Sounds like squirrels fighting in my car! - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Closer than you think

Garage
Sounds like squirrels fighting in my car!

On the 4 hour drive to have my oil lines replaced, my car developed a horrible squeak/screech that seems to emanate from somewhere near, and possibly above, the driver footwell.

Sometimes it sounds like squirrels barking, and sometimes it sounds like the back and forth of a hip-hop DJ's turntable on high volume. Always it is associated with bumps in the road and it seems somewhat worse when the car is turning. It comes on as the car warms up... 90 plus degrees lately.

I had the tech at the dealership inspect the front suspension as possible during the oil line fix, but aside with some issues with clam shims he did not report anything remarkable.

Any ideas?

2005 BRP Elise Sport, Hardtop, Stage 2 Exhaust, CF side scoops, CF splitter, Composite Worx seats, gunmetal stripes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 01:59 PM

This reminds me of the Brian Regan skit where he says "Imagine after spending weeks at sea studying whale mating calls you realize it's just the cabin door squeaking" LOL
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 04:35 PM

Wheel well liner rubbing?

05 Elise
56 VW Dune Buggy

GGLC-Sacramento Chapter Membership and Recruiting
[email protected]

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 02:29 PM

Check where the seat-belt (female buckle) contacts the passenger seat. The acoustics of the cabin make it difficult to localize some of these sounds and it can trick your ear.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-25-2013, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Closer than you think

Garage
Found it! I sprayed the two universal joints in the steering column (above the foot box) with WD-40 and it went right away!

Killed the squirrels.

2005 BRP Elise Sport, Hardtop, Stage 2 Exhaust, CF side scoops, CF splitter, Composite Worx seats, gunmetal stripes
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 04:12 PM

You may want to consider using a different lubricant, WD-40 is not designed as a lubricant, and you'll likely have the issue come back in a short amount of time.

Phantom Black 2007 Exige S
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 06:27 PM

Use Triflow, that stuff rocks and it smells like banana!! Much better as a lube than the wd.. And the squirrels may be replaced with monkeys after a few weeks.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Closer than you think

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman66 View Post
You may want to consider using a different lubricant, WD-40 is not designed as a lubricant, and you'll likely have the issue come back in a short amount of time.
True. I used the WD because I could reach the joints with the long applicator. Even then I only barely extricated myself from under the foot well as I was bent like a pretzel to reach in there.

Next time I have one of my kids do the job...

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-26-2013, 06:53 PM

Please note that no squirrels were harmed in the making of this thread.

2006 Elise, Aspen White, red interior, LSS, Touring, S111 Katana SC, Reverie CF scoops
2006 Lamborghini Gallardo, Rosso Leto / Ivory - another rare color combo sheesh, I'm drooling over my own car.
2006 red Mustang GT convertible, stock - wife's fun car
2009 Toyota Rav4 - winter car, also for carrying anything larger than a 2-slot toaster
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 03:53 PM
Yellow Fever!

Your squirrels must have left your car to nest in mine!

I'm hearing something between a rattle and a squeak that seems to also be transmitted through the steering column. It's mostly noted at lower speeds, worse when the car goes over bumps, or in turning the wheel. I lubed the steering joints visible above the foot-well to no avail.

Any ideas?

--Doug Stratton--

'05 Elise in Saffron Yellow ,Sport pack, ForceFed Intake, Stage II Exhaust, Potenza RE71R, LidBone, Stebel Nautilus AirHorn
First mid-engine drive: '74 Porsche 914 2.0 in Solar Yellow (Dad's car)
BEST mid-engine drive: '05 Lotus Elise in Saffron YELLOW!!!

Last edited by AtlantaLotusLove; 08-31-2013 at 07:28 PM.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Closer than you think

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaLotusLove View Post
Your squirrels must have left your car to nest in mine!

I'm hearing something between a rattle and a squeak that seems to also be transmitted through the steering column. It's mostly noted at lower speeds, worse when the car goes over bumps, or in turning the wheel. I lubed the steering joints visible above the wheel well to no avail.

Any ideas?
You did mean above the "foot well" (in the area just above your knees and ankles) right? Your squeak symptoms sound otherwise exactly like mine.

BTW, I later found that WD now makes white lithium lubricant in the same can and applicator style as WD-40. I re-applied that, with help from my much younger and more flexible son, and my steering joints remain silent.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 07:35 PM
Yellow Fever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR82DRV View Post
You did mean above the "foot well" (in the area just above your knees and ankles) right? Your squeak symptoms sound otherwise exactly like mine.

BTW, I later found that WD now makes white lithium lubricant in the same can and applicator style as WD-40. I re-applied that, with help from my much younger and more flexible son, and my steering joints remain silent.
Yep, I meant 'foot well', thanks for pointing that out, I corrected it above.

I think I'll try the lube you mentioned this time, and maybe a little more generously, too, and see if that does anything. If not, I'll probably take it to the mechanic to get it checked out; I suppose it could be something further down in the steering linkage...

--Doug Stratton--

'05 Elise in Saffron Yellow ,Sport pack, ForceFed Intake, Stage II Exhaust, Potenza RE71R, LidBone, Stebel Nautilus AirHorn
First mid-engine drive: '74 Porsche 914 2.0 in Solar Yellow (Dad's car)
BEST mid-engine drive: '05 Lotus Elise in Saffron YELLOW!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Maintenance and Repairs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in