way to roll it up before you place it in the draw string cover they provide. Hmmm...... Other than that NO issues at all!
Yeh, I think rolling it up from one end with the liner out will really stress the liner, and putting it in the bag like that will pull on it some more. I always roll mine up to the midsection (i.e. from each side) with the exterior out. It then goes into the bag very easily and no issues at all with leaks, tears, or anything. When I go to put it back on, I lay the entire thing over the center of the opening, unroll the half to the left side and attach it, then walk around the car to unroll the rest and attach it to the right side. Might sound a bit tricky, but it really isn't.
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 03:04 AM

Top delaminating

I also experienced the top defect.The soft liner was separating and the plastic side molding that houses locking mechanism popped loose.
The dealer inspected and replaced top immediately...
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 05:35 PM

When I picked up my car the liner was separating and the salesman replaced it with the one from their show model which was fine (I checked).

Two months later (today) I put the soft top on for the first time and now this top is separating.

This car is great but there are diffenately some QC issues.
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-09-2005, 07:54 PM

I got my soft top replaced due to the liner separation issue, and since have been extremely careful to roll it up with liner on the inside, yet it has once again become separated. A little disappointing but I hope they will not charge me for fixing it again.
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 04:13 AM

My liner has separated and sags badly when the top is in place, but the edges have not come away anywhere- are all the replacements due to the edges coming loose?

Join Club 111
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _JD_
My liner has separated and sags badly when the top is in place, but the edges have not come away anywhere- are all the replacements due to the edges coming loose?
That's the first I've heard of sagging. All the other posts have been edges coming loose. This must have cost Lotus a friggin fortune in replacements.

My other car is an MR2 Spyder.
My other other car is a Segway.
post #31 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 06:52 AM

Same thing with my top, but I'm not sure it's worth replacing. Both sides were sagging due to the glue giving out, so I helped the process out. The roof still works great without the liner at all.

'05 Yellow, LSS, Touring
post #32 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Baker
Same thing with my top, but I'm not sure it's worth replacing. Both sides were sagging due to the glue giving out, so I helped the process out. The roof still works great without the liner at all.
Mr Baker, awsome avitar picture of the kids in the boot. I guess you really have a need for the emergency pull lever.
post #33 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Baker
I eventually ended up doing the same thing myself -- too hard to drive with the liner hanging in your face!

I assume the primary purpose of the liner is for sound-deadening purposes. I can't say I notice any difference with and without the liner. OTOH, I wonder how much thermal insulation the liner provides -- the noon-day sun is mighty stong down here and the AC can use all the help it can get!
post #34 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 07:16 AM
jac

Thermal insulation was my only reason for keeping it on.
post #35 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-10-2005, 12:37 PM

like jac

the thermal benefits are there.

The liner fell out of mine as well. I did notice it was hotter in the car with out the liner. Probably has benies with the A/C too. Noise is not an issue either the radio is up - way up - or the guy next to me is screaming so loud I can hear the road noise.

have fun

Nick
post #36 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 11:24 AM

Just FYI,

I just got my soft top replaced today, I had reported the problem about a month ago but couldn't get over there until today, and the service guys mentioned that Lotus has stopped replacing these and has asked the dealers to fix (reglue) them now, not sure if that's true for all cases/situations but just wanted to pass along the info.

-Richard
--------------------
92 VRF - Black (for sale )
00 M5 - Anthracite/black+silver/titanium trim
00 Insight - Silver (63mpg life time average)
00 540iA -Oxford Green (wife's car)
05 Elise - Magnetic Blue/Biscuit, sport+touring
post #37 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 11:27 AM

Hopefully the glue they use to bond the chassis together is better than the glue they use to bond the soft top to the side beams and the hard top cover to the velcro thingie...
post #38 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsouthern
Just FYI,

I just got my soft top replaced today, I had reported the problem about a month ago but couldn't get over there until today, and the service guys mentioned that Lotus has stopped replacing these and has asked the dealers to fix (reglue) them now, not sure if that's true for all cases/situations but just wanted to pass along the info.
My dealer just re-glued mine this week when I had it in (to re-fix my oil leak). For whatever reason, the top doesn't roll the same as it use to. The liner is a lot tauter than the canvas roof, so the roof ends up "buckling" when I roll it up.

Last edited by SnowSnake; 06-17-2005 at 04:29 AM.
post #39 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowSnake
For whatever reason, the top doesn't roll the same as it use to. The liner is a lot taughter than the canvas roof, so the roof ends up "buckling" when I roll it up.
Same with mine. I think I got a repaired roof as well. As long as the liner doesn't come back out, I don't really care. Besides, it's off most of the time anyways!
post #40 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 07:10 PM

i had my car for a day and when i got home and took off the roof i noticed it was separated (this all happened about 6 months ago). HRM gave me a replacement roof on the spot....the new roof seems to be much better....but i dont use the roof....i keep it off while the car is in the garage....if the weather is bad enough to need the roof...i take another car.

2005 Ardent Touring Elise,
should i keep it or sell it?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in