The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Toe Link Upgrade - InoKinetic or BOE & Why?

14K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  machine.gun.kelly 
#1 ·
Want to upgrade my toe-links, trying to decide between the InoKinetic at $250 or the BOE set up at $210. I would appreciate any users insights / recommendations.

Thanks guys!

#3 ·
This has been discussed many a time, there is no definitive answer. Any of the available upgrades will work just fine, pick the one you think is best for your purpose. If you track your car, check the suspension fasteners every time before the event, if only street driven check them annually. That said, I have the DRS from InoKinetic.

:grin2:

#5 · (Edited)
Sorry typo, yes it's the DS Brace. :smile2:

PS: When I installed mine I used a dial indicator on the rotor for reference. I worked out really close to the original spec, still had an alignment done.

Attachments

#6 ·
First of all, there is no need to upgrade the toe links - there is nothing wrong with them. The problem is the inner toe link bolt tend to fail. Lotus designed a brace that connect the two bolts and put them both into double shear instead of single shear and bending - effectively doubling the strength of the bolt. The aftermarket sale of toe links with a fix for the inner bolts is a waste of money if the wishbones aren't upgraded at the same time. If you have no intentions of upgrading your wishbones, there is no need to upgrade the toe links. Those also add weight.

Reactions: Smoky
#7 · (Edited)
I don't understand the mentality of saying don't upgrade the links because the bolt is the problem, then suggesting the alternative of adding a brace, followed by a point about adding weight. I also don't understand why wishbones would seem mandatory along with toe link replacement. I'm quite sure that adding a brace will add weight, and it doesn't really address the first point, that the bolt hardware itself is the real problem. Suppose I consider upgrading toe links with stronger bolts to solve the weak bolt as a "band aid", well then, adding a brace to the existing bolts is surely a "band aid" at best? I also think it's worth pointing out that Lotus did not originally design their brace along with the car; if I'm not mistaken, it was added later, presumably to address the failing part.

Meanwhile, I believe Inokinetic and BOE have proven that their toe links both drop weight compared to stock. So if adding weight is a real concern, it would seem adding a brace is not the best solution. Replacing the hardware with something both stronger and lighter would seem to resolve the primary problem and weight concern.

The BOE "1/2 link" will remove the concern about the bolts being too weak and I think it may be the strongest hardware solution. It's also one of the least expensive options. It does require drilling, which can be a turn off.

InoKinetic's TLUkit leads me to believe it is only intended to be used with a brace. To implement that in the way it is intended, wouldn't the car need a brace already, or you need to add one? So it's not going to be as light, or as inexpensive, but has the advantage of being a reversible install.

#9 ·
I don't understand the mentality of saying don't upgrade the links because the bolt is the problem, then suggesting the alternative of adding a brace, followed by a point about adding weight. I also don't understand why wishbones would seem mandatory along with toe link replacement.
In the interest of both peace of mind and safety, I'm going with the InoKinetic DS brace set up. It's a proven system and the fact that it requires no permanent modifications is appealing to me.

#10 ·
I have to add this important point. Whether you have the single sheer OEM solutoin, the double sheer OEM solution, Inokinetic, whatever. You still should be checking the torques on these bolts on a regular basis.

If you've got a street driven car I think there's little value to upgrading so long as you regularly check the torque on the bolts. For a tracked car, any double sheer option, and regular checks of the bolt torque. The KEY is regular checks of the bolt torque. For the street, give it a check when you change the oil.

As a practical matter, I think the weights of the various solutions are overblown.

#12 ·
Forgive me, I'm pretty new to this type of thing. I don't track my car, so have been putting this mod off.

The heart of the matter is that a bolt isn't torqued enough from the factory, or through regular use becomes loose? Which exact bolt is this, and do you know the torque spec? Did Lotus upgrade it at all, or just tell everyone to check it regularly?

#14 · (Edited)
Supposedly once the bolt nut comes loose, it puts strain on the actual toe link bolt, and the bolt will eventually snap..which is the toe link failure. If you go under your car to torque this nut, and it's already loose... you need to replace the toe link as it's now been compromised.

Regarding these threads that always seem to pop up: These back and forth debates are always based on hearsay, and I never see any actual tested scientific data to back people's opinions, just members repeating something they've read and taking it as the truth. Just because someone says something online, and confirmation bias follows, doesn't make it true.

At the end of the day, I think we can all agree that the toe links need to be replaced, but I have even read accounts on this forum of the aftermarket options failing. Whether that was an improper install, etc, I do not know.

Also note that the "toe link brace" is different from the actual toe link replacement.

#17 ·
We know that this fastener gets loose with use, and I don't need a scientific study to know that less than specified torque values lead to premature failures in fasteners. There ARE plenty of studies out there on this concept, just not specific to the lotus application. I don't need a bulletin from Lotus to know its a good idea to keep an eye on this particular thing based on the observable evidence.

If you want to go double-sheer, go ahead, but please don't forget to check the bolts. Double sheer does not keep the bolts from loosening.

#18 · (Edited)
What prompted me to install the BOE solution is that I believe it is more fault-tolerant. By fault, I mean if the torque falls to (some percentage) less than the specified value, the fastener is less likely to fail than the OEM-sized fastener ... whether the latter is in double-shear or not.

There are some components that I am willing to pay a weight penalty to get a more robust system. Since loss of rear wheel location is such a catastrophic event, I want a fault-tolerant, robust system. The argument that you only need to upgrade your toe links if you track your car is unconvincing. I most certainly drive on public roads in a way that loads the suspension with forces equal to those experienced on the track.

Finally, if you are improving your car’s safety (and this one keeps you alive and out of the ditch), I just don’t get all the hand-wringing about being able to reverse that mod. If I undid all the improvements I’ve made to my car - safety-related and otherwise - it would be a pretty miserable car to operate.

Glen

#19 ·
The argument that you only need to upgrade your toe links if you track your car is unconvincing.
There has to be some guidance with advice. Clearly the single sheer is an acceptable solution given a set of conditions, so if tracking isn't the line... what is? Honestly I think a lot of "fixes" get sold using fear.

#23 ·
Another point regarding some of the aftermarket toe links, including the Inokinetic and BOE kits: I recommend adding boots or seals to protect the otherwise exposed Heim joints from dirt and grime (see Seals-It rod end boots and seals). With or without boots or seals, the toe links should be inspected regularly to make sure the rod ends still articulate freely. A seized (or sticky) Heim joint (rod end) will greatly increase the stress on the bolts and on the link itself.

HTH, -Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.