The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Soft top liner issues.

8K views 52 replies 34 participants last post by  Terminus 
#1 ·
I noticed soft top came off from the inside locking portion of the mechanism console. It seems as if it wasn't glued too well onto the inside portion of the solid piece on the passenger side. Any one else had this problem?

In retrospect, I think taking the soft top off and rolling the top so the exterior faces outwards will reduce the tension on the soft interior section.

I was rolling it with the soft side facing out so dirt and dust wouldn't get on the exterior rag top.

There is no mention in the manual for a correct way to roll it up before you place it in the draw string cover they provide. Hmmm...... Other than that NO issues at all!

#4 ·
globecom said:
I noticed soft top came off from the inside locking portion of the mechanism console. It seems as if it wasn't glued too well onto the inside portion of the solid piece on the passenger side. Any one else had this problem?

In retrospect, I think taking the soft top off and rolling the top so the exterior faces outwards will reduce the tension on the soft interior section.

I was rolling it with the soft side facing out so dirt and dust wouldn't get on the exterior rag top.

There is no mention in the manual for a correct way to roll it up before you place it in the draw string cover they provide. Hmmm...... Other than that NO issues at all!
Warranty bro... had the same issue. Had car in for service, brought up the issue, came back from lunch, had a new top! Good thing it's a warranty issue... the Touring Soft Top on a Elise costs $1500! :crazyeyes

Neil

#6 ·
Mine was replaced a few months ago, for just that reason.

BTW: I believe I did see info from Lotus somewhere (manual or posting here) saying you should roll with the liner inside. It's a pain in the neck, but a number of people here have previously posted that that's what they do, so that's what I now do.

#7 ·
What better reason to visit LA

in my Eli see for a new top!

Neil... which dealer did you bring her into? Phone number?

Did they have a replacement in stock? If not, how long before you got a new one?

Well, at leat I am not the only one with some top issues. ( Ha ha. ) ;)

#10 ·
globecom said:

Did they have a replacement in stock? If not, how long before you got a new one?

Well, at leat I am not the only one with some top issues. ( Ha ha. ) ;)
Newport European... call 949 270 1000 talk to Darrell

I'll call you later...

Neil

#11 ·
Have the same problem, I'm glad others are reporting it, because, how else would they know a problem? It is an easy fix, there is a post here about it. I plan on having it addressed under warranty as well.

#15 ·
Crash said:
Ditto on both sides. When I had it in for the 1k mile check they had someone in their shop fix it up for me and it was ready when I picked the car up that afternoon. Haven't had any problems since. Symbolic LJ service department.
Symbolic is my local dealer, so they will probably do the same for me. They just needed stronger glue (or simply more of it) that doesn't damage the top in some other way. The liner itself can stretch a bit.

#17 ·
I went to the dealer today about the top and he looked at it and said dont worry, we will contact lotus about if it should be replaced or repaired but to just give him a call when im ready to give it up. Sounds about the same story as the rest..

#18 ·
globecom said:

Oh, sorry! Just saw this. My dealer was Criswell, in Gaithersburg, MD. They didn't have it in stock, but it only took a few days.

It's nice to see they're being replaced under warranty, but I have to assume the replacement will suffer the same fate. Pretty soon, we'll be taking surveys to see who has had the most soft top replacements. :(

Lotus had better come up with a fix real fast. I don't think better glue is the answer, cause when you glue fabric to anything that takes any stress at all, you can pretty much expect it to come loose over time.

#19 ·
This just happened to me last night -- liner came undone from both sides. I've effectively had the car six days and have probably removed and replaced the soft top as many times.

Also, I noticed that the solid piece (with the arrows on it) on the passenger side is broken -- it's just being held together by the vinyl cover glued to the thing.

:(

#22 ·
I have had the same problems metioned here!!

I just got my car 4 days ago and it happened.

Dealer said bring it in........they would swap it with a brand new one from another car and it would be covered under warranty on their side.

#23 ·
Looks like TADTS...

Same here, liner on touring soft top partially detached from one side. Scottsdale Lotus say :tadts: and they will re-glue it when I come in for my 1,000 mile service.

Agree with earlier poster that perhaps rolling it up with outside of top facing out would put less stress on the glue, but I don't recall seeing any guidance to that effect anywhere else.

Oh, and don't use your soft top for this: :sheep:

#24 ·
roadrunner said:
Agree with earlier poster that perhaps rolling it up with outside of top facing out would put less stress on the glue, but I don't recall seeing any guidance to that effect anywhere else.
I believe it's in the owner's manual. I recall seeing it in print from Lotus somewhere.

#25 ·
globecom said:

Yeh, I think rolling it up from one end with the liner out will really stress the liner, and putting it in the bag like that will pull on it some more. I always roll mine up to the midsection (i.e. from each side) with the exterior out. It then goes into the bag very easily and no issues at all with leaks, tears, or anything. When I go to put it back on, I lay the entire thing over the center of the opening, unroll the half to the left side and attach it, then walk around the car to unroll the rest and attach it to the right side. Might sound a bit tricky, but it really isn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.