The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

True DIY Times Mods & Jobs

39K views 49 replies 28 participants last post by  bri3d 
#1 · (Edited)
As many that read my posts can surmise I'm a hands on guy. I an fortunate to have the knowledge, skills and tools to perform most jobs and mods.One thing that I think would be helpful to people using this board is real times for DIY jobs and mods. I define a real-time for a job as the time that elapses between pulling your lotus into the garage to pulling it out with the job completed. I think some posts may state an artificially short time for a install not including the time to take off wheels , pans ect. This came to mind when I installed the force fed damper( see post). We could make this a sticky for true DIY times I'll start.

Install Nitrons includes lifting or jacking,R&R wheels and top front shock mounts 2-2 1/2hrs note does not include setting ride height corner balance or alignment add 3-4hrs(trust me i've done this many times)

Force fed damper 1 1/2hrs add 1/2hs for RTD brace.

Oil and filter 1hr

Change front brake pads 3/4hr, remember all times include jacking and R&R wheels.

Change rear pads 1 1/4 hrs.

Change springs on Nitrons or Olnins 3-4hr includes resetting corner bal and ride height check alignment but no adjustment.

Install Sector 111 RTD brace and reset rear toe and thrust angle 3-3 1/2hrs.

This is a start. carl

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
My addition, when I get the rest of the parts, will be: Cutting rear bulkhead trim panel, placing speaker pods, and installing a Lotus harness bar.

Removing trim panel: 15 mins.
Measuring for cuts to trim panel: 20 mins.
Cutting rear bulkhead trim panel for harness bar: 5 mins per side
Cutting rear bulkhead trim panel for speaker pods: 2 hours (includes cut, test fit, fettle, test fit, bang head on wall)
Pop riveting speaker pods: 3 mins (includes drilling holes for rivets)
Replace trim panel: 5 mins. (not including putting passenger seat back in)
Placement of OEM harness bar: 20 mins with one 30 sec cuss break
Replace speakers: 2 mins
Replace passenger seat: 10 mins

#4 · (Edited)
Hub/bearing carrier

approx 2 hours... Jack car, remove wheel, remove castle nut cotter pin, remove castle nut, remove three hub bolts (the hard part, tough to get to and probably rusted - removing undertray for wrench clearance is probably necessary). Use a gear puller to remove hub, then replace new hub, connect ABS sensor, replace three hub bolts, replace castle nut, replace cotter pin, replace wheel.

You will need a shallow 19mm 6pt socket, a 19mm offset box-end wrench, several extensions, a breaker bar, a torque wrench, an impact wrench, and a 30mm impact socket. (and an air compressor) Oh, and a propane torch may come in handy if you do have really rusty stuck bolts like I did.

#5 ·
approx 2 hours... Jack car, remove wheel, remove castle nut cotter pin, remove castle nut, remove three hub bolts (the hard part, tough to get to and probably rusted - removing undertray for wrench clearance is probably necessary). Use a gear puller to remove hub, then replace new hub, connect ABS sensor, replace three hub bolts, replace castle nut, replace cotter pin, replace wheel.
did the bearing fail?year miles? carl

#6 ·
I've had three wheel bearing failures so far on my car, an early 2005. (both together at about 18,000, and left rear at 38,000). Lots of track time, though. Easy part to replace, and reasonably cheap at about $120 retail.

The first replacements were covered by Lotus under warranty, but the third was mine... and a big :clap: to Qais at southbay, btw... he got me a slightly used hub for free. Thanks again, Qais!

I do tend to favor a little oversteer in my setup, and I use the curbing aggressively. So I'm not really all that surprised.

#7 ·
I've had three wheel bearing failures so far on my car, an early 2005. (both together at about 18,000, and left rear at 38,000). Lots of track time, though. Easy part to replace, and reasonably cheap at about $120 retail.

The first replacements were covered by Lotus under warranty, but the third was mine... and a big :clap: to Qais at southbay, btw... he got me a slightly used hub for free. Thanks again, Qais!
interesting haven't heard of any others, good info. thanks carl
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41246&highlight=wheel+bearings

#8 ·
Carl

How about the time to do:
1) the milled steering arms and resetting front toe
2) fettling of '07 air scoop
3) catch can install
4) cat removal and re-install

:) :)

#20 ·
Craig, you are not that far away, give me a call for help to do stuff. I was just down at PL Seafoods.

P.S. My exhaust changes are about 60 minutes.

Diffuser off in 4 minutes.

Top on or off in 25 seconds.

All four tires swapped in 10 minutes 20 seconds

Removing rear clam 2 hours

Removing front clam 2 hours

Replacing uprights. FORVEVER. :(

Installing LSD into tranny 10 hours once tranny is out.

Changing air filter (with taking rear wheel off) 30 minutes.

#24 ·
Quick disconnect type steering wheel:

Start to finish according to supplied instructions: 0.75 hours actually sitting there doing the work, plus 0.5 hours for time spent reading the instructions, inventory the hardware/fasteners, getting out and putting away tools, etc.

Total time spent 1.25 hours.

#26 ·
Check torque on rear toe links (with rear panel and heat shield removed): 30 minutes, including getting the car up and down from ramps and having the socket roll just out of reach once under the car.
;)

#30 ·
Washing the Lotus with Tutoiral #1, clay bar the entire car (dirty spots), Zaino, buff: 3½ hours.

Damn, I just realized that I forgot to detail.

Going to clean the interior leather tomorrow, then put on protectant. Will probably take another hour.

#35 ·
hi, i had to jump start my 2002 elise s2 and now my speedo and rev counter needles are out of alignment, have you a quick fix solution please.
Your owner's manual outlines the guage cluster reset procedure. It is something simple like open the door, hold down the trip odometer reset button, turn on the key. I said something simple LIKE that. I don't know it by heart, so check your manual.

xtn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.